Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: What is needed for VOIP?  (Read 3020 times)

broadstairs

• Kitizen
What is needed for VOIP?
« on: June 25, 2021, 11:29:17 AM »

I am having to start looking into this because TT dont (yet) supply VOIP, so I have a few questions.

1. Apart from an internet connection obviously what do I need to connect my house DECT phone to VOIP? What are the options?
2. Can I have FTTP installed alongside my existing copper connection?
3. Can I use VOIP over any ISPs internet connection or do they have to support it?
4. I assume that if I transfer my existing number from TT to VOIP that will terminate my existing connection and contract. I really need to keep my existing number.
5. Once VOIP is working can I redirect calls to my landline to my mobile phone? Useful if I'm out or away.

Well that is all for starters, I'm sure loads more will come out as I progress.

Stuart

ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

stevebrass

• Reg Member
Re: What is needed for VOIP?
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2021, 11:44:41 AM »

My set up WAS broadband and phone with VM.
BT copper left in place but not used.
I then migrated to BT FTTP with Digital Voice. BT copper left in place but not used.
I use BT supplied handset that uses the Smart Hub as a DECT base station. AFAIK the only way to use BT Digital Voice is with the Smart Hub as a base station.
Other VOIP would use the broadband connection with a suitable adapter.
I have transferred my land line number from VM to BT DV. Bit of a hassle but we got there. I don't know about other VOIP providers.
Whether BT will provide a phone service down an existing copper line I don't know.
Other DECT handsets can be registered to the Smart Hub (not just BT ones).

Some stuff https://broadbandandphones.co.uk/guides/phone-systems/how-to-transfer-my-landline-number-to-voip/
« Last Edit: June 25, 2021, 11:47:55 AM by stevebrass »
Netgear Orbi; BT FTTP with Smart Hub 2

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2021, 11:14:43 PM »

Its been mentioned that AAISP can redirect VoIP to mobile, but then you can also setup SIP on your phone and access VoIP over mobile data.

VoIP gives you a lot more flexibility in the long run as its just another service over the Internet, ANY Internet connection.

I believe the only time it becomes a problem is for incoming pure IP calls, that will only work correctly if everything is configured exactly right.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

aesmith

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2021, 01:06:11 PM »

I am having to start looking into this because TT dont (yet) supply VOIP, so I have a few questions.

1. Apart from an internet connection obviously what do I need to connect my house DECT phone to VOIP? What are the options?
Depends on your DECT system.  In my case I bought a new Gigaset base that supports SIP as well as land line, and which was compatible with our existing DECT handsets.   Otherwise to use your existing gear you need an analogue adapter (ATA) to convert from IP to POTs.  I dislike these as you often lose function in the conversion.

3. Can I use VOIP over any ISPs internet connection or do they have to support it?
Should be able to use any line, the performance demands are quite low in terms of bandwidth, under 100K for a voice call.  Ideally you want the latency to be as consistent as possible.

4. I assume that if I transfer my existing number from TT to VOIP that will terminate my existing connection and contract. I really need to keep my existing number.
Normally a number port ceases the existing line, however A&A now have a process to port a number off a BT (Openreach) line without the line ceasing.  Not sure on the options of your TT line is actually native TT and not OR for the telephony side

5. Once VOIP is working can I redirect calls to my landline to my mobile phone? Useful if I'm out or away.
Depends on the SIP service, in most cases yes.

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2021, 04:15:16 PM »

1. Depends on the handset.

2. Yes you can. OpenReach allow it. Some individual ISP's don't support 2 services on the same account so you may need to pick another provider for the FTTP or sign up as a new customer if your current ISP doesn't support both together. Talktalk don't support 2 different products on the same account/email. So the FTTP needs ordered with a new email address if you wish to keep both.

3. Yes. The ISP doesn't need to support it. VOIP should work over any internet connection.

4. Yes it will.

5. Depends on the VOIP provider. Some support that and others don't.

If you wish to stay with Talktalk, move to FTTP and keep your number, my advice on another thread still works perfectly.

Order the FTTP and wait till it's live. You need to do so as a new customer (for reasons explained above).
Once you are satisfied the FTTP is live and working, migrate the landline number to a VOIP provider.
10 working days later your FTTC will cease.
You now have the benefit of your number not being tied to your broadband.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2021, 05:06:17 PM »

1. Depends on the handset.

2. Yes you can. OpenReach allow it. Some individual ISP's don't support 2 services on the same account so you may need to pick another provider for the FTTP or sign up as a new customer if your current ISP doesn't support both together. Talktalk don't support 2 different products on the same account/email. So the FTTP needs ordered with a new email address if you wish to keep both.

3. Yes. The ISP doesn't need to support it. VOIP should work over any internet connection.

4. Yes it will.

5. Depends on the VOIP provider. Some support that and others don't.

If you wish to stay with Talktalk, move to FTTP and keep your number, my advice on another thread still works perfectly.

Order the FTTP and wait till it's live. You need to do so as a new customer (for reasons explained above).
Once you are satisfied the FTTP is live and working, migrate the landline number to a VOIP provider.
10 working days later your FTTC will cease.
You now have the benefit of your number not being tied to your broadband.

Thanks John. Not sure what you mean about the email address. I don't use their email system although I do have one email address with them it is unused although monitored in case it gets anything.

Sounds like one option might be to sign up to get a new ISP/FTTP connection that provides VOIP about a month to six weeks prior to my current contract ending and then transfer my phone number about 10 days before contract end.

I presume I could if needed move my VOIP number to any provider at a later stage if I wanted to.

Stuart
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2021, 05:30:40 PM »

To sign in to "My Account" on Talktalk you use an email address you provided them. I used my Gmail for this.

To sign up for FTTP while keeping the FTTC running you need to setup a new account with Talktalk, with a different email address.

That is unless they have changed things very recently and now support both services on the same account. They certainly didn't when FTTP launched.
They had the same limitation if you wanted 2 x FTTC lines. They had to be separate accounts.

I presume I could if needed move my VOIP number to any provider at a later stage if I wanted to.

As long as the VOIP is not part of a bundled broadband+voice service, yes.

The same applies with BT's (and I believe Sky's) VOIP as above. If you migrate the VOIP number the broadband ceases.
That's why I think it's best separating the 2.

It's different if you take a data only FTTP package from a provider, and separately take VOIP.
If it's a bundled package though migrating the VOIP number ceases the broadband.

If you want both broadband and VOIP from a single provider then you simply need to migrate your number to their bundled FTTP+VOIP package as a standard migration.
The Talktalk FTTC would cease the same day the FTTP went live with the new provider.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2021, 05:34:30 PM by j0hn »
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

bogof

• Reg Member
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2021, 06:44:21 PM »

You may prefer to have an ISP that give a static IP address for your connection.
With that some SIP providers (eg AAISP) will allow you to configure dialing out over SIP only to allow origination from your static IP address, which can provide an extra layer of security over and above passwords, which can be compromised.
Of course, such a configuration will usually get in the way of using SIP clients on mobile networks.

anything