Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Password manager  (Read 7003 times)

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Password manager
« on: June 29, 2021, 02:55:21 AM »

Wondering if those that previously used Lastpass have had to revisit their choice of password manager.   

One of the main benefits of a password manager is being able sync between my phone, tablet & desktop, but a couple of months ago Lastpass changed the ability to do so for their free users.   I mostly do everything on the PC, but there have been occasions where I've been caught out and forced to use my mobile.

Has this change has made anyone else reconsider choice of password manager, or if you have ended up paying the $36 per year. 
I've noticed that google chrome has recently started to suggest using their password manager to check strength of my passwords etc as it seems to have a record of 4 accounts that I must have let chrome save at some point despite the fact that Firefox is my main browser.   

Has anyone tried Firefox lockwise?   I do have some doubts about this though as the standard Firefox browser doesnt seem to cope too well with certain logins such as my Visa...  nor my banking which tend to ask for say 1st,2nd,3rd letters of my password before going through to other checks...  but no idea if lockwise will have the same limitations.

Any other recommendations welcomed please?
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
Re: Password manager
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2021, 03:26:35 AM »

Let's be honest, there's a lot of logins its fine to save but your bank/CC is probably not a great idea anyway.

I save my account number but am fine filling in the rest myself, wouldn't want it to save everything as that's such an insane security risk.

That said, I mostly use my phone as I can login with a fingerprint.  Anyones guess how safe that is.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2021, 06:58:15 AM »

I've got so many different logins that its impossible to remember them all.  When I was in hospital I couldnt even remember my password for this site to be able to log in.  I havent a hope in hell of remembering some of the more secure passwords I have.   

As regards to Bank, no those details are not saved anywhere aside from in my head...  but it really did my head in yesterday trying to check my banking, make a payment to my credit card..  and change details of new debit card where I frequently shop.   Must have taken me the best part of an hour to do something that should only have taken 10mins at the most.    I felt like I was having to jump through hoops simply because I got a new card and involved about half a dozen of those one time PINs they send to your phone.     My Visa log in has now got to the point I do have to refer to something 'on paper' as a reminder.   

My Bank account requires memorising a 10 digit no, entering a 3 random chars from my password, entering 2 security words, then using a small card size token generator (its like a tiny calculator) for which I have got through about another 2 steps one of which is entering my PIN, before I get a token code to enter into the website.  Yet despite going through all that I still ended up with them sending me passcodes to my phone.   Its almost like they are trying to discourage web logins on a desktop and want you to use their app on your phone. 

It does worry me with having a neuro disease, and days when I cant remember certain words never mind passwords,  that at some point I will forget and not be able to log in when I need to. :/
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

chenks

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2021, 08:19:00 AM »

i dumped Lastpass when they recently changed to charigng users to use mutiple devices.
i now use Bitwarden, and it seems that almost everyone you jumped shipped from Lastpass has moved over the Bitwarden

it was extremely easy to export the lastpass data to a CSV file and import it into bitwarden.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2021, 08:21:23 AM by chenks »

jelv

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2021, 08:49:25 AM »

I've been using https://keepass.info/ for years - it's free. It uses a secure file on your PC (not a cloud service). I use it not only for website passwords, but other personal info such as my NINO, NHS number, WiFi passwords. I have it on multiple PCs (desktop & laptop), and on my phone I use Keepass2Android. All the copies are kept in sync via Google drive. It's not straight forward setting up the linking, but once done it works really well.

Edit: it has import from Lastpass CSV and from Bitwarden JSON and many more.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2021, 08:53:08 AM by jelv »
Broadband and Line rental: Zen Unlimited Fibre 2, Mobile: Vodaphone
Router: Fritz!Box 7530

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2021, 10:18:29 AM »

I've used paid Roboform for years at home, took out I think it was a 5 year family plan a couple of years ago, so all the family use it.

I only use Lastpast at work, and that's purely on the PC, had I needed it on mobile I would have changed to something else.
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 550/52  ;D

jaydub

• Reg Member
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2021, 10:41:45 AM »

i dumped Lastpass when they recently changed to charigng users to use mutiple devices.
i now use Bitwarden, and it seems that almost everyone you jumped shipped from Lastpass has moved over the Bitwarden

it was extremely easy to export the lastpass data to a CSV file and import it into bitwarden.

Thanks, Chenks.

Probably didn't look at my Lastpass emails properly as still using Lastpass on an iMac and my Android phone, but might be paying through the nose for the pleasure.  Will take a look at Bitwarden.

craigv

« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2021, 11:41:27 AM »

+1 for Bitwarden here :) already use at work, after migrating from LastPass (before all the latest changes) and like chenks says, the import/export was simple.

Will be moving my personal stuff there too when time allows!
RedHotAnt Unlimited 56k -> NTL 750kbit cable -> Virgin Size 4mbit cable -> Sky 5mbit ADSL -> Zen Internet 25mbit VDSL ->  Zen Internet 900mbit FTTP

jelv

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2021, 12:05:07 PM »

Does Bitwarden work when you have no Internet connection?
Broadband and Line rental: Zen Unlimited Fibre 2, Mobile: Vodaphone
Router: Fritz!Box 7530

craigv

« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2021, 12:40:38 PM »

I can't speak for the mobile app, but the desktop app does.
RedHotAnt Unlimited 56k -> NTL 750kbit cable -> Virgin Size 4mbit cable -> Sky 5mbit ADSL -> Zen Internet 25mbit VDSL ->  Zen Internet 900mbit FTTP

chenks

• Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2021, 01:17:22 PM »

yes, as the data is sycned to devices, the only time it uses the cloud is to check for changes.

GigabitEthernet

• Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2021, 01:33:29 PM »

Just switched to Bitwarden from 1Password as the former is free.

I think 1Password is slicker and I love their team but money saved is money saved.

chenks

• Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2021, 03:20:42 PM »

bitwarden also gives you the option to self host rather than use bitwardens cloud service.

g3uiss

• Kitizen
  • You never too old to learn but soon I may be
    • Midas Solutions
« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2021, 03:32:44 PM »

RoboForm has been great for me over Windows and Apple devices.
Cerebus FTTP 500/70 Draytec 2927 VOXI 4G fallback.

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2021, 07:10:59 PM »

I've been using https://keepass.info/ for years - it's free. It uses a secure file on your PC (not a cloud service). I use it not only for website passwords, but other personal info such as my NINO, NHS number, WiFi passwords. I have it on multiple PCs (desktop & laptop), and on my phone I use Keepass2Android. All the copies are kept in sync via Google drive. It's not straight forward setting up the linking, but once done it works really well.

Edit: it has import from Lastpass CSV and from Bitwarden JSON and many more.

This as well, seems everyone wants to use cloud based services, I prefer local services that done use the internet at all.
Pages: [1] 2 3