Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Windows 11 - anyone getting it?  (Read 8323 times)

mofa2020

• Reg Member
Re: Windows 11 - anyone getting it?
« Reply #30 on: October 18, 2021, 12:36:31 AM »

3.5 Processor
Devices that run Windows 11 require a 1 GHz or faster processor that meets the following requirements.
• Supports 2 Processor Cores
• Compatible with the x64 or ARM64 instruction set
• Supports PF_ARM_V81_ATOMIC_INSTRUCTIONS_AVAILABLE instruction set (for ARM64 processor)
• Supports PAE, NX and SSE4.1
• Supports CMPXCHG16b, LAHF/SAHF, and PrefetchW
• Meets the supported processor generation list
Refer to the Silicon Support Policy for the supported processor list

*Page 12 https://download.microsoft.com/download/7/8/8/788bf5ab-0751-4928-a22c-dffdc23c27f2/Minimum%20Hardware%20Requirements%20for%20Windows%2011.pdf

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #31 on: October 18, 2021, 03:20:36 AM »

Thank you. When was cmpxchg16b introduced ? Thought everything x64 would have it, I must be daft though.

There is a history of requiring double-width cmpxchg instructions for locks in previous new versions, is there not? And a very good thing too.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2021, 01:02:22 AM by Weaver »

madhatter

« Reply #32 on: October 18, 2021, 08:38:24 PM »

None of my hardware meets the requirements but for a laugh I installed it in a couple of VM's and a 2007
laptop. The installer on the ISO baulks at the hardware but I just used the Windows deployment tool, DISM,
which makes no hardware checks or needs any registry hacks to run.
Installed cleanly and runs fine.
The Patch Tuesday updates arrived on time and installed without incident. On the 2007 laptop, I downloaded
the fixes and applied them manually, again without any problems. It seems reports that updates would be
blocked on unsupported hardware are, for the time being, wrong. The actual .msu update files are still using the Windows 10 naming convention and both msinfo and the command prompt still describe the system as Windows 10.
To me the whole thing looks more like Windows 10.1 than 11

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #33 on: October 19, 2021, 02:55:04 PM »

Technically its not going to be much different to 10 at launch, the security features have been touted as some kind of major overhaul, but the majority of them already exist in 10.

The primary reason for the 11 rebrand, I still think is to force a new UI on people, force new requirements on developers (now DCH drivers are needed), and to allow new defaults to be adopted (these seem to be primarily for security reasons).

End users will always be more submissive to changes like this if its a new OS version rather than just an update to an existing OS. 

I have played with 11 on a VM like many others I have that curiosity, but I will take the same approach to my production machines I have always taken before which is to only upgrade if I have a big reason to upgrade, I have no big reason to upgrade to 11 right now.

There is some changes I like, the settings applet changes for instance, but I feel the overall desktop UI is a pretty big regression, as if they trying to put tablet UI onto desktop users, because Microsoft still refuse to make different OS builds for different devices, instead they want one for all devices.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #34 on: October 19, 2021, 04:31:27 PM »

> Microsoft still refuse to make different OS builds for different devices, instead they want one for all devices.

Understandable - UI fragmentation is one of things that went towards killing Symbian, not forgetting the iPhone, and various other factors. So Microsoft is wise imo - I think they need an adaptive OS, or one with #ifdefs in it :-), so that at least they only have one codebase.

Confession: I worked for Symbian in 1998.

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #35 on: October 19, 2021, 05:15:50 PM »

I didnt know that killed Symbian, but I do agree, that one code base is ok if they could at least have some adaptiveness in the OS to allow people to change for their device type.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #36 on: October 20, 2021, 03:12:27 AM »

They had to try and deal with all kinds of display sizes, and they had their customers such as Nokia not using parts of the Symbian o/s, from what I’ve read and what my old boss has said publicly, such parts particularly being UI-related code, look-and-feel and so forth.

Interesting fact- my friend Jane completely rewrote the core of the o/s, so ‘Symbian o/s’ is not one o/s but two; made it hard real-time capable, I think, iirc. I haven’t quizzed her about it though. That was years after I had left. She wrote a book about the new v2 o/s, which in its guts bore almost no relation to the old I suspect. I’ve forgotten what the proper code name for the new o/s was.

There’s a book about about the crash downfall of Nokia which is extremely interesting reading, need to find the reference; doesn’t talk about Symbian though. In the beginning, Symbian was owned by a consortium: Psion, Ericsson, Nokia, poss Motorola [?] (I forget) and maybe another shareholder whom I can’t remember. Later on, Nokia bought up a lot of the shares. This was all many years after I had left. I think I worked for them for less than a month, then left London and went to Skye. Before then, the division I worked for was Psion Software.
Pages: 1 2 [3]

anything