Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8

Author Topic: Windows 11 Live Event  (Read 13769 times)

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
Re: Windows 11 Live Event
« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2021, 10:49:35 PM »

I think my TPM setting is probably turned off in the bios.

I found a quick way to see if its on or what version by typing in the box tpm.msc and it'll show if its on or not.. if its on what version.
BT Full Fibre 500 - Smart Hub 2

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2021, 03:29:38 AM »

Interesting, my Ryzen 2500U laptop has TPM 2.0 support.

Problem is a lot of people run Win 10 on laptops that likely were before TPM was a thing.

Just checked on my ASUS X570-F Ryzen 5950X and enabling it in the BIOS allows it to be stored in AGESA.  Booting back into Windows and it shows as available.

I'd check my 9900k but I accidentally wiped the EFI partition when I installed Linux on it.  :-[
« Last Edit: June 25, 2021, 03:39:36 AM by Alex Atkin UK »
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP CF
« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2021, 09:22:29 AM »

So what did I miss, is it just the UI updates or some killer feature to lure people over?

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #18 on: June 25, 2021, 10:17:41 AM »

Probably not a lot, but does sound like they are trying to make it more secure but I have no idea of the implications of needing a TPM module, or its benefits or downsides.

Both my main PCs have TPM sockets, but from a quick check not all TPM modules are created equal, some sockets have different pin configurations, you'd think by now they would have learned to standardise things.
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 550/52  ;D

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #19 on: June 25, 2021, 10:45:49 AM »

I've not looked in my own bios yet. But I believe that the TPM mode on ASUS boards with intel cpu chips is called PTT.

I've been reading this article about TPM and how its mainly about drive encryption. As a home user I've never seen the point of drive encryption. If people want to do it fine. But it seems more of an option for hobby'ists when outside of a professional environment. So to now have this forced on everyone is very strange.

I think they are taking a big gamble on this requirement as there is no reason to have TPM switched on as a requirement other than for drive encryption, a feature probably a very high percentage don't use. On the flip side this is making the majority of computers in circulation now as being unable to meet that requirement, and even if some do meet the requirement its due to having some technical knowledge of turning the option on in the bios. So people will assume they can't get it.

What is very strange is that during the leaked version of Windows 11 people managed to bypass the check for TPM and the OS worked perfectly well. Let us hope that a big stink happens with TPM and they remove it as a requirement by the time it comes out.

Update:

I looked in to my bios and there is no TPM or PTT option.

For reference for others;

CPU: Intel Core i7 7700K
MB: ASUS MAXIMUS VIII GENE

There is no TPM header on the Mobo either.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2021, 11:25:58 AM by Bowdon »

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP CF
« Reply #20 on: June 25, 2021, 12:11:23 PM »

I cannot see TPM been effective against most forms of malware.  Unless Microsoft know something they not telling us.

adslmax

• Kitizen
« Reply #21 on: June 25, 2021, 12:17:52 PM »

Microsoft will not change their mind and removed TPM. If you don't like it - stick with W10 or change to Linux. I got the feeling that Microsoft will force everyones more controlled on people's pc or laptop just like Apple did.

I am finished with Microsoft. Time to move onto Linux Mint as it working fine for my need: photo editior, video encode, email, browser, video, music, photos, docs with openoffice etc.

As for gaming I can use W10 as offline only. As I know Linux isn't great for those who need gaming pc.

I have to agree there is no need for TPM and Microsoft forcing you to use TPM are very BAD MOVE! - They going to lose 80% customers soon and businesses will be very angry if their old pc cannot support Windows 11 because most older pc doesn't have TPM.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2021, 12:21:00 PM by adslmax »

adslmax

• Kitizen
« Reply #22 on: June 25, 2021, 12:22:45 PM »

I cannot see TPM been effective against most forms of malware.  Unless Microsoft know something they not telling us.

I don't trust Microsoft - no ones does! They are the one love data collection, adverts on your pc (part of free upgrade) and more bloatwares, malwares.

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #23 on: June 25, 2021, 12:23:55 PM »

AMD: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/design/minimum/supported/windows-11-supported-amd-processors
Intel: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/design/minimum/supported/windows-11-supported-intel-processors

This is a page of all the versions of windows and compatible cpu's;

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/design/minimum/windows-processor-requirements

My i7 7700K was going good until it hit Windows 11.

I think this is going to fall flat on Microsoft's faces. They are presenting a cliff edge date of 2025. If you haven't bought a new PC that is compatible with Windows 11 then all security support will be withdrawn from Windows 10 in 4 years.

adslmax

• Kitizen
« Reply #24 on: June 25, 2021, 12:42:48 PM »

My old pc i7 2700K sandybridge are still very strong and still working well for nearly 10 years old now. Still using it. As for Windows 11 - it NO CHANCE on Intel i7 2700K. So, **** off Microsoft for all I care.

[Edited to obscure some obvious bad language - roseway]

« Last Edit: June 25, 2021, 02:36:12 PM by roseway »

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #25 on: June 25, 2021, 01:13:36 PM »

Can't believe my i7-5930K or any from that range are not listed.
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 550/52  ;D

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #26 on: June 25, 2021, 05:24:56 PM »

What I'm curious about is does this mean Home users will finally get drive encryption?  On Win10, you have to upgrade to Pro (£120 if done via the MS app store) to get that feature.

I can see the merit in having this as standard, every other mainstream OS does.  I think it absolutely should be there as standard, as it means if your SSD/HDD breaks and you send it in for warranty, nobody can snoop on your data.  However making is mandatory does seem stupid, doubly so if they maintain the "you must upgrade to Pro to use it".

So what did I miss, is it just the UI updates or some killer feature to lure people over?

From what I can tell its mostly good for tablet users and gamers.  They are pushing all the new gaming focused optimisations into 11 it seems, which should go down like a house on fire. ;)

I'm actually looking forward to it, but only because I wont have to put up with it as my main OS.  Otherwise I'm not a fan of constantly changing the UI.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

parkdale

• Reg Member
« Reply #27 on: June 25, 2021, 08:09:22 PM »

Mine failed i5 7600 :(  on Asus H270 prime pro... even with PTT turned on.
Vodafone FTTC ECI cab 40/10Mb connection / Fritz!box7590

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #28 on: June 25, 2021, 09:04:10 PM »

I believe you have to enable secure boot too which is why I didnt actually run the test as I have secure boot off.  I only checked to see if TPM was found as I know secure boot can be enabled.

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #29 on: June 25, 2021, 09:42:40 PM »

It'll be interesting how many people will upgrade.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8

anything