Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: OpenReach to trial new DLM stability policy  (Read 2027 times)

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: OpenReach to trial new DLM stability policy
« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2021, 04:14:51 AM »

I wouldn't say it's more stable as that is down to the line profile.  It's certainly more sophisticated and has a wider range of parameters.  G.INP is part of DLM and that has helped stability for many Huawei based lines.   'x'dB is also part of the DLM.  These later 2 are niceties that can help give better sync speeds.    Whilst SRA isn't part of the DLM, it does work in conjunction with DLM parameters and helps line stability.   

You seem to have gotten it into your head that DLM is a bad thing.   It's not.   raDSL needs some sort of DLM to fall back on - hundreds of thousands of broadband connections rely on the DLM to keep the line working and stable.  The vast majority of people don't even know it exists nor do they care.  All they are bothered about is if it works.  They are far more likely to moan about a dropped connection or packet loss than about whether interleaving has been applied or not.    In comparison there's hardly any lines that would remain connected at 80/20 without some form of DLM associated technologies.  iirc your own line wouldn't now be able to get 80/20 without xdsB and g.inp.  Even VDSL uses low level upstream interleaving   

The fact you are now on g.fast which uses vectoring, SRA, xdB and g.inp and also possibly low level interleaving... I don't think you realise how silly it makes you seem when you say Openreach needs to get rid of the DLM.   You are basically trashing something which is now in parts helping you to get the connection speed that you have.     

Some sort of DLM system is absolutely vital for higher speeds.   All of the regs realise this, but what some of us do moan about is how hard it is sometimes to get rid of banding.   I'm not talking about Max being impatient if its not gone in a couple of days, I'm talking about how like I've been banded at 60Mbps for about a year.   

Ok, now that Ive spent time typing out a longish reply please have the courtesy to read and digest what I've said.
   You've been hanging around the broadband forums for long enough, its about time you paid heed of some of the basics.    No more silly comments about ditching the DLM please - either on here or elsewhere.   I dislike wasting my time and if you're not taking onboard what we tell you then there's little point you being here.     You have been extremely lucky and seem to have found a patient ISP who is trying to work with you.   

I don't think you realise just how lucky you actually are with Unchained, nor how very close you came to being banned.   My finger was literally on the button when your message came through.   So please no more of the silliness and doing or saying rash things.   We have been exceedingly patient because of your health issues, but there comes a point when you take things too far.   It's not fair on us nor the other regs.   Whilst its a shame you didnt get away, let this be a new start.*   Now go enjoy your connection instead of worrying about it.

*Yea gawds I must be an optimist.   :-\
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

GigabitEthernet

• Kitizen
« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2021, 10:16:58 AM »

@Kitz hope you will be able to have some in peace now, it's absolutely ridiculous how much time you spend looking after certain users and I am sure you must have far more exciting things to be doing.

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #17 on: July 02, 2021, 10:23:27 PM »

https://www.openreach.co.uk/cpportal/updates/briefings/superfast/nga00621

Considering they have had the exact same 3 policies for a decade of FTTC I thought this was interesting.

Would be interested if anyone was able to get further info on this.

I am surprised you dont already have the info.
Pages: 1 [2]