Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Remote access & management of a VMG8924-B10A  (Read 531 times)

StuartR

• Just arrived
Remote access & management of a VMG8924-B10A
« on: June 26, 2021, 11:28:00 AM »

I have the Johnson firmware on a VMG8924-B10A which is great. Can someone suggest how I might access stats and control the router remotely. In particular I would like to be able to see the graphs that Johnson's firmware provides. I know how to ssh into the router but not how to access the web server running on the machine. I am often away from home for long periods and would like to be able to access connection info when away. Any help appreciated.

tiffy

• Kitizen
Re: Remote access & management of a VMG8924-B10A
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2021, 07:34:15 PM »

Having never implemented the Johnson monitoring FW can't really advise on modem/router GUI remote access.
However, as someone who worked away from home until retirement and remotely monitored my line stat's, son's and daughter's line stat's on FTTC VDSL-2 service can suggest running DSLStats on a Raspberry Pi using VNC free edition, worked very well, still does.

Remote access is to DSLStats GUI running Raspbian basic desktop program on the RPi's, never had any occasion to access the modem GUI as such.
First implemented when the excellent MDWS service was active to upload router stat's 24/7.

RPi's used were Zero-W models powered directly from the modem/router USB socket and Wi-Fi connected.
There are quite a few detailed posts in the "Router Monitoring Software" section explaining how this can be achieved.

Appreciate that this option would involve additional outlay, however, a RPi ZW + basic case if desired shouldn't break the bank, currently listed @ £9.30 + £5.00 for the case.
(8/16 Gb. SD card also required)
Don't know how the Johnson's stat's interface compares with DSLStats but don't think it was ever designed to be as comprehensive. 
Vodafone FTTP 200/28, VF THG3000 Hub

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2021, 08:21:59 PM »

Having never implemented the Johnson monitoring FW can't really advise on modem/router GUI remote access.

I think our friend Weaver would be the best person to ask, as I am somewhat uncertain about the remote access requirements.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

meritez

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2021, 10:37:05 PM »

If you're accessing from a static IP address, I can run through the management interface and locking it down to your IP address.

At work I have this setup for countless end users zyxel routers.
If you don't have a static IP address, I would recommend anydesk installed on a raspberry pi so you can access the graphical web interface to make changes.

anything