Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]

Author Topic: FTTP dangerously close - help on getting hole in wall to right spec  (Read 13157 times)

bogof

• Reg Member
Re: FTTP dangerously close - help on getting hole in wall to right spec
« Reply #105 on: April 18, 2021, 08:59:59 AM »

Duh, yes.  will correct now.

bogof

• Reg Member
« Reply #106 on: April 20, 2021, 10:47:56 PM »

I am reliably informed that CSPs look like this on the inside...

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #107 on: April 20, 2021, 11:05:20 PM »

The grey looks rather blue . . .  ;)
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #108 on: April 21, 2021, 10:09:11 AM »

I had that problem a few years ago on a holiday to Canada, every single photo I took on my camera has a blue tint, turns out I had it set to fluorescent lighting. The photos are fixable, but there is an awful lot of them.
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 390/36  ;D

bogof

• Reg Member
« Reply #109 on: April 21, 2021, 10:41:23 AM »

I would imagine the photo might have been taken in a shaded area under the fading evening light...  I think there may not have been enough reference for the Auto white balance algorithm to make much sense of the image...  :)

antsly

« Reply #110 on: April 22, 2021, 11:51:27 AM »

I had that problem a few years ago on a holiday to Canada, every single photo I took on my camera has a blue tint, turns out I had it set to fluorescent lighting. The photos are fixable, but there is an awful lot of them.

For what it's worth something like Adobe Lightroom should be able to batch correct those.

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #111 on: April 22, 2021, 01:19:18 PM »

Thanks, yes one day I'll have look into doing that.
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 390/36  ;D

bogof

• Reg Member
« Reply #112 on: May 03, 2021, 10:27:58 AM »

Well, 3 weeks in and I'm very impressed with the performance of the 900/115 service from Zen.  Seems to be working really well.  Most notice the performance on things I didn't think I would - like software updates that always seem to arrive at unhelpful times taking less time to download than I'm used to.

Only "outage" I've noted was a 4am maintenance I guess on something.  Not going to complain though as I seemed to very slightly improve my latency afterwards, can just about make out a slight step in the TBB graph.

bogof

• Reg Member
« Reply #113 on: June 15, 2021, 10:53:30 AM »

FTTP connection has been rock solid for 2 months.  EE only want £20 to cancel the VDSL line contract (it was heavily discounted, so I owe them very little once they deduct their Openreach cost savings) so I've started a port of the landline number to A&A for VOIP which should initiate a cease on the old VDSL line.  Now just shopping for an economic 4G backup service - doesn't seem any point using FTTC backup given so many common points of failure with my FTTP line.  Discussion on that here: https://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php/topic,26059.0.html

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #114 on: June 15, 2021, 11:06:24 AM »

Nice.   Thanks for the update and glad that it all worked out well.

Good luck with the landline transfer to AAISP
I need to start doing some serious research into VOIP and what can and cant be done.   Its complicated by the fact I have a calls alarm.   

On that subject, I was thinking we seem to be getting more discussions and queries about voice over IP and its a topic that I imagine that will only continue to grow when more people become eligible for FTTP.   I wonder if its worthwhile starting a new section. 
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

tickmike

• Kitizen
  • Yes Another Penguin !. :)
« Reply #115 on: June 15, 2021, 11:26:37 AM »

@kitz   Re ..' I wonder if its worthwhile starting a new section'
I will vote for that.  :)
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

bogof

• Reg Member
« Reply #116 on: June 15, 2021, 12:16:20 PM »

Nice.   Thanks for the update and glad that it all worked out well.

Good luck with the landline transfer to AAISP
I need to start doing some serious research into VOIP and what can and cant be done.   Its complicated by the fact I have a calls alarm.   

On that subject, I was thinking we seem to be getting more discussions and queries about voice over IP and its a topic that I imagine that will only continue to grow when more people become eligible for FTTP.   I wonder if its worthwhile starting a new section.
Thanks :) We'll see how the process goes.  Really only interested in keeping the number for the odd time an old hospital contact or similar uses it (most seem to use the mobile these days).

On the VOIP subforum; I think it might be worth it.  I'll admit freely to knowing little about VOIP at the moment, and if there were a place with related threads it would be useful, I'd have certainly had a dig through it.

vic0239

• Reg Member
« Reply #117 on: June 15, 2021, 12:42:37 PM »

I've started a port of the landline number to A&A for VOIP
I have ported my BT landline number both to and from A&A and both migrations proceeded without issue. I had the VoIP side already setup in advance so once the migration took place calls just appeared on the VoIP side. The only reason I moved the number back was due to the number of power cuts we experienced here at the time, sometimes exceeding the capacity of my UPS.
Lothian Broadband 900/900 + AAISP VDSL, Vigor2865Vac, MikroTik rb260gsp, ZyXel NWA50AX WiFi AP.

craigv

« Reply #118 on: June 15, 2021, 01:14:33 PM »

+1 for that, I think it could be a big topic over the next couple of years, and it really does have a different set of technical problems and challenges to deal with :)
RedHotAnt Unlimited 56k -> NTL 750kbit cable -> Virgin Size 4mbit cable -> Sky 5mbit ADSL -> Zen Internet 25mbit VDSL ->  Zen Internet 900mbit FTTP

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #119 on: June 15, 2021, 01:21:55 PM »

I think it could be a big topic over the next couple of years, and it really does have a different set of technical problems and challenges to deal with

My thoughts exactly.   
New Board created for VoIP.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]

anything