Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: New FTTC Connection - Stats Check  (Read 1053 times)

sotonsam

• Reg Member
New FTTC Connection - Stats Check
« on: March 09, 2022, 10:23:26 PM »

Hi All,

I'm back on FTTC as a 'secondary' connection after a few years away. After getting my line fixed by BT after a botched initial install and then finding a working Zyxel to use, I've managed to get it up and running and have some stats to dig over.

I had some issues with the previous ZyXEl's I had (they just wouldn't Sync on my line) and using those seemed to cause my line to enter Interleaving and it's never 'left it' from what I can tell. I'd appreciate a bit of feedback on my stats to see if there are any issues at play which will cause Interleaving (i.e my ES) or if I shouldn't be interleaved at all and I should expect it to drop off in the coming weeks? (I've been on high latency for about 2 weeks now)

My stats are here - http://home-services.ddns.net:55555/index.htm

My sync is fine, I'm more than happy with that for my attenuation. Obviously the interleaving has forced my latency to the 30ms mark as opposed to the 10ms it was at a few weeks ago.

*Edit* - Looks to have re-synced last night, I think I'm on past path again now as my latency has increased. My Sync isn't going to get higher than that either, but weirdly my real time throughput is about 11Mbps less than the actual sync speed on download. ES seem to have increased as well, not sure what peoples feelings are.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2022, 10:32:07 PM by sotonsam »
Vodafone FTTC 80/20. ECI Cab.

FTTP via Toob. 900/900.

j0hn

• Kitizen
Re: New FTTC Connection - Stats Check
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2022, 10:20:00 AM »

Last night the downstream was interleaved with INP 3, delay 8.
This morning the upstream is interleaved with INP 4, delay 7.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

francisuk1989

• Twitter
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2022, 06:11:05 PM »

Remember on FTTC you have a 10 days training period  ::)

From memory mine started out about 46Mbps > 56 and resync's was about every 3 days and then on the 9th day my pings drop from 20 odd to 7ms
« Last Edit: March 10, 2022, 06:14:49 PM by francisuk1989 »
Zen Unlimited Fibre 2 80/20 connected via Huawei 288 Cabinet
ZyXEL VMG8924-B10A Bridged to FRITZ!Box 7530 with OpenWrt
BT Mobile SIM Only (10GB) Virgin Mobile SIM Only (6GB) Dual SIM with Oppo A54 5G

sotonsam

• Reg Member
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2022, 08:14:22 PM »

Remember on FTTC you have a 10 days training period  ::)

From memory mine started out about 46Mbps > 56 and resync's was about every 3 days and then on the 9th day my pings drop from 20 odd to 7ms

I've had it since 14th, but sadly my install was botched so I was immediately screwed at 40 odd meg until BT fixed it on the 16th. That sorted me out and my connection settled down after the 16th, they possibly reset DLM at a guess and let it re-train?

I then decided to ditch the Vodafone router and put on a Zyxel, which wouldn't sync. I had another Zyxel, which also wouldn't sync. I reverted back to my Openreach Modem for a period of time but my sync had dropped and I was on interleaving up and down, so even thogh those modems didn't sync they were doing something that DLM didn't like.

I got a working Zyxel yesterday though and this has sync'd with a much better rate, but as I said above I can only get about 67ish Mb throughput even though the sync is 79. Latency is around 15ms now though.
Vodafone FTTC 80/20. ECI Cab.

FTTP via Toob. 900/900.

g3uiss

• Kitizen
  • You never too old to learn but soon I may be
    • Midas Solutions
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2022, 08:25:31 PM »

A DLM reset on a ECI puts interleave on by default. You need to wait and avoid any reconnections. Hopefully the interleave will go over the next few days.
Cerebus FTTP 500/70 Draytec 2927 VOXI 4G fallback.

crimliar

• Just arrived
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2022, 12:36:29 PM »

So, I'm curious...

With the uptake of FTTP in the area, I've gradually seen my FTTC connection increase in speed from 45Mbps in January to 60Mbps now.  An additional change that has happened though is the line now "allegedly" has an interleave of 16 on the download with an SNRm of 1.8dB (seems very low).  Despite using Asus Merlin Conmon the latency to Cloudflare's DNS remains unchanged at around 8.5ms. 

Lurking on these boards, I would have expected an interleave of 16 to substantially increase the latency.

g3uiss

• Kitizen
  • You never too old to learn but soon I may be
    • Midas Solutions
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2022, 03:12:09 PM »

That’s almost certainly because your on s Huwawei cab and have G.INP enabled. Hence the low SNRM. You have INP not delay
Cerebus FTTP 500/70 Draytec 2927 VOXI 4G fallback.

RealAleMadrid

• Reg Member
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2022, 03:24:02 PM »

@crimliar Have you had an area power cut recently? My line will sync at full 80Mbps at 1.8dB but only when the power comes back on. The HG612 Modem syncs at 3dB margin then other modems come online, increasing the crosstalk so the margin drops to 1.8dB. Works fine in this state with no errors for weeks or even months until the next power outage. ::)

crimliar

• Just arrived
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2022, 04:54:07 PM »

No power cuts here for a month or so at least.  Regards the sync speeds, I am between 700m and 800m from the cabinet - which used to be oversubscribed until people started taking up FTTP (there was a waiting list to get a phone here, which could take a year or two!).

anything