Computer Software > Windows 10

Windows 10 to be retired in 2025, as new OS unveils

(1/2) > >>

maxheadroom:
Microsoft says it will stop supporting Windows 10 in 2025, as it prepares to unveil a major revamp of its Windows operating system later this month.

When Windows 10 was launched, Microsoft said it was intended to be the final version of the operating system.

But from 14 October 2025, there will be no new updates or security fixes for either the Home or Pro versions.

And Microsoft says its successor will represent one of the "most significant updates" to the OS in the past decade.

Its predecessor, Windows 7, was retired in 2020, although businesses could pay Microsoft to continue receiving updates for Windows 7 Professional and Windows 7 Enterprise.

Windows 10 was released in July 2015 and dubbed "Windows as a service", which meant the software was gradually updated at no extra charge, rather than the company releasing a new version of its OS every few years.

At the time, chief executive Satya Nadella said it marked a "new era" for personal computing.

Developer evangelist and Microsoft employee Jerry Nixon went further, describing it as "the last version of Windows"

Read in full - https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-57443598

g3uiss:
Perhaps in 5 years I wont be bothered :lol:

maxheadroom:
 I hope they don't change it too much, If i am still here and still interested in PC's i am sure it'll only confuse me if they mess about too much.   :D

Alex Atkin UK:
Meanwhile on MacOS, it still feels like the same OS from the 80s.  Its not of course, completely rewritten, but Apple realised above all else that consistency in the UI is key to making users happy.

Don't get me wrong, I've found plenty of things frustrating about going back to MacOS recently, I still find Windows easier and KDE Plasma easier still.  But I can totally see why some people swear by MacOS, once you've learnt how it works they haven't made drastic UI changes to confuse the heck out of you.

meritez:

--- Quote ---"these go to eleven"
--- End quote ---

Probably showing my age :-\

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version