Computers & Hardware > PC Hardware

SDD to HDD

(1/3) > >>

maxheadroom:
I have a SSD and HDD in my PC and was wondering if there is a way of copying the full SSD to the HDD so if the SSD dies i still have a working PC.

If this is possible could someone explain how to do it, thanks.

tiffy:
I use Macrium Reflect (free edition) for backing up,cloning, imaging my HDD's or SSD's, always worked well for me and quite friendly to use once the basics have been mastered.
Many other such utilities are available but Macrium Reflect is my personal preferance.

I found this youtube tutorial to be very informative on use of Macrium Reflect especially with respect to cloning/copying to/from media of different sizes without creating unusable disk space in the process.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CHCENfs87F4

The tutorial shows cloning HDD to SSD but the reverse procedure would be the same.
Creating a backup image of your HDD or SSD to a secure storage area is very simple and easily achieved with this utility.

Edit: Another good, simple Macrium Reflect youtube tutorial:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UTsq-HHz0Ss

maxheadroom:
Thanks for your help,  i did a bit of searching and found a free backup prog and have backed up the OS to the HDD from the SSD i tried going into bios to change the boot order to see if it works but i cannot find away of switching to the HDD from the SSD so as i don't really know what i am doing i will leave it and hope if the SSD dies it will work, if not i haven't lost anything as until today i had no backup.

g3uiss:
When you plug into the 1st ATA it will work fine. Also Acronis is a good imaging tool and there is a free trial

tiffy:

--- Quote from: maxheadroom on July 03, 2021, 04:44:55 PM ---Thanks for your help,  i did a bit of searching and found a free backup prog and have backed up the OS to the HDD from the SSD i tried going into bios to change the boot order to see if it works but i cannot find away of switching to the HDD from the SSD so as i don't really know what i am doing i will leave it and hope if the SSD dies it will work, if not i haven't lost anything as until today i had no backup.

--- End quote ---

If you have actually cloned the SSD the best check method is to substitute the drives in the PC and make sure it boots up on the HDD, that's assuming that your HDD is 2.5" format if the PC is a laptop.
If the PC in question is a desktop then this should be easily achievable by just swapping the SATA & power connectors may not be so easy if it's a laptop.

I prefer to adopt this method on my desktop PC which does not require any changes in the BIOS and is a positive test that the backup drive will actually boot should it ever be required.
However, a disk image stored to a secure medium should really be sufficient to restore your complete SSD to another drive of your choice should failure ever occur, the choice is yours!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version