Announcements > News Articles

Openreach Adds 551 UK Locations to FTTP Broadband Rollout

<< < (9/10) > >>

Bowdon:
Though I'm puzzled as to the order of the FTTP rollout, I think it should be added that the rate that FTTP becomes available to premises is also increasing.

Alex Atkin UK:
The problem is we can't see the economics of it all.  What might seem a no-brainer could involve a lot more red tape with closing roads, disrupting pavements, wayleaves, blocked ducts, etc.

Also I've seen a few jobs show up on one.network in my notification e-mail, only for the links to say "the item was deleted".  Which shows just how in flux everything is.

GigabitEthernet:
There are some bizarre decisions.

Alton yet no Farnham? No Winchester? No Farnborough?

Black Sheep:

--- Quote from: Alex Atkin UK on June 26, 2021, 12:24:31 AM ---The problem is we can't see the economics of it all.  What might seem a no-brainer could involve a lot more red tape with closing roads, disrupting pavements, wayleaves, blocked ducts, etc.

Also I've seen a few jobs show up on one.network in my notification e-mail, only for the links to say "the item was deleted".  Which shows just how in flux everything is.

--- End quote ---

Here speaks wisdom.

The only 'bizarre decisions', are actually down to individuals own decision making - based upon how they think FTTP should be rolled out.

j0hn:
Why is it bizarre?
If they did all the large populated areas 1st then everyone in rural areas would complain.
So they added 227 rural/semi-rural areas.
Then people complain why are these rural areas being done before x & y urban areas.
You can't please everyone.

They can't cover everywhere at the same time so someone is going to have to wait whatever happens.

As already mentioned the list of areas provided so far isn't everywhere that will be done by 2025.

--- Quote from: highpriest on June 25, 2021, 03:10:15 PM ---Indeed. We live in hope.
I understand to an extent, hence why better transparency around the decision making would help a great deal. The government's plan/target is to deliver gigabit capable broadband to 85% of premises by 2025. The remaining 15% are, the way I understood it, hard to reach areas making it economically challenging. It now looks like that date has already slipped and vast areas are not even included in the plan for 2026!

--- End quote ---

You seem to be mixing 2 completely different things there.
The government's 85% gigabit target is not the OpenReach FTTP rollout.

That 85% target includes Virgin Media. That's 50% of the country effectively already ticked.
By the time you add OpenReach FTTP and what CityFibre will have done then that target isn't as ambitious as it sounds.

80% will be reached with commercial rollouts alone, without any government funding or intervention.
The government's target is to help with the other 5%, leaving 15% with no gigabit coverage.

Boris's target was originally 100% full fibre. Then it was watered down to 100% gigabit capable (to include Virgin).
Then it was watered down to 80%, then up to 85%

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version