Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Monitor 2 lines with dslstats?  (Read 2115 times)

steve_v

• Just arrived
Monitor 2 lines with dslstats?
« on: July 04, 2021, 07:37:12 PM »

Hello All,

I have been using dslstats to monitor my line and have been able to identify a couple of interference sources that have caused ES's that have caused my line to be capped at 20Mbps.

I have recently added a second line as I am working from home and there are 6 people in the house, with numerous devices connecting to the internet.

I would like to set up dslstats to monitor both lines. Can anyone explain how to do this on a Windows PC? If I try to run the exe, even in another directory, it exits as it detects the first instance.

Alternatively, is it possible to set up a Raspberry Pi to monitor both lines?

Best regards,

Steve

tiffy

• Kitizen
Re: Monitor 2 lines with dslstats?
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2021, 08:53:37 PM »

I would like to set up dslstats to monitor both lines

I believe this has been asked before and from memory, no, can't currently find the post, I'am sure the program originator, "Roseway" will be able to provide a definitive answer.

My suggestion would be to run 2 RPi ZW's, each directly powered from respective routers USB ports, very modes outlay, Wi-Fi connected to your Windows PC using VNC free client utility.
Vodafone FTTP 200/28, VF THG3000 Hub

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2021, 09:13:31 PM »

Try renaming the dslstats.exe file.

If memory serves me correctly I also had to change another directory when trying to get this working.

I can't even remember if I got it working or if I ended up using a raspberry pi for the 2nd dslstats instance.

Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

steve_v

• Just arrived
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2021, 09:29:12 PM »

Try renaming the dslstats.exe file.

If memory serves me correctly I also had to change another directory when trying to get this working.

I can't even remember if I got it working or if I ended up using a raspberry pi for the 2nd dslstats instance.

Firstly, thank you for such a quick response!

I did think of trying that but was concerned that the software was trying to stop me from running two instances for some technical reason that might result in losing the first line setup and/or data.

However, I've just given it a try and it seems to work fine! Both my modems are connected to an Edgerouter X for load balancing and it is set up to give access to each modem.

It will be really helpful to see the graphs for each modem side by side. I primarily want to see the CRCs and ES on each line to see if the problem is isolated to the first line.

The first line is with EE and the second is PlusNet. The problem with the EE line is that it will be the standard profile rather than the speed profile and so I really need to get the errors down to get the 20Mps banding removed.

Best regards,

Steve

steve_v

• Just arrived
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2021, 09:47:14 PM »

I believe this has been asked before and from memory, no, can't currently find the post, I'am sure the program originator, "Roseway" will be able to provide a definitive answer.

My suggestion would be to run 2 RPi ZW's, each directly powered from respective routers USB ports, very modes outlay, Wi-Fi connected to your Windows PC using VNC free client utility.

Thank you for your suggestion. I did search before posting but maybe didn't look carefully enough.

I do have other PCs and a Raspberry Pi available so could use those and monitor via the webserver facilities in dslstats. I also considered using a VM as I want to have as little equipment running as possible while I monitor the lines over night - at least some of the errors seem to come from the electrical stuff in the house.

Thanks to j0hn's suggestion, I have got two instances of dslstats running and so far, all seems to be running OK.

Thanks,

Steve

anything