Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Porting EE VDSL number to A&A VOIP service  (Read 7380 times)

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
Re: Porting EE VDSL number to A&A VOIP service
« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2021, 07:25:04 PM »

Yes, but there are problems with several clients behind one NAT gateway, so there are several ways around it it seems.  Just working out if I care enough to make it work...

Android has a built in SIP client which you set up in the Calls app.  Seems to work well.

I did wonder if that was a thing now, not checked in many years.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

aesmith

• Kitizen
« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2021, 12:59:15 PM »

As a quick check you could see if your mobile can register without upsetting the home system, using 4G instead of your home wireless.  Assuming that works, another thing to try would be to change the source port on your Fritz box to something other that 5060.  I am not fully convinced that all SIP services necessarily support multiple concurrent logins,

aesmith

• Kitizen
« Reply #17 on: June 28, 2021, 01:07:25 PM »

I just tested at home and I can register a softphone to my SIP Gate account at the same time as the Gigaset.  When I called the number, both rang.

By the way I need to revoke my recommendation for Bria as a softphone.  Although in principle it's still free you have to sign up for a trial before you can download it.  My new test softphone is "Micro SIP" which is available as a portable application for Windows, you don't even need to install it.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2021, 01:09:28 PM by aesmith »

bogof

• Reg Member
« Reply #18 on: July 01, 2021, 06:41:27 PM »

As a quick check you could see if your mobile can register without upsetting the home system, using 4G instead of your home wireless.  Assuming that works, another thing to try would be to change the source port on your Fritz box to something other that 5060.  I am not fully convinced that all SIP services necessarily support multiple concurrent logins,
The AAISP control panel shows concurrent logins from my office softphone at another site (3CX) and the Fritzbox at home, and they both ring concurrently to incoming calls, so I think they support multiple logins fine.  As far as I can see the Fritzbox SIP client doesn't allow the source port to be changed, and neither does 3CX, though maybe I could do this in the router firewall instead.  Not sure.

I'm hesitant to use random SIP clients - they're obviously a vector for expensive mischief, though I've locked down the IP addresses AAISP will allow SIP calls on my account to originate from to my two fixed IP addresses.  I'm using 3CX, which was a free download. They are a significantly sized business in the UK with good track record of telephony services.

aesmith

• Kitizen
« Reply #19 on: July 02, 2021, 08:19:11 AM »

My point was that I had two SIP endpoints registered at the same time, through the same Internet connection.  So if that doesn't work for you that's probably not because of some inherent limit in SIP, but maybe something to do with your firewall or maybe the SIP service.  Does your Fritz box original its SIP from your inside LAN, and then apply NAT, or does it "grab" the outside IP address (so to speak)?  It's probably also a scenario where SIP inspection/ALG would be harmful, on hosted systems we've found only one phone can register until the ALG is disabled.

My test was using two devices on the inside LAN both going through the same NAT process to the same service, NAT done by a Zyxel router with ALG disabled.

I agree about random softphones, I mention that Micro SIP only for test purposes, and a portable application that doesn't actually install anything into Windows reduces any risk.

benji09

• Reg Member
« Reply #20 on: July 02, 2021, 10:36:00 PM »

I also confirm that Sipgate supports more than 1 phone with the same telephone number at the same time. I have been doing this for years in my home. The Sipgate  help pages cover the use of different ports for each sip phone ( or ATA box ) to prevent conflicts when used on the same network. It is an advantage to enable port forwarding on the sip ports used, to improve reliability.

bogof

• Reg Member
« Reply #21 on: July 03, 2021, 10:15:48 PM »

My point was that I had two SIP endpoints registered at the same time, through the same Internet connection. 
Had you manually configured them on separate ports?

aesmith

• Kitizen
« Reply #22 on: July 04, 2021, 08:29:03 AM »

No, just left them as their defaults. I can see Gigaset uses 5060 as its source port. MicroSIP uses a random source port by default, but it still works (at the same time as the Gigaset) if I manually configure it to use 5060 as well.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2021, 08:37:07 AM by aesmith »

aesmith

• Kitizen
« Reply #23 on: July 04, 2021, 08:33:36 AM »

I also confirm that Sipgate supports more than 1 phone with the same telephone number at the same time. I have been doing this for years in my home. The Sipgate  help pages cover the use of different ports for each sip phone ( or ATA box ) to prevent conflicts when used on the same network. It is an advantage to enable port forwarding on the sip ports used, to improve reliability.
With the Gigaset you shouldn't need to enable inbound NAT (port forwarding) assuming a normal stateful firewall.  The Gigaset sends out keep-alives sufficiently frequently to keep its particular port open.  I imagine any handset intended for this sort of service will do the same.  Consider in a hosted environment you may have many phones on the LAN, all on DHCP addresses, keeping inbound mappings configured on the firewall would be impossible.

I took Wireshark traces of various operations with a Gigaset 300 a while ago.  I can look them out.

But if you find your device requires a static inbound port mapped, I'd be more interested in what exactly it is doing.

benji09

• Reg Member
« Reply #24 on: July 05, 2021, 10:03:40 PM »

With my old G/S 486 ATAs, if the router got powered down, the phones would not work properly - voice transmission wise - unless a call had been made prior to an incoming call. Fine, if you knew that the router had lost power at some point, but if you were not around when the break took place, your phone calls would not work properly until the ATAs were restarted again. Port forwarding seems to get over this problem. Maybe my more recent ATAs would not suffer in the same way.   

aesmith

• Kitizen
« Reply #25 on: July 06, 2021, 08:46:37 AM »

It sounds like your ATA doesn't refresh it's registration (or not often enough), but your firewall is hanging onto that NAT entry long enough to compensate.  After rebooting the router the firewall won't allow SIP in until the ATA re-registers or does something else to trigger the NAT and firewall entry.

In comparison the Gigaset N300 registers with a 600 second expiry, but sends a small UDP packet every 20 seconds which keeps the NAT and firewall inspection alive.

benji09

• Reg Member
« Reply #26 on: July 21, 2021, 09:33:59 PM »

Thank you for the reply, but I have checked that all my ATA settings are correct as per the Sipgate site. But since carrying out port forwarding on my router, even if I switch everything off together, then switch everything on again, the Sipgate lines work normally again without my doing anything.
Pages: 1 [2]

anything