Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Hg612 + Eero on Vodafone  (Read 1529 times)

bigviv

• Just arrived
Hg612 + Eero on Vodafone
« on: July 02, 2021, 01:46:00 PM »

I've been given an Hg612 and want to use it instead of the Vodafone hub, I also have a few eeros scattered throughout the house.

I've been trying to use the various different guides on how to set it all up but cannot seem to get the hg612 to connect to the eero (the eeros don't handle PPPOE so need the hg612 to do the PPPOE authentication).

Anyone know how to set up the hg612 to authenticate and then pass to the eeros to handle the WiFi and networking etc.

Any help appreciated, otherwise I'll have to keep double natting  :no:

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
Re: Hg612 + Eero on Vodafone
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2021, 05:48:10 PM »

Welcome to the kitz forum.  :)

I've been given an Hg612 and want to use it instead of the Vodafone hub, . . .

. . . but cannot seem to get the hg612 to connect to the eero (the eeros don't handle PPPOE so need the hg612 to do the PPPOE authentication).

Please be aware that the HG612 is somewhat underpowered when used as anything other than a bridging modem. However, the following steps should be all that is necessary --
  • Connect to the HG612 via its LAN2 port.
  • With a web-browser, go to the 192.168.1.1 IPv4 address and login with admin/admin credentials.
  • Go to the Basic --> WAN page.
  • Under the Port Binding heading, deselect both LAN1 and LAN2.
  • For Connection Mode select Route.
  • For Connection Type select PPPoE.
  • In the User name box enter your service username.
  • In the Password box enter your service password.
  • Left click on Submit.
The HG612 will now handle the PPPoE connection.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2021, 05:59:08 PM »

Welcome to the kitz forum.  :)

Please be aware that the HG612 is somewhat underpowered when used as anything other than a bridging modem. However, the following steps should be all that is necessary --
  • Connect to the HG612 via its LAN2 port.
  • With a web-browser, go to the 192.168.1.1 IPv4 address and login with admin/admin credentials.
  • Go to the Basic --> WAN page.
  • Under the Port Binding heading, deselect both LAN1 and LAN2.
  • For Connection Mode select Route.
  • For Connection Type select PPPoE.
  • In the User name box enter your service username.
  • In the Password box enter your service password.
  • Left click on Submit.
The HG612 will now handle the PPPoE connection.

That's NAT mode though, I think they are trying to use the mode where it spoofs the IP via DHCP.  I'm not aware of anyone getting that mode to work however.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

bigviv

• Just arrived
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2021, 08:59:28 AM »

yes, it's the dhcp spoofing i was hoping some got working!

never mind, i'm double natting for now, any suggestions on a cheap modem which can also manage pppoe (and then leave the eero's to do the wifi grunt work)

thanks again!

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2021, 11:51:26 PM »

Modems generally wont work like that because its a hacky way of doing it.

Also a good router will have dramatically more horsepower to handle the PPP sessions than a modem, so using the modem to do the PPP potentially would be slower.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

bigviv

• Just arrived
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2021, 10:31:20 AM »

Got it, thanks a lot for your responses!

Would a ZyXEL VMG8924 work in this scenario? (been offered one to use)

thanks again

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2021, 02:01:53 PM »

For DHCP spoofing?  I don't think so.  Its not a common feature as like I said its a hack trying to get around the limitation of not having more than one public IP address to work with.

You can also see where we looked into this on the HG612 a long time ago and a few people claimed its possible to make it work, but I highly recommend against it.
https://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php/topic,11640.msg257922.html

bigviv

• Just arrived
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2021, 02:09:29 PM »

I mean to use the Zyxel to manage the PPPOE authentication and then run the eero's for routing and wifi?

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2021, 11:56:17 PM »

I mean to use the Zyxel to manage the PPPOE authentication and then run the eero's for routing and wifi?

I'm not aware of ANY device that operates like that (other than in theory the HG612) unless you have a block of IPv4 addresses and use standard routing.

But I'm kinda confused, isn't the Eero only a WiFi Access Point mesh?  If so it shouldn't need to do NAT itself so you're not running into a double-NAT by using the Zyxel as a full router.

hushcoden

• Reg Member
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2021, 03:53:57 PM »

yes, it's the dhcp spoofing i was hoping some got working!

never mind, i'm double natting for now, any suggestions on a cheap modem which can also manage pppoe (and then leave the eero's to do the wifi grunt work)

thanks again!
See if you can get a Draytek Vigor 130 at a reasonable price - Here the config steps: https://draytek.co.uk/support/guides/kb-vigor-130-bridge

Besides, do you need the advanced features of the eero? If not, have you tried to keep using the Vodafone router and putting your eero network into bridge mode?

meritez

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2021, 06:42:54 PM »

Could you order a /30 from Vodafone and pass the second public static IP to the eero?

This would remove the nat issue you are facing.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2021, 05:41:56 AM »

Could you order a /30 from Vodafone and pass the second public static IP to the eero?

This would remove the nat issue you are facing.

Considering the scarcity of IP addresses that would not only likely be expensive, but very wasteful too.