Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Amazon Sidewalk Wi-Fi Sharing Experiment (in the USA)  (Read 2212 times)

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: Amazon Sidewalk Wi-Fi Sharing Experiment (in the USA)
« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2021, 09:17:48 AM »

But more important, Alexa lets you change the wake word to "computer" for the full Star Trek effect. :p

Although in hindsight, that does get a LOT of false positives (probably more than it detects correctly) compared to leaving it as Alexa, but its SO worth it.  Still infinitely better than "Ok Google" which I HATED.

I've left mine as default.  Most of the false commands seem to come from being picked up on TV or YouTube.  I try to remember to call it by the "A word" if I'm talking about it to someone else. rather than talking to it but I do sometimes forget and end up yelling stop.    I'd like if there was a tad more flexibility rather than just the 4 wake word options, but as you say it is so much better than 'OK Google' that I also dislike having to use.   On reflection changing it to "Echo" would probably be better for me and pick up the least false positives, but I'm way too used to using "Alexa" now. :D  It's surprising how soon the voice integrated commands become part of your every day life and how much you do miss it when its not available for some reason.   

Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
Re: Amazon Sidewalk Wi-Fi Sharing Experiment (in the USA)
« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2021, 06:21:42 PM »

Considering my name, Alexa is not a good choice, I'm sure my mum would be false triggering it all the time talking to me. ;)

Besides the nerd in me wont let me change it.  I still get a kick out of yelling "Computer, Lights" and the even more amusing "Computer, Activate Shield" to turn on my ShieldTV.

If they ever let you change the voice and they release the Majel Roddenberry TTS pack (they apparently recorded this before her death in case they did want to continue using her voice) I will be in nerd heaven.

I mean you've seen my NAS monitoring screen. ;) https://csdprojects.co.uk/forums/LCARS.png
« Last Edit: June 24, 2021, 06:31:00 PM by Alex Atkin UK »
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors
Pages: 1 [2]

anything