Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Amazon Sidewalk Wi-Fi Sharing Experiment (in the USA)  (Read 2201 times)

d2d4j

• Kitizen
Amazon Sidewalk Wi-Fi Sharing Experiment (in the USA)
« on: June 20, 2021, 09:33:29 AM »

[Moderator note: This topic has been created by splitting off from the Amazon Prime Day 21st and 22nd June 2021 topic.]

Hi

[Thinking about] Amazon and a lot of users will have amazon devices, I read this a while ago.

It is not in UK at moment but may or may not be activated in UK

Many thanks

John

https://www.speedguide.net/news/amazon-sidewalk-wi-fi-sharing-experiment-goes-live-7542

https://www.slashgear.com/amazon-sidewalk-wi-fi-sharing-experiment-goes-live-next-month-30675176/
« Last Edit: June 20, 2021, 10:11:46 PM by burakkucat »

broadstairs

• Kitizen
Re: Amazon Sidewalk Wi-Fi Sharing Experiment (in the USA)
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2021, 09:41:00 AM »

I don't have an Amazon devices but if I did I'd be scrambling to disable this function. My view is that if this is to be rolled out it MUST be opt in and not opt out (if you know how)!

Stuart
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2021, 09:57:43 AM »

It is not in UK at moment but may or may not be activated in UK

Really bad that its enabled by default   >:(
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

g3uiss

• Kitizen
  • You never too old to learn but soon I may be
    • Midas Solutions
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2021, 10:40:45 AM »

I don't have an Amazon devices but if I did I'd be scrambling to disable this function. My view is that if this is to be rolled out it MUST be opt in and not opt out (if you know how)!

Stuart

Amazon’s normal practice is to make opt in very easy but opt out really difficult. Prime is the best example.
Cerebus FTTP 500/70 Draytec 2927 VOXI 4G fallback.

renluop

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2021, 12:58:00 PM »

I know this is OT, but I cancelled an order recently, yet somehow a Market Place item was still placed by Amazon. Later a new order including above was made, so I've 2 of item, of which 1 is really unsolicited. Already sorting it out is becoming a nightmare.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2021, 05:03:02 PM »

As regular members will know, I do not possess any Amazon (or other so called "smart") devices.

If I did possess such devices, having read the articles flagged by d2d4j, I would be placing them all on a hard surface and then caressing each & every one with a 14 lb hammer.  >:(
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2021, 06:04:55 PM »

As regular members will know, I do not possess any Amazon (or other so called "smart") devices.

If I did possess such devices, having read the articles flagged by d2d4j, I would be placing them all on a hard surface and then caressing each & every one with a 14 lb hammer.  >:(

I do have one and honestly I think that's a bit paranoid.  If you read what they are actually doing in principle its not that bad, its just doing it without properly asking permission from the users that is dodgy.  More so in the US where data caps are still normal.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2021, 06:27:08 PM »

BC, instead of being destructive, just send them my way (not that you have any), saving the environment and all that  ;)

I agree with Alex, the idea seems a good idea, and as long as it is safe, then the small amount (500MB a month) of data used doesn't worry me in the slightest.

Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 550/52  ;D

meritez

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2021, 06:34:41 PM »

« Last Edit: June 20, 2021, 10:06:13 PM by burakkucat »

d2d4j

• Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2021, 06:36:08 PM »

Hi

We have a few echos and it does not bother me.

However, please remember BT home hubs etc.. are auto enabled for BT Wifi unless turned off and do not have user permission first.

The issue would be the sharing aspects between amazon devices, whereas BT Wifi is not connected to all neighbours, amazon would be.

This has the potential to lead a huge DDOS using IoT devices easily if the protocol were to be broken into or the device hacked fully.

Some may say this may not happen, but when you realise all the major players have been hacked, even github etc... it shows nothing is 100% secure.  Coupled to that, when they stopped SSLv3, the weakness was known for over 15 years and yet continued to be in use during those 15 years.

Finally, remember the microsoft virus, which ripped through all microsoft operating systems due to a network protocol no one realised was open and could still be used... same potential could exist at some point in IoT devices and then once used by bad people, how many devices on how many streets in how many cities/towns could be used by a single person to attack given amazon are trialling IoT to IoT devices, and at those quantities of IoT devices, you do not much bandwidth per IoT device to be effective

It is not reality yet, and may never be so no tin hats needed but if it were to happen...

Many thanks

John

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2021, 08:40:56 PM »

However, please remember BT home hubs etc.. are auto enabled for BT Wifi unless turned off and do not have user permission first.

I'd imagine that its part of the contract when you sign up so technically you DO give permission.

Unless Amazon were planning this long ago, its unlikely such permission is given in their contract.  But then again, who reads contracts in detail?
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

d2d4j

• Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2021, 08:44:57 PM »

Hi

Yes, permissions would have been granted in order to activate product I guess, but probably in very small writing and hidden away.  Same as most, including amazon and I do not know anyone who reads in full all the terms and conditions etc...

Many thanks

John

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2021, 11:58:47 PM »

If I did possess such devices, having read the articles flagged by d2d4j, I would be placing them all on a hard surface and then caressing each & every one with a 14 lb hammer.

I have several of them dotted around my homw and find them invaluable.   
I honestly do not know how I'd manage without and they immensely help retain independency.   My shopping, voice control my heating from anywhere, turn on/off lights/sockets using voice from anywhere. Reminders and constantly use it as a reference source by asking it questions.  Using my Show I can see who is at the door or any of the camera's if movement is detected.   Thats on top of the usual functions such as alarms, music, weather, news,   A simple 'goodnight alexa' ensures all lights are switched off.  It's also hooked up to my mobile so if I fall I can ask it to ring for help.  I can also voice call anyone who is in my contacts just like an extended hands free.

I do have concerns about the privacy aspect, but google probably knows more.   However this Sidewalk and the way they've gone about it I do not like, no matter how secure it is supposed to be.   

Also as previously mentioned Im not quite sure how this would work with GDPR where data is supposed to be opt-in not opt-out.   Up until now I've balanced privacy up against how useful they are and how much I rely on them.  Sharing my network is a No.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2021, 02:06:43 AM »

But more important, Alexa lets you change the wake word to "computer" for the full Star Trek effect. :p

Although in hindsight, that does get a LOT of false positives (probably more than it detects correctly) compared to leaving it as Alexa, but its SO worth it.  Still infinitely better than "Ok Google" which I HATED.

But I've found "Computer, set a timer for x minutes" so valuable as doing it physically I'd always sit down and forget, or do it on the Microwave and not hear it go off.  As well as turning lights on and off from in bed.  Also connected up with my Logitech Hub so it makes turning everything on a breeze, compared to grabbing for the remote, pulling a muscle, dropping it, etc.

Honestly, I don't trust these companies with "home security" products to begin with.  So it kinda makes sense that the sorts of people who do, probably shouldn't have a problem with this, or maybe it wasn't a bright idea to trust them to begin with.

d2d4j

• Kitizen
« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2021, 09:16:41 AM »

Hi

I would think amazon do have GDPR covered but as with anything, it could be a grey area depending upon your view of data controller or data processor, and yes I am aware of a supposed GDPR data breach and an eye watering fine currently going through but please remember google had similar issues, so did apple and microsoft etc...

https://forums.developer.amazon.com/questions/170566/is-alexa-gdpr-compliant.html

I think there are bigger concerns then GDPR, as an example for anyone interested.

extract

Real-time bidding refers to the buying and selling of online ad impressions through auctions conducted in the time it takes a webpage to load. While a page loads, real-time bidding helps facilitate the sharing of various details gleaned from the device the web page is loading on, including its location, along with information about previously visited websites.

"Every time we load a page on a commercial website or use an app, the website or app tells tens or hundreds of companies all about us, so that their clients can decide whether to bid on the opportunity to show you an ad," Dr. Ryan told the BBC. "These bid requests include inferences of your sexual orientation, religion, what you're reading, watching, and listening to, your location," says Dr. Ryan.

IAB Tech Lab is a consortium comprising of some of the biggest tech firms, like Google, Facebook, Amazon, etc., and it's responsible for providing the technical standards based on which the online digital ad space operates

https://www.speedguide.net/news/digital-ad-industry-accused-of-worlds-largest-data-7556

Many thanks

John
Pages: [1] 2