Announcements > News Articles

Openreach Adds 551 UK Locations to FTTP Broadband Rollout

<< < (10/10)

Chrysalis:
Yeah they cant be everywhere, I think we all know deep down, there is political intervention on the openreach rollout, A fully commercial rollout wouldnt be going to villages with a few thousand people, there is no business case.

The UK thanks to the intervention probably has one of the best rural high speed internet coverage in the world.

This intervention ultimately means they wont rollout to as many commercial areas as quickly.  So they are compromised.

GigabitEthernet:
It's odd Frensham is on there as I thought Frensham's head-end was Farnham.

highpriest:

--- Quote from: j0hn on June 26, 2021, 11:43:59 AM ---They can't cover everywhere at the same time so someone is going to have to wait whatever happens.
--- End quote ---

I get that. But in some cities, there are 4 different providers rolling out fibre simultaneously. It's stuff like this that doesn't make sense (to me, a novice). I'm no expert at any of this stuff, all I'm trying to do is make sense of this rollout programme based on published news. I wish people would take a moment to appreciate that before having a go.

--- Quote ---As already mentioned the list of areas provided so far isn't everywhere that will be done by 2025.
--- End quote ---

True.

--- Quote ---You seem to be mixing 2 completely different things there.
The government's 85% gigabit target is not the OpenReach FTTP rollout.

That 85% target includes Virgin Media. That's 50% of the country effectively already ticked.
By the time you add OpenReach FTTP and what CityFibre will have done then that target isn't as ambitious as it sounds.
--- End quote ---

But VM's top product (on coax) can only hit 630 Mbps. How can that be called 'gigabit capable'? Or is that taking into account the upgrade to DOCSIS 3.1? Or their own Gig1 rollout programme?

--- Quote ---80% will be reached with commercial rollouts alone, without any government funding or intervention.
The government's target is to help with the other 5%, leaving 15% with no gigabit coverage.

Boris's target was originally 100% full fibre. Then it was watered down to 100% gigabit capable (to include Virgin).
Then it was watered down to 80%, then up to 85%
--- End quote ---

Interesting, thanks.

j0hn:

--- Quote from: highpriest on June 28, 2021, 09:28:37 AM ---But VM's top product (on coax) can only hit 630 Mbps. How can that be called 'gigabit capable'? Or is that taking into account the upgrade to DOCSIS 3.1? Or their own Gig1 rollout programme?

Interesting, thanks.

--- End quote ---

Their top package is 1 gig. It's actually over 1 gig as Virgin over provision at 1104Mb/s.

https://www.virginmedia.com/shop/broadband/gig1-gigabit-broadband

It's available where they have completed the DOCSIS 3.1 upgrades.
That covers over 7 million homes so far and is available in London, Northern Ireland, Southampton, Manchester, Reading, Birmingham, Coventry, Edinburgh, Liverpool, Leeds, Bradford and Glasgow.

The DOCSIS 3.1 upgrades are meant to be complete by the end of 2021, making the Gig1 package available to all Virgin customers.

Coax or FTTP (RFOG) makes zero difference.
You can very much order over 1gig on coax today in areas that have been upgraded already.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version