Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Is there any way to change the DNS in a Smart Hub 6A?  (Read 1562 times)

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
Is there any way to change the DNS in a Smart Hub 6A?
« on: June 21, 2021, 02:56:55 PM »

I've been messing around with the HTTPS over DNS setting in Firefox. If I set my dns server settings on windows to use the ones from my ISP (BT) then I get confirmation that the DNS server is secure.

However, if I change the DNS in windows to a manual one, even if using Cloudflares own DNS server (I'm using the Cloudflare HTTPS over DNS service) it says this;

You may not be using secure DNS.

We weren’t able to detect whether you were using a DNS resolver over secure transport. Contact your DNS provider or try using 1.1.1.1 for fast & secure DNS.

I remember messing with DNS settings years ago and the conclusion I came to is that even if I changed the DNS settings on the computer, if using the BT hub, it still injects something from the router in to the DNS requests i.e. it knows I'm not using the default BT DNS server.

It still is a noticable difference even with that happening to change DNS servers. The only way I found to get around this situation was to use a non-BT router, either the old Openreach modem + a bought router or a modem/router combo.

I suspect this would still be the case if I used the raspberry pi after the router and before my computer, as it would still be going through the BT router.

Is there any workable way to have the raspberry pi in place before the router, so it would be a pass through for traffic but I could setup the DNS part myself, or would I still be in the same situation?

Is the BT Hub locked to a set DNS server or is it setup to accept whatever DNS server is in the incoming traffic?
BT Full Fibre 500 - Smart Hub 2

j0hn

• Kitizen
Re: Is there any way to change the DNS in a Smart Hub 6A?
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2021, 03:00:56 PM »

The BT Smart Hub 2 is locked to BT's DNS servers.

The only way around it is to set the DNS server on the individual client.
It works if setting it on the individual client.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2021, 03:07:22 PM »

I'm fairly sure there is no way the router can circumvent DNS over HTTPs/TLS set on the client, that's kinda the point.  So something else must be going on.

I've had so many issues with Windows ignoring manual network settings so it could simply be that, especially if you're trying to use DHCP for IP and override the DNS manually.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2021, 02:39:16 PM by Alex Atkin UK »
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

meritez

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2021, 04:48:37 PM »

What are you using as the DHCP server on your local network?

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2021, 12:33:12 AM »

What are you using as the DHCP server on your local network?

I'm using the DHCP on the router.
BT Full Fibre 500 - Smart Hub 2