Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Need help with diagnosing intermittent network connection please  (Read 1242 times)

cosrush

I have an annoying issue on our home network and I can't put my finger on what it is. I am not a network engineer or the like but do have some basic knowledge of networking.

My setup:
ZyXel modem running in bridge mode to a TP Link router.
We have nearly all wired connections directly to the router. One port on each router goes to each of my kids bedrooms where it meets a TP Link 5 port switch.
They both haver Pc's and Tvs both wired from the switch. All cabling CAT5e.

One of the rooms hardly ever has any issues whilst the other experiences intermittent lagging that leaves his connection unplayable. His games lag to the point where he can't play and his chats stop too.

I'm at my wits end (and extent of knowledge to help) so I'm hoping some of you experienced people can please offer some advice as to what I could check.

Thanks in advance.

cosrush

Re: Need help with diagnosing intermittent network connection please
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2021, 08:53:04 PM »

Oh and I should add, I just replaced the modem and router as this issue started happening and I thought it could be related. It doesn't appear so.

I have carried out virus scans and nothing is found.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2021, 09:19:21 PM »

At the TP-Link router, swap the two network cables going from it to room-1 and to room-2. Does the "badness" change rooms?

If no, then you have a problem with the Ethernet cable running from the router to the "bad" room or there is a problem with the TP-Link 5 Port switch located in the "bad" room.

If yes, then you have a problem with the port on TP-Link router.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

cosrush

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2021, 09:47:48 PM »

At the TP-Link router, swap the two network cables going from it to room-1 and to room-2. Does the "badness" change rooms?

If no, then you have a problem with the Ethernet cable running from the router to the "bad" room or there is a problem with the TP-Link 5 Port switch located in the "bad" room.

If yes, then you have a problem with the port on TP-Link router.

Thanks burakkucat for the reply,

I did swap the 2 cables at the router and it made no difference. I have already bought a new cable as that was what I was planning to do next.

I guess based on your suggestion it would appear the cable could well be the problem. I'll try that.

Thanks again.  :)

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2021, 11:28:04 PM »

I did swap the 2 cables at the router and it made no difference. I have already bought a new cable as that was what I was planning to do next.

I guess based on your suggestion it would appear the cable could well be the problem. I'll try that.

The Ethernet cable or the TP-Link 5 port switch in the "bad" room.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

tickmike

• Kitizen
  • Yes Another Penguin !. :)
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2021, 01:11:11 AM »

Bad room, swap switch over to good room then put that switch in bad room.

Only do one change at a time so you know what you have changed is the cause.  :-\

I have had some strange things happen when the switch starts to go wrong, some times it's the power supply
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

cosrush

« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2021, 09:10:53 AM »

The Ethernet cable or the TP-Link 5 port switch in the "bad" room.

Thanks for pointing that out, I'll try swapping the switches first. If that doesn't help I'll fit the new cable from the router to the switch.
Bad room, swap switch over to good room then put that switch in bad room.

Only do one change at a time so you know what you have changed is the cause.  :-\

I have had some strange things happen when the switch starts to go wrong, some times it's the power supply

Thanks again  :)