Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Change of AA tariff, and new lines  (Read 1290 times)

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
Change of AA tariff, and new lines
« on: June 16, 2021, 03:29:56 PM »

After more than ten years of being on the ‘units’ tariff with Andrews and Arnold, I have changed to the modern SoHo::1 tariff today. This gives me a quota of 300GB per line, so 900GB in total. That’s massively more than I can ever use. It’s slightly more expensive than the old tariff, but then we can go crazy in the mon-fri daytime without racking up a large bill.

I can’t seem to find the option in the web UI to control what happens when your quota becomes exhausted; whether it shuts off the lines, slows down the rate or performs an auto-top-up. It’s supposed to be somewhere in clueless.aa.net.uk, but I just can not see it.

I’m also talking to AA currently about the possibility of getting some additional copper pairs and then killing off the bad ones that I have currently. I’ve been warned that there’s some BT or Openreach nonsense supposedly concerning COVID-19 and inferior service regarding installations.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
Re: Change of AA tariff, and new lines
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2021, 05:49:55 PM »

After more than ten years of being on the ‘units’ tariff with Andrews and Arnold, I have changed to the modern SoHo::1 tariff today. This gives me a quota of 300GB per line, so 900GB in total. That’s massively more than I can ever use.

That is, I'm sure, a sensible decision.

I can’t seem to find the option in the web UI to control what happens when your quota becomes exhausted; whether it shuts off the lines, slows down the rate or performs an auto-top-up. It’s supposed to be somewhere in clueless.aa.net.uk, but I just can not see it.

I wouldn't be surprised if an e-mail message (or SMS) is auto-sent before that point is reached. I have a vague memory that there is a roll-over to the next month when all of the current month's allowance is not consumed.

It seems that control.aa.net.uk has taken the place of "clueless". Perhaps, at long last, A&A are trying to shed their frivolous persona?  :-\
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

jelv

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2021, 11:49:21 PM »

Just looked under the details for my phone number in my old account and it says against Home::1Quota that it goes slow.
Broadband and Line rental: Zen Unlimited Fibre 2, Mobile: Vodaphone
Router: Fritz!Box 7530

meritez

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2021, 09:56:57 AM »

Just looked under the details for my phone number in my old account and it says against Home::1Quota that it goes slow.

Weaver will not notice that then  :lol:

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2021, 05:22:21 PM »

Weaver will not notice that then  :lol:

Depends, is it a percentage?  :D  He could end up slower than dialup!
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2021, 05:57:26 PM »

There’s a choice of what you want to happens when you hit your quota, but I can’t find where to set it; have emailed AA to ask where it is. Sales offered to set it for me to whatever I want. The choices are to block the service, go slow, or auto-top-up. The quota is massively more than I have ever used in any month of the last year, way more than double. Higher quotas are also available, I believe, and unlimited service is available too with the leased line services. They email you at a user-chosen point before you get near to your quota. And I think the ‘go slow’ rate is possibly faster than I currently enjoy, as 6 Mbps is mentioned somewhere, but I don’t know if that’s total or per line.

See https://support.aa.net.uk/Home::1

The server is still also called clueless.aa.net.uk but the name control.aa.net.uk was added several years ago as the original humorous "-less" name was judged to be confusing for some users. All AA server as called somethingless.

gt94sss2

• Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2021, 06:10:35 PM »

I’m also talking to AA currently about the possibility of getting some additional copper pairs and then killing off the bad ones that I have currently.

Do you know if there are spare copper pairs from your pole, all the way back to the exchange? If not, you may find OR present you with a large bill before agreeing to proceed with any orders.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2021, 06:19:06 PM »

There is certainly one additional pair to be had, because I have ceased one. The whole point is that I don’t want that bad pair. it is what it is though and I have explained in detail to AA sales what I am trying to achieve.

Many years ago, when I tried to order two lines, they quoted me with a large bill. But later on, I got the two lines for nothing by making two single line orders separated in time.

anything