Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Three 5G Upload speed dropped  (Read 2219 times)

pob

Three 5G Upload speed dropped
« on: December 22, 2021, 11:55:43 AM »

Anyone else on 5G with Three?
I've been using their home broadband service since January and it has been amazing.
However, in the last week the upload speed has dropped from 50Mbps to around 4Mbps - this is causing issues with both zoom/teams meetings and issues when a lot of downloads are saturating the upload with packets.
The same thing is happening with both 5G iPhones in the house, so I know it is not an issue with the 5G hub.

I'm going out later to try a different 5G cell tower with my phone to see what I get on that.

meritez

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
Re: Three 5G Upload speed dropped
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2021, 02:14:15 PM »

Hi Pob,

Does the upload improve at different times of day?

pob

« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2021, 02:17:09 PM »

No, it's been constantly low for a few days....

However, I reported the issue to Three earlier.  They said they couldn't see anything wrong.  But I've just been out and come back again and now it appears fine.  No idea what (if anything) they have fixed.  Very random!

meritez

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2021, 02:41:26 PM »

They've possibly kicked a heavy user

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2021, 07:59:36 PM »

The problem with 5G right now is it uses 4G for upload.  So if someone is hammering the 4G service, it drags the performance of 5G down with it.

I've often seen Three 5G drop to single digits, sometimes very low single digits which causes packet loss because its completely overloaded when trying to push the full download speed.  I hope the networks figure this out soon as it seems bonkers to be sharing upload, where most of the network contention is to begin with.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

anything