Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Openreach Adds 551 UK Locations to FTTP Broadband Rollout  (Read 5921 times)

niemand

• Kitizen
Re: Openreach Adds 551 UK Locations to FTTP Broadband Rollout
« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2021, 05:51:00 PM »

How is countries like Japan, America can and have delivered gigabit place to the household and yet Openreach cant.

As a telecomms guy with 30 years experience I'm sure you'll appreciate that there is no reason for Openreach to prioritise a random Essex village in their deployment.

They'll get to it when they get to it. Presumably via other nearby villages.

There are a bunch of exchanges in cities with no plans right now. What in your 30 years experience entitles Hockley to FTTP while exchanges in Darlington, Telford, Wakefield and other large towns and cities are not announced?

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2021, 05:53:52 PM »

Utterly ludicrous  - Still nothing for my area , all the noise , threats,  screaming, shouting and blackmail (pre Openreach) BT used to prevent Telewest and others from laying their own infrastructure and yet they do and did nothing. How is countries like Japan, America can and have delivered gigabit place to the household and yet Openreach cant.

You are being optimistic there.  I have a friend in Texas and his parents have only just gotten FTTC at 13Mbit.  They also claim "unlimited" but in the small print it says they have a data cap and charge $10/50GB for going over it - while not mentioning what that cap even is.

Also if you followed Louis Rossman you'd have seen how bang in the middle of New York is a lottery which service you can get, the abysmal useless one he couldn't even livestream from, or the superfast fibre.

Japan is even crazier, have you seen how small their apartments are?  THAT'S why its so easy for them, their population density is insane but its like living in a cardboard box.

The grass may appear greener on the other side of the fence, but only because someone painted it and it hasn't rained yet.  ::)
« Last Edit: June 24, 2021, 05:56:49 PM by Alex Atkin UK »
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

niemand

• Kitizen
« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2021, 06:10:08 PM »

The really depressing thing about every story like this is the piling in from people who think nothing is happening if they, personally, aren't benefiting, and that they should somehow have priority.

Even funnier when you've people who are in villages and have Virgin Media but think it absurd they aren't on the immediate list. Not in a major urban conurbation, have access to ultrafast so way better off than people stuck on ADSL or FTTC, but they simply must be a priority over both.

Egocentrism.

g3uiss

• Kitizen
  • You never too old to learn but soon I may be
    • Midas Solutions
« Reply #18 on: June 24, 2021, 06:25:53 PM »

I think with the exception of the few like Carl and Alex, no one has any idea of the size of the task to enable even a small town. I couldn’t even think how it’s done logistically, never mind on a national basis. I think the speed of roll out is really impressive, it’s not just the money, but the Tecnical experience required.

Cerebus FTTP 500/70 Draytec 2927 VOXI 4G fallback.

Jon21

• Reg Member
« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2021, 06:59:06 PM »

The area I'm in (Newport, Shropshire) has been included, by April 2025. Be nice to have a bit of competition for Virgin, the network was a bit ropey the last time I was with them. Might of improved in the last 3 years.

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #20 on: June 24, 2021, 07:03:51 PM »

I think with the exception of the few like Carl and Alex, no one has any idea of the size of the task to enable even a small town. I couldn’t even think how it’s done logistically, never mind on a national basis. I think the speed of roll out is really impressive, it’s not just the money, but the Tecnical experience required.

I might have a small idea myself ...  ;)  ;D

We get regular communications on how our FTTP roll out is going ... and also the competitions figures as well.

What I like about some of these snippets of info is, they tend to apply layman's terms to them by giving comparisons to something tangible. For example - they may say 'we've lain 100,000km of fibre cable which is a quarter of the way to the Moon' - stuff like that (pedants - this is MY example, not OR's).

Well, there was something a month or so back explaining that this was one of the largest engineering projects (or something along those line), the UK has seen regarding telecoms. I wish I could remember exactly what it was !!  :-[

Point being - Carl has hit the nail squarely on the head with his comments. The naivety of some people is %$£$$%&$ astounding !!

g3uiss

• Kitizen
    • Midas Solutions
« Reply #21 on: June 24, 2021, 07:09:06 PM »

Sorry @bs of course  :-\

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #22 on: June 24, 2021, 07:09:49 PM »

Sorry @bs of course  :-\

Ha ha - not answering any of your PM's ever again !!  :P

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #23 on: June 24, 2021, 07:50:35 PM »

Agreed, although I think you under estimated  those who do appreciate the mammoth task.  Due to current circumstance, I may not be on the ball with current figures... but some of us here are original broadband campaigners who got heavily involved with the roll out of adsl so do have an inkling of how large a project this is.  I'm not alone and it may be because we aren't shouting the loudest.

--

What is also not often mentioned is that when quoting speeds achieved in the East Asian countries, they are usually only in urban areas, move away from the cities, then things are way worse that in the UK.  So whilst they may be able to claim what look like blistering speeds, it may not be that nationally.   The stats all depended and varied on who was measuring (ie speedtesters), what they were showing the results as (top/median), and how many speed tests from that country (more results=better accuracy) and if you take into account how accessible broadband was across that particular country.

I've seen various figures touted around such as UK average speed now averaging at something around 140Mbps mostly in part because they were from VM users. I'm sure I saw something this year which averaged us at around 20Mbps... but for now I'll stick with the OFCOM 71Mbps from last Nov.   There was even one report where we ranked 6th possibly because more homes with broadband connectivity.   

Whatever, we do seem to be rising steadily up the ranks over the past year..  and hopefully this will continue.   I am fairly  impressed at the number of homes Openreach and the ALTnets are managing to pass each month.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

g3uiss

• Kitizen
    • Midas Solutions
« Reply #24 on: June 24, 2021, 08:02:11 PM »

@kitz. I apologise for being so specific, but recently the sensible comments came from those I mentioned of course many others will appreciate the mammoth task. I was just wanting to support the view that OR are not rubbish but are very effective in rolling this out.

Apologies again to any I might of offended.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #25 on: June 24, 2021, 08:16:50 PM »

nps...  I knew what you meant and I was laughing when I made my reply :D
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

skyeci

• Kitizen
    • Line stats
« Reply #26 on: June 24, 2021, 08:23:59 PM »

Something still puzzles me so any thoughts appreciated...

Been longing for fttp as stuck on eci.. anyway my query is as follows.
I live in an urban area and see no mention of my exchange being upgraded in any of the published fttp rollout guides. The openreach map shows nothing yet when I input my postcode into the availability checker I get the message we are starting to build ultrafast broadband in your area. Register to keep informed of progress which I did.

So why can't I find my exchange in the lists?
Be overjoyed if it happens but just seems a bit odd..

Thanks

g3uiss

• Kitizen
    • Midas Solutions
« Reply #27 on: June 24, 2021, 08:32:14 PM »

I got that response and about 6 months later work started. No idea when it will be finished although I’ve been told this year by helpful kitzens

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #28 on: June 24, 2021, 08:53:22 PM »

Not all rollouts are shown on that map. -   That site doesnt show some of the more rural projects such as BDUK, infills and retro builds. 

My own town didn't appear on that particular list, but its now mostly been done and dusted.  We are urban, but we were tied in together with a couple of rural towns on the other side of the river, which is still a work in progress. 
g3uiss is quite near to me... and even nearer to the aforementioned rural exchanges.  No idea if his (urban) town has also benefited from the same development too.   To some, it may seem odd that work is being done on our exchanges and before that of a large and quite prominent town nearby.
-----

skyeci

• Kitizen
    • Line stats
« Reply #29 on: June 24, 2021, 10:06:32 PM »

Thanks. I can understand the map not being accurate but the published roll out lists not listing it just seems odd...
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

anything