Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Takeup of FTTP  (Read 2100 times)

craigv

Re: Takeup of FTTP
« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2021, 01:25:16 PM »

I've been wondering too when more people on my road/area will take up FTTP, especially as many of my neighbours are similar sized families, and the kind of 20-30mbit FTTC really can get stretched of an evening! Seen a couple of flyers through the door recently bigging up that superfast speeds of 150mbps are available, so maybe that'll change soon.

Or I could go tell them.. but I'm kinda happy being the only port in use on my CBT :)
RedHotAnt Unlimited 56k -> NTL 750kbit cable -> Virgin Size 4mbit cable -> Sky 5mbit ADSL -> Zen Internet 25mbit VDSL ->  Zen Internet 900mbit FTTP

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2021, 02:20:16 AM »

I think a lot of the reluctance of FTTP is down to the lack of advertising by the ISP's.

They don't want to undercut their own copper products so they seem to be doing everything to merge FTTP along side FTTC. Many people today think FTTC is full fibre. That's what my neighbour thought when he went with Sky (he ended up cancelling Sky and going to VM within a couple of week).

I think a combination of new builds, the increasing number of properties able to order FTTP, and the approaching end of life of copper will see a jump in FTTP take up.

There is ISPs making decent margins on the voice products, I dont know how most are handling it, are they still requiring voice lines to be ordered or just the FTTP by itself? as you said I think its a bit awkward for them.

I have also noticed a reluctance of websites to show pricing for FTTP unless you give them a postcode its available.

bogof

• Reg Member
« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2021, 12:04:37 PM »

There is ISPs making decent margins on the voice products, I dont know how most are handling it, are they still requiring voice lines to be ordered or just the FTTP by itself? as you said I think its a bit awkward for them.

I have also noticed a reluctance of websites to show pricing for FTTP unless you give them a postcode its available.
I hadn't though about this, perhaps the landline offerings - where many people take bundles they barely use - are a bit of a cash cow.

Wera

« Reply #18 on: June 19, 2021, 12:01:55 PM »

I think a lot of the reluctance of FTTP is down to the lack of advertising by the ISP's.

They don't want to undercut their own copper products so they seem to be doing everything to merge FTTP along side FTTC. Many people today think FTTC is full fibre. That's what my neighbour thought when he went with Sky (he ended up cancelling Sky and going to VM within a couple of week).

I think a combination of new builds, the increasing number of properties able to order FTTP, and the approaching end of life of copper will see a jump in FTTP take up.
I agree, despite registering with Openreach I never did get an email to say that FTP was enabled. They couold do more to advertise availability. For me it was more of a case of seeing the work progress around my area and then contacting my ISP as soon as the OR checker showed its live. There are a few people connected where I live. I suspect like me they were fed up with the speed attainable via vdsl and signed up as soon as it was live.
Pages: 1 [2]

anything