Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Reporting future DSL faults  (Read 533 times)

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
Reporting future DSL faults
« on: June 17, 2021, 06:01:11 PM »

I am currently not reporting DSL faults as it may be annoying to some users. Should I report future faults and tell you the story, or not?

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
Re: Reporting future DSL faults
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2021, 06:47:21 PM »

As you know, I am always interested in such events . . . as your environment is rather unique, when compared with that of the rest of us.

There is no compulsion that every member must read every post!  :D

As far as I am aware, there are only three members who make a point of reading absolutely everything that is posted. (And there is no prize for the first person to list the three names.)

Let me take a guess . . . An atmospheric electrical discharge has caused damage to one or more xDSL lines providing connectivity into the "Weaving Shed"?  :-\
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2021, 10:47:21 PM »

No lightning up here, my friend. I’ve heard rumblings from England.

One more line is currently down: line 4 is turned off because it dropped to 400 k downstream; same odd-shaped SNRM vs tones curve fault. And since line 3 was ceased we are left with only two lines that are up: 1, 2.

Have asked AA about ordering additional lines, but some staff members are on holiday this week, so waiting until next week.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2021, 11:09:34 PM »

No lightning up here, my friend. I’ve heard rumblings from England.

I heard a few distant rumbles around 0100 hours this morning (Thursday, June 17th) that were in the north east of Norfolk and also, probably, off shore.

One more line is currently down: line 4 is turned off because it dropped to 400 k downstream; same odd-shaped SNRM vs tones curve fault.

That fault is very perplexing. I cannot think of any cause which would give rise to the plot so observed.

Crazy idea time -- I would be tempted to obtain an ex-GPO magneto and attach it to a standard BS6312 BT431A plug. Once a week I would disconnect each modem in turn and plug in the magneto. A vigorous cranking of the handle would apply a burst of AC to the line and all its crimped joints. That might improve matters!  :angel:
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2021, 11:27:56 PM »

That crazy idea is very clever indeed!

meritez

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2021, 11:40:39 PM »

Happy to hear about faults, if you want to hear about the customer who was paying for two lines with their previous provider, and we took it over last week and one of the lines has no master socket or line box in the premises... :-\

Thankfully we could early life fault that, but sometimes I worry.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2021, 01:19:52 AM »

A week ago, on Wednesday, an OR engineer came to the house. I had told AA that as before the fault would get magically fixed by the engineer, despite him not doing anything other than testing the line. And indeed it was so, line fixed, perfect, but the fix only lasted from Wednesday to Saturday, a record short duration; usually a magical fix holds for many weeks or months. I clearly could not ask AA to ‘repair’ it again so Plan B was initiated, that is, getting new lines instead, hopefully.