Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8

Author Topic: ADSL2+ Upgraded to VDSL2  (Read 9414 times)

g3uiss

• Kitizen
  • You never too old to learn but soon I may be
    • Midas Solutions
Re: ADSL2+ Upgraded to VDSL2
« Reply #30 on: July 16, 2021, 02:58:03 PM »

Really great engineer. No issues with the line as anticipated. He was going to do a port swap but there are no spare ports, which I sort of suspected. He was very open to me mentioning the card issue and agrees it’s a sensible next step and is contacting appropriate team to do this. Not sure how long that would take.
Cerebus FTTP 500/70 Draytec 2927 VOXI 4G fallback.

g3uiss

• Kitizen
    • Midas Solutions
« Reply #31 on: July 16, 2021, 06:09:20 PM »

The very helpful engineer after spending 3hrs at the cab advised me he was able to try two other ports, neither of which were any better. He did say he thought they would be on the same card. He said the unloaded US at the cabinet was poor and loaded at 400m was very low. So he confirmed it’s a issue with the card and has now passed up the chain. He didn’t have any idea of timescales so not sure what and when something will happen

However I’ve noticed g.inp is now active on DS and US is interleaved. Not sure how that’s occurring on an ECI cab ???

« Last Edit: July 16, 2021, 06:12:22 PM by g3uiss »

g3uiss

• Kitizen
    • Midas Solutions
« Reply #32 on: July 18, 2021, 11:32:11 AM »

g.inp removed early hours and DS interleaved US interleaved ( high). Think from memory that’s what happens. Have 24ms delay in total now 😢. Still awaiting update from OR or Zen.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #33 on: July 18, 2021, 12:19:52 PM »

Interesting about seeing the g.inp in what traditionally would have been 'open profile' period.   It's the first time I've seen that occur either on ECI or Huawei. 

afaik from an engineer reset it would be open for up to 24hrs, then move to 'default'.  Default being the same as the profile used after an ISP requested 'remote reset' that involves interleaving.

Wonder if anyone else has seen that on their travels?   @J0hn?
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #34 on: July 18, 2021, 12:28:48 PM »

>> So he confirmed it’s a issue with the card and has now passed up the chain.

Hope that he has and that something can be done about that.   
They don't seem to like changing the line cards in the DSLAM,  but you may be lucky and get a lift and shift to a different card*.   

*Correct me if I'm wrong as I haven't checked your live stats, but I think you said your other line showed the different f/w version indicating that there is at least one of the other line cards in your cab.... so hoping there is a spare port available.  :fingers: 
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

g3uiss

• Kitizen
    • Midas Solutions
« Reply #35 on: July 18, 2021, 12:32:47 PM »

@kitz Yes that's right, the other circuit is on the more common card / software. The engineer confirmed the speed at the cab was poor he did try another port but it was on the same card so NO difference was seen. I assume if they will not change the card, as you suggest, I just have to live with this performance, or go back to ADSL2+ which performed much better

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #36 on: July 18, 2021, 01:01:09 PM »

In a way  its a good thing that you were able to point out the difference to him, and that he took that onboard and has passed it higher.  I really hope that someone takes note.

No disrespect to OR engineers, but not all would be aware of anything DSLAM related as their training is just related to the wires.   In the past I've had an engineer who didn't  even properly understand SNR and another who thought FEC was worse than CRC.   Conversely I've also had some very good ones who attempt to go the extra mile for a fix.   Thankfully you seem to have got a decent one. :)   

Swapping out the line card involves a different team and a small amount of downtime for everyone attached to the line card.  I'm not saying they don't do so.  I guess it will depend on how service impacting it is for those on the particular card.   BS may know more about trying to push for a line card swap out.   
-----

g3uiss

• Kitizen
    • Midas Solutions
« Reply #37 on: July 18, 2021, 01:18:04 PM »

In a way  its a good thing that you were able to point out the difference to him, and that he took that onboard and has passed it higher.  I really hope that someone takes note.

He was very interested to see and listen, although I was very cautious as its their job not mine. He was grateful for the "steer" so yes a good engineer. Not sure how or what happens now, Zen dodnt seem to see anything and are wanting to send another engineer, I would have expected this would be visible on his notes. Hopefully @BS might see this and advise4  :P

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #38 on: July 18, 2021, 06:19:07 PM »

No disrespect to OR engineers, but not all would be aware of anything DSLAM related as their training is just related to the wires.   In the past I've had an engineer who didn't  even properly understand SNR and another who thought FEC was worse than CRC.   Conversely I've also had some very good ones who attempt to go the extra mile for a fix.   Thankfully you seem to have got a decent one. :)   

Swapping out the line card involves a different team and a small amount of downtime for everyone attached to the line card.  I'm not saying they don't do so.  I guess it will depend on how service impacting it is for those on the particular card.   BS may know more about trying to push for a line card swap out.   

Yeah my engineer listened to me and I got lucky in that respect.

On the DLM reset thing, after my engineer left, I noticed I was back on fast path, however I did not go back to interleaving after 24 hours, I have just stayed on fast path since.  So maybe open somehow is the default on engineer resets without it reverting to isp reset default?

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #39 on: July 18, 2021, 07:24:14 PM »

Wonder if anyone else has seen that on their travels?   @J0hn?

Nope it's a new one for me too.
Strange that it was added straight away on ECI, and strange again that it has since been removed.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

g3uiss

• Kitizen
    • Midas Solutions
« Reply #40 on: July 18, 2021, 07:52:57 PM »

The engineer never did a reset as at that time the line was on fast path( having gone fast path 3 days after but was commissioned .

When he changed ports the second time it came up with g.inp  the line stayed that way until Sunday AM and went interleaved with US as well which I didn’t understand as there were minimal errors.

g3uiss

• Kitizen
    • Midas Solutions
« Reply #41 on: July 21, 2021, 02:09:07 PM »

4th engineer been here, and at cab today. He advises that a LUNNS task needs to be completed, as the output from cab is still very low when loaded. He thinks this will take about 2 weeks. Not sure if anyone might suggest if this is correct, and if there is anything I can ask to speed up the process

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #42 on: July 21, 2021, 07:14:12 PM »

Generally, the process for a faulty port (lift & shift) would be to liaise with the helpdesk advisor, in order for them to test the spare ports available in the Cab, to see if a L&S would cure the customers issue.
Hard to put a nationwide percentage on it, but experience would tell me this is successful 80-90% of the time.

From time-to-time though, as part of this liaising procedure, it will be found that any number of the spare ports that exist also have faulty issues. The advisor has full access to the full cards performance and will scrutinise said card before making their next decision. It may simply require a full-card reset, but these things aren't done lightly for the obvious reason.

The advisor also has the ability to mark any spare ports as 'faulty', which can then 'force' the system into looking for a spare port on another card ... but only if one is available. If the Cab is at capacity, then there is nowhere left to go other than to raise a 'LLUMS Case' for one of the other BT departments (I forget now, BT Operate or something like that ??) to carry out a card change.

I can't comment on the turn-round time on these, at it is varied. Can you speed the process up ?? Not a cat in hell's chance, I'm afraid.

g3uiss

• Kitizen
    • Midas Solutions
« Reply #43 on: July 21, 2021, 07:57:00 PM »

Thanks for that @bs and sorry for  the misspelling of the process. So just sit and wait. Fortunately is US which isn’t quite as critical as the DS which is the same on both circuits. Interested if the time required is lack of engineering or disruption to other users. (I understand they tried the only other spare port but it was on the same card and gave the same results).

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #44 on: July 21, 2021, 08:12:10 PM »

Thanks for that @bs and sorry for  the misspelling of the process. So just sit and wait. Fortunately is US which isn’t quite as critical as the DS which is the same on both circuits. Interested if the time required is lack of engineering or disruption to other users. (I understand they tried the only other spare port but it was on the same card and gave the same results).

Don't worry about the spelling, mate ... took me 3yrs to understand what the advisors were saying !!. Looms, Lambs, Limbs - depends on the country dealing with you and their local accent  ;D

It's very hard to give a definite answer as to why they arrived at this decision, but I can tell you the process is all flow-charted to eliminate faux-pas.

They may well have looked at the cards performance across the board and decided it was operating within the 'cone of acceptance' requirements, for that particular instance ??

All pure guesswork. 
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8