Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Popping a 5000A Fuse.  (Read 2727 times)

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
Popping a 5000A Fuse.
« on: June 11, 2021, 10:52:55 PM »

I was looking for a particular video, on YouTube, relating to losses in fibre optical cables when I came across the following --

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0mGhhdPgXG8
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Re: Popping a 5000A Fuse.
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2021, 07:17:03 AM »

Somehow I get the impression that he enjoys his work. :)
  Eric

Starman

• Reg Member
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2021, 08:47:08 AM »

I've blown many a 500A fuse in my time but not 5000A.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2021, 09:16:14 AM »

Somehow I get the impression that he enjoys his work. :)

He is a complete and utter nut case.

At first I was annoyed at his wastefulness (the first video I saw was him "overclocking" a mobility scooter to go faster), then the fact he used the term "overclocked" to describe "over-volting".  Yet after that one video I had to check out the rest,  sheer carnage.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2021, 04:48:38 PM »

I've tried to think of a use-case for a 5000 Ampere fuse. Perhaps in each phase of the supply to an electric arc equivalent of a blast-furnace?

dee.jay

• ISP Rep
  • Reg Member
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2021, 10:08:13 PM »

I believe he is an electrical engineer by trade, and behind all the craziness, I think he's a highly smart bloke.
Starlink and AAISP L2TP combo routed by opnSense on proxmox

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2021, 07:08:55 AM »

I believe he is an electrical engineer by trade, and behind all the craziness, I think he's a highly smart bloke.

Oh I'm certain of it, he would have killed himself years ago if he didn't know what he was doing.  Plus some of the stuff he gets hold of, he must have contacts within the industry.

Not to mention his behaviour would have impacted his neighbours power if he didn't do it right, I don't think the local electricity supplier would have taken that lightly.  As I recall he has a higher current feed into his property (presumably all three phases) than is typical for residential, I doubt just anyone could order that without a good reason. https://youtu.be/Ka-LEcZaYqQ?t=401 There's a video where he shows where be plugs this in but I haven't been able to find it again.

Excellent comment:
I love the fact that Photon talks like a career criminal, but builds like Tesla's smarter brother.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2021, 07:38:36 AM by Alex Atkin UK »
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

tickmike

• Kitizen
  • Yes Another Penguin !. :)
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2021, 03:07:20 PM »

I've tried to think of a use-case for a 5000 Ampere fuse. Perhaps in each phase of the supply to an electric arc equivalent of a blast-furnace?

Many used on the Railways like London underground, Third/Fourth rail on the 750V DC were the currents are higher.

As I have said before working in the research dept on the railways we had a project many moons ago to short out the 25KV overhead power cables to the rails to measure fault currents in the local cables and in the substation on a branch line near Witham to Braintree Essex,
It took more than two weeks to get all the instrumentation set up and calibrated, the test were in the night when there were no trains on the nearby main line, It was -20c that night with frost on my boots.  :-\
We did a few test and it was more like a fizz than a big explosion when the special contact breaker was closed.  :(

Did you notice the cables jumping in the video with the high magnetising currents.

@Alex re..'I doubt just anyone could order that without a good reason.' you can, I was offered a 3 phase supply when I built our house.
But opted for a single phase ( with the chap installing it giving me some larger fuses to put in if I needed to pull more power  ;) ).  ;D
« Last Edit: June 18, 2021, 10:17:48 AM by tickmike »
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

tickmike

• Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2021, 03:26:40 PM »

Yes He knows his stuff  :D

Got a 'Mercury Arc Rectifier' glass bowl on his shelf and other goodies.

When you work in electrical research you have to be like him as it's fun to blow things up, the test we had to do in our labs, great fun and get paid for it .  ;D
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2021, 05:40:51 PM »

. . . a branch line near Witham to Braintree Sussex

I know of a Witham and also a Braintree in Essex, both of which are linked by a railway branch line. I wonder if the "Sussex", above, is either a typo or the auto-correct "helpful mode" of some software?

tickmike

• Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2021, 10:21:40 AM »

I know of a Witham and also a Braintree in Essex, both of which are linked by a railway branch line. I wonder if the "Sussex", above, is either a typo or the auto-correct "helpful mode" of some software?
With my 3 brain cells I have left it's just a brain malfunction  :blush: get lots of them nowadays  :)

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2021, 02:02:11 PM »

With my 3 brain cells I have left . . .

The few that I have left are easily distracted.  :)

pxr5

« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2021, 02:59:20 PM »

Yes He knows his stuff  :D

Got a 'Mercury Arc Rectifier' glass bowl on his shelf and other goodies.

When you work in electrical research you have to be like him as it's fun to blow things up, the test we had to do in our labs, great fun and get paid for it .  ;D

Back in the 80s I used to work on a system with a Mercury Arc Rectifier, what a beast and a site to behold. It had a mains smoother too, which was basically a massive flywheel - it was mooted that if it ever flew off it would end up rolling a few miles.

Re: the 5000A fuse - I think it belonged to a one, Dr Frankenstein - hehe.

tubaman

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2021, 06:56:06 PM »

He's just put up a new video about Mercury arc rectifiers. These are things of beauty indeed - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2pDcv6g1FE0
This guy really knows his stuff.
 :)
BT FTTC 55/10 Huawei Cab - Zyxel VMG8924-B10A

z1ts

• Reg Member
« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2021, 02:26:32 PM »

The best 'fing' [sic] about this guy is his accent and terminology!!!

As a Brizzle lad it makes me want to bust in half listening to him!!