Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Password manager  (Read 6906 times)

chenks

• Kitizen
Re: Password manager
« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2021, 07:13:15 PM »

But if your syncing via Google drive then you are using the cloud.

Also, if your device fails then surely you want your passwords saved somewhere to be able to restore them

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2021, 07:21:01 PM »

I dont put password file on there either, but it is a good point to others who may not realise that.

When I found out my chrome had shared a lot of old passwords with google cloud services I wasnt very happy.

petef

• Reg Member
« Reply #17 on: June 29, 2021, 10:09:34 PM »

I've been using https://keepass.info/ for years - it's free. It uses a secure file on your PC (not a cloud service). I use it not only for website passwords, but other personal info such as my NINO, NHS number, WiFi passwords. I have it on multiple PCs (desktop & laptop), and on my phone I use Keepass2Android. All the copies are kept in sync via Google drive. It's not straight forward setting up the linking, but once done it works really well.

That is exactly what I do. I chose KeePass a long time ago when it was the only (?) file based app that was available on Linux, Android and Windows.

adrianw

• Reg Member
« Reply #18 on: June 29, 2021, 10:31:25 PM »

When I found out my chrome had shared a lot of old passwords with google cloud services I wasnt very happy.
I use Chrome as a password manager. Can you say more about how Chrome had shared your passwords?

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #19 on: June 30, 2021, 02:01:55 AM »

It does worry me with having a neuro disease, and days when I cant remember certain words never mind passwords,  that at some point I will forget and not be able to log in when I need to. :/

I'm not sure its still the case, but my mum went through a period where every single time she needed to login to her bank she had to reset the password as she had forgotten it, even though she writes them down (with nothing to indicate which is which).

She doesn't use any password manager though as shes wary of them.  So there's only Netflix, Disney+, etc that I saved for her as they are my accounts.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

jelv

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #20 on: June 30, 2021, 09:28:16 AM »

But if your syncing via Google drive then you are using the cloud.

Also, if your device fails then surely you want your passwords saved somewhere to be able to restore them

So if you don't trust Google etc. use your own FTP site with synchroniser apps to update the local copies.
Broadband and Line rental: Zen Unlimited Fibre 2, Mobile: Vodaphone
Router: Fritz!Box 7530

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #21 on: June 30, 2021, 09:39:57 AM »

I use Chrome as a password manager. Can you say more about how Chrome had shared your passwords?

Yeah sure.

So I used to use chrome years ago and was letting it store (some, I never let browsers store banking/finance passwords) my passwords, then earlier this year, I decided to let google's android password manager store 2 passwords on a new phone for a couple of apps, then shortly after that google sent me an email they had found compromised passwords, from all sorts of accounts, and after a while I figured out what happened is they were checking the passwords I stored in chrome ages ago as i noticed many were out of date and no longer worked.

jelv

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #22 on: June 30, 2021, 11:42:11 AM »

Aren't the password stores on Choogle and Grome the same thing?

chenks

• Kitizen
« Reply #23 on: June 30, 2021, 11:43:54 AM »

So if you don't trust Google etc. use your own FTP site with synchroniser apps to update the local copies.

i wasn't commenting about trust.
was simply commenting that the original post said it didn't use the cloud, yet later on said it sycned to google drive (which is the cloud).
« Last Edit: June 30, 2021, 11:59:20 AM by chenks »

chenks

• Kitizen
« Reply #24 on: June 30, 2021, 11:45:38 AM »

i would have thought so, as all that chrome is doing is sycning your data to your google account.

jelv

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #25 on: June 30, 2021, 11:47:02 AM »

It only syncs to Google if you put the file on a Google drive directory (or OneDrive etc) - it only uses what it sees as local files. I've only started syncing between devices recently, before then it was on my NAS.

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #26 on: June 30, 2021, 12:05:33 PM »

They are but that wasnt obvious to me. e.g. on my phone I was never told it would be using a cloud sync service, therefore I assumed it was only locally stored.

I am aware of course chrome offers a sync service for the browser configuration.  That was typically disabled, but there was one occasion when I was trying to migrate a profile to another pc (they now block just copying your userprofile folder offline), I tried to use the sync service which failed miserably, I expect however it was that moment when those passwords got uploaded, this was several years ago now, and google waited until I authorised the password save on the android device to alert me to what they did.

Chunkers

• Reg Member
  • Brick Wall head-banger
« Reply #27 on: June 30, 2021, 02:32:58 PM »

Our family all use Dashlane, works pretty well on most platforms. Its syncs well and has a good password sharing system so you can manage passwords you have shared with other users and has browser integration across different browsers

Couldn't do without it tbh

It's not free unless you use for one device and less than 50 passwords though

chenks

• Kitizen
« Reply #28 on: June 30, 2021, 02:34:53 PM »

Our family all use Dashlane, works pretty well on most platforms. Its syncs well and has a good password sharing system so you can manage passwords you have shared with other users and has browser integration across different browsers

Couldn't do without it tbh

It's not free unless you use for one device and less than 50 passwords though

sounds pretty much identical to Bitwarden, except Bitwarden is completely free and open source.

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #29 on: June 30, 2021, 04:39:08 PM »

I've been watching this with interest. One thing does anyone where have any experience of KeePassXC? it seems to be a *nix version with a QT interface.

Stuart
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP
Pages: 1 [2] 3