Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: FTTP deployment for unducted properties  (Read 1127 times)

biohead

• Reg Member
FTTP deployment for unducted properties
« on: June 27, 2021, 12:37:26 PM »

Bracknell is on the recently published FTTP list (nice surprise!) for 2025, and a recent visit from OR has resulted in us working out that despite there being an OR duct to the centre of the cul-de-sac in question, it doesn't seem to be used. At least 4/6 properties are using the original cable from the 60's and it's all unducted.

In such cases, and as long as our cul-de-sac is going to be part of the FTTP deployment (I really hope so - no VM, too far for GFast and poor 4G coverage) I'm presuming they will have to lay new ducts up to and including on the property?

We were planning on getting the front garden/driveway done in the near future (hence the reason for the question) - but I feel it would be wiser to hold off for now.

broadstairs

• Kitizen
Re: FTTP deployment for unducted properties
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2021, 12:43:17 PM »

My understanding is that if you are fed from a pole with xDSL then you will be fed from a pole with FTTP. We have a brand new development of 2 houses next door and they are duct fed but the rest of the road will be pole fed.

Stuart
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

biohead

• Reg Member
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2021, 01:00:33 PM »

Sorry, forgot to make it clear.

When I say unducted, I mean an underground feed but there are no ducts - the cable just runs through the earth bare.

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2021, 01:18:27 PM »

Will need someone else to reply here as I'm not sure but I doubt they will lay fibre in the ground without a duct.

Stuart
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2021, 02:09:32 PM »

Sorry, forgot to make it clear.

When I say unducted, I mean an underground feed but there are no ducts - the cable just runs through the earth bare.

There's a couple options.
They could install poles.
They could micro-trench (dig a narrow channel) down the pavement.

Sometimes areas/streets are skipped for cost reasons but if it's a full rollout in the area they will do their best to cover you.

Will need someone else to reply here as I'm not sure but I doubt they will lay fibre in the ground without a duct.

Stuart

They very much do, similar to how Virgin do it.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

anything