Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7

Author Topic: Crazy fault lost 2/3 sync speed.  (Read 9093 times)

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
Crazy fault lost 2/3 sync speed.
« on: June 25, 2021, 08:19:47 AM »

Line went down briefly just after midnight I assumed was an AAISP outage at time.

Noticed just now netflix is taking noticeably longer to buffer, and can see sync speed dropped from 74.5meg capped by myself all the way down to 27576kbit, and line is interleaved, in addition the line is failing to reach max upload speed.

Very bizarre.

The DLM action is not odd as I had high errors since around 5pm according to my graph, so that is normal but the drop in sync speed is massive.  I actually think this DLM behaviour is better than the old one where my line would be running with errors for 24 hours before action.

Sadly didnt get my wish of hassle free until FTTP.

The drop in sync speed happened when the errors started I only just noticed things been slower.

There is currently a faulty streetlamp right outside my house, it flashes on off all night, not sure if that has any relation though.  But notice the error rates were higher before 8am as well, so tonight will check times lamp starts flashing and try and see when it stops tomorrow.

Attenuation changed a fair bit.

Old stats

Max:    Upstream rate = 28242 Kbps, Downstream rate = 77244 Kbps
Bearer: 0, Upstream rate = 20000 Kbps, Downstream rate = 74481 Kbps

Link Power State:       L0
Mode:                   VDSL2 Annex B
VDSL2 Profile:          Profile 17a
TPS-TC:                 PTM Mode(0x0)
Trellis:                U:ON /D:ON
Line Status:            No Defect
Training Status:        Showtime
                Down            Up
SNR (dB):        6.8             10.9
Attn(dB):        15.2            0.0
Pwr(dBm):        5.0             5.0

New stats

Max:    Upstream rate = 19097 Kbps, Downstream rate = 25825 Kbps
Bearer: 0, Upstream rate = 18786 Kbps, Downstream rate = 26239 Kbps

Link Power State:       L0
Mode:                   VDSL2 Annex B
VDSL2 Profile:          Profile 17a
TPS-TC:                 PTM Mode(0x0)
Trellis:                U:ON /D:ON
Line Status:            No Defect
Training Status:        Showtime
                Down            Up
SNR (dB):        5.3             6.2
Attn(dB):        22.6            0.0
Pwr(dBm):        6.8             6.8
« Last Edit: June 25, 2021, 09:00:18 AM by Chrysalis »

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
Re: Crazy fault lost 2/3 sync speed.
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2021, 09:03:34 AM »

Old and new bitloading data.

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2021, 09:46:21 AM »

Also attaching hlog graphs, as some find these useful.

The line I can see from aaisp's logs is passing all tests, I am surprised GEA no longer auto fails on a large speed drop.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2021, 09:48:31 AM by Chrysalis »

RealAleMadrid

• Reg Member
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2021, 09:50:44 AM »

There has been a significant change in the line attenuation, the conclusion I would draw is that you have a copper line fault which needs to be fixed.

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2021, 10:27:02 AM »

So far I have gave it 10 mins, and offered aaisp to use test socket which its in now, just to rule this stuff out, I expect they will raise the fault. :(

The test socket feels quite loose though, its not a satisfying click followed by a snug fit.  If I wiggle it trying different positions there is no change though.

Thanks RealAle for the reply and advice.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2021, 10:30:22 AM by Chrysalis »

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2021, 11:00:51 AM »

Line went down briefly just after midnight I assumed was an AAISP outage at time.

Noticed just now netflix is taking noticeably longer to buffer, and can see sync speed dropped from 74.5meg capped by myself all the way down to 27576kbit, and line is interleaved, in addition the line is failing to reach max upload speed.

Very bizarre.

The DLM action is not odd as I had high errors since around 5pm according to my graph, so that is normal but the drop in sync speed is massive.  I actually think this DLM behaviour is better than the old one where my line would be running with errors for 24 hours before action.

Sadly didnt get my wish of hassle free until FTTP.

The drop in sync speed happened when the errors started I only just noticed things been slower.

The MTBE/MTBR figures quoted on the main site were very recently confirmed as still being applicable. 
The only changes that I'm aware of is the trial Temporal DLM system which Ive mentioned elsewhere  and that some ISPs may have some customers using the new GEA Stable profile, which is quite harsh.

From the linestat data you provided, the line speed dropped at about 7:30ish to below 27Mbps which looks to me like a result of a fault rather than anything to do with DLM because both your downstream & upstream SNRM also dropped drastically at this same time. 

After 7:30ish there was insufficient SNR left in your line to allow you to sync higher than 27Mbps, rather than being capped.   The drop in SNR can obviously be attributed to the increase in attenuation... suggesting a cooper fault.   
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2021, 11:09:37 AM »

btw your hlog is slightly wavy.  I wonder if running a GEA will show that as sufficiently noticeable enough to trigger 'bridge tap' on their system.   

Would be interesting if AAISP could run a GEA test for you.    Whatever way you need to get the decrease in [real]SNR and attenuation reported as a line fault asap.

---
PS
Just remembered that the AAISP CP allows you to run your own GEA test... in which case something you said indicating you may have run one now makes sense.   So apols if you did run one.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2021, 11:28:33 AM by kitz »
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2021, 11:55:49 AM »

They ran it here is the results I see kitz.

Test Description = GEA service test completed and no fault found .
Diagnostic Code = GTC_FTTC_SERVICE_0000, Sync Status = In Sync, NTE Power Status = PowerOn
Down Sync = 27Mbps, Up Sync = 19Mbps
REIN = Not Detected,
Test Outcome = Pass, Main Fault Location = OK

Also was a WLR test which passed.

I am still waiting for them to phone back, but I really wanted to be sure so I have now even swapped the modem.  Still no change of sync speed.  Thats why I got no live stats at the moment, the billion modem is plugged in.  I can see in its UI though its just under 30mbit sync.

Also yeah initially it was just a drop in line speed, but when it went down error rates went up as well, and DLM kicked in just after midnight which was the outage I noticed. (DLM only lost a further 2mbit or so of sync, its just an interleaving profile not banding I think).  I said in first post DLM did its job, it isnt the issue at hand. :)

Thank you.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2021, 12:13:06 PM by Chrysalis »

RealAleMadrid

• Reg Member
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2021, 12:15:49 PM »

An 80/20 service that was syncing at 74Mbps is now at 27Mbps and the GEA test thinks that is OK. I would disagree with that test result, the downstream speed is ridiculously low.

meritez

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2021, 12:59:48 PM »

An 80/20 service that was syncing at 74Mbps is now at 27Mbps and the GEA test thinks that is OK. I would disagree with that test result, the downstream speed is ridiculously low.

I agree, my minimum threshold sync is 58Mbps before I can start shouting for an OR engineer.

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2021, 01:18:53 PM »

Well apparently there was a big power cut in another part of my city around the same time the line problem started, seems a bit of a coincidence?

AAISP have raised the fault now.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2021, 11:12:03 PM »

The downstream to suddenly be lower than what the upstream estimate was before but the system thinks thats okay?   :lol:
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2021, 12:55:28 AM »

I have plugged back in the zyxel now and front plate back on to be left alone until Openreach turn up whenever that may be.  So stats will be visible to people again.

I also noticed is barely any water now extremely low pressure, I kind of think something has broke somewhere with a utility company and there is some chain reactions going on.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2021, 11:00:44 AM »

I have plugged back in the zyxel now and front plate back on to be left alone until Openreach turn up whenever that may be.  So stats will be visible to people again.

Had another look at your hlog, there definitely is something going on there.  I can see a slight but distinct repetitive wave in the plotted line. Your SNR is also reflecting this although harder to spot.  A JDSU would probably pick it up and do the relevant calculations as there is a formula used based on the number of tones between dips as to whether its something serious or not.

I am quite surprised that your GEA test passed because the sync is so low.  I was also a wee bit surprised that your GEA test didn't show any mention of Bridge Tap results - bythat I mean there wasnt any mention of it all... as the ones I've seen run by Plusnet usually say something like

Code: [Select]
Bridge Tap Not Detected
Radio Frequency Ingress Not Detected
Repetitive Impulse Noise Not Detected
Cross Talk Not Detected
Profile Name 40M-80M Downstream, Error Protection Off - 10M-20M Upstream, Error Protection Off

It may however perhaps just be the way AAISP do the formatting and chose not to display some of the other tests run in their CP  such as

Code: [Select]
Upstream Rate Assessment Very Good
Downstream Rate Assessment Very Good
Interference Pattern Not Detected
Service Impact No Impact Observed
Home Wiring Problem Not Detected

Anyhow the main thing is that an engineer visit has been arranged.   I've no doubt he should be able to sort it for you.  Good luck :)

-----

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2021, 11:26:04 AM »

Yeah the aaisp GEA data is not showing all data I reckon, I also remember the results from PlusNet e.g. show your DLM profile, whilst the one provided by AAISP doesnt show it.

Thanks for your comments, and everyone else also.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7