Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: FTTP Regrade  (Read 2219 times)

crackfox

• Just arrived
FTTP Regrade
« on: June 09, 2021, 11:04:08 AM »

Hopefully someone can help. I'm trying to regrade from 300Mbps to 900Mbps, I initially tried this last year as on the Zen website it said the higher speed was available, Placed the order, waited, regrade failed, then went a few weeks without any internet at all as something got messed up, after many phone calls I finally got internet back at the speed I already had, I'm assuming the regrade failed because according to BT Wholesale broadband checker at the time it said max down speed was 330Mbps so probably a hiccup at Zen's end advertising something I couldn't get.

Now the BT Wholesale checker says max down of 1000Mbps, This is checked using address and UPRN, Placed the order with Zen again and order status says "Wait for KCI-1 - FAILED 03/06/2021 15:21", have spoken to Zen provisioning team who were going to do an address query with BT and get back to me, That was on 03/06, still waiting for a call back, rang them again yesterday and was told it could be due to a capacity issue at the exchange, and was told that somebody has my contact details and will be in touch as soon as they get any information.

Can anyone here shed any light on what could be happening?

Thanks.

Just gonna add this screenshot from BT Wholesale if it helps.

« Last Edit: June 09, 2021, 02:16:44 PM by crackfox »

kjw

Re: FTTP Regrade
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2021, 01:26:23 PM »

Assume you have a Nokia or Huawei ONT? If so I guess its down to backhaul capacity...

If its ECI... well your doomed :)
ZEN 900/100 via pfSense | Unifi AC-HD WiFi
Speed Test | BQM Graph

crackfox

• Just arrived
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2021, 01:40:00 PM »

Assume you have a Nokia or Huawei ONT? If so I guess its down to backhaul capacity...

If its ECI... well your doomed :)

Just checked and it's ECI, Why am I doomed?

niemand

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2021, 02:44:09 PM »

The wholesale checker is wrong. You are unable to get over 330 due to being connected to ECI equipment in the exchange.

It only has gigabit ports out of its line card so selling 900 to you wouldn't end well.

crackfox

• Just arrived
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2021, 02:55:04 PM »

The wholesale checker is wrong. You are unable to get over 330 due to being connected to ECI equipment in the exchange.

It only has gigabit ports out of its line card so selling 900 to you wouldn't end well.

So in order to get the faster speeds it would require an upgrade to the exchange, and a new ont I'm assuming?

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2021, 03:43:14 PM »

So in order to get the faster speeds it would require an upgrade to the exchange, and a new ont I'm assuming?

It would require the whole Head-End / OLT in the exchange, and possibly everyone's ONT, to be replaced.
It's not a tiny task.

You're unlucky.
During their last press release about ECI FTTP, OpenReach said there were less than 50,000 lines connected to ECI hardware.
That's a tiny percentage of the overall FTTP footprint.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

crackfox

• Just arrived
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2021, 03:48:23 PM »

It would require the whole Head-End / OLT in the exchange, and possibly everyone's ONT, to be replaced.
It's not a tiny task.

You're unlucky.
During their last press release about ECI FTTP, OpenReach said there were less than 50,000 lines connected to ECI hardware.
That's a tiny percentage of the overall FTTP footprint.

Ok thanks  :(

Question though as it seems the ECI equipment is what's stopping me, I'm currently out of contract with my ISP so if I was to go to BT and order the faster service from them would I get it? Would they replace the ont and connect me to the faster stuff at the exchange?

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2021, 03:53:18 PM »

No.
Your entire PON (you and up to 32 other neighbours) all share the same fibre and port on the OLT.

OpenReach need to do the entire PON at the same time.

This is not an upgrade you will be able to force through yourself.
It's a legacy issue OpenReach are well aware of.

Your exchange may not even have another OLT in it.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

meritez

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2021, 04:18:07 PM »

But is that enough of a reason to move house?  ;)

@crackfox, welcome to Kitz

crackfox

• Just arrived
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2021, 04:46:28 PM »

No.
Your entire PON (you and up to 32 other neighbours) all share the same fibre and port on the OLT.

OpenReach need to do the entire PON at the same time.

This is not an upgrade you will be able to force through yourself.
It's a legacy issue OpenReach are well aware of.

Your exchange may not even have another OLT in it.

Ok, does the fact that the BT Wholesale checker says 1000Mbps down is available mean that the exchange does have another OLT besides the ECI one?

But is that enough of a reason to move house?  ;)

@crackfox, welcome to Kitz

Unfortunately no chance at the moment.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2021, 05:01:59 PM »

Ok, does the fact that the BT Wholesale checker says 1000Mbps down is available mean that the exchange does have another OLT besides the ECI one?

I'd say probably, if some areas were done long after yours its likely they would use the newer hardware.  However as already mentioned, its not a simple thing to just swap you to different hardware.  That hardware could already be at capacity covering the area it rolled out to and if anyone else is on your PON, having to replace all their ONTs is not going to be fun.  I can't imagine it being something they would do until they have to as it involves disrupting customers.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

crackfox

• Just arrived
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2021, 05:19:19 PM »

I'd say probably, if some areas were done long after yours its likely they would use the newer hardware.  However as already mentioned, its not a simple thing to just swap you to different hardware.  That hardware could already be at capacity covering the area it rolled out to and if anyone else is on your PON, having to replace all their ONTs is not going to be fun.  I can't imagine it being something they would do until they have to as it involves disrupting customers.

Guess I'll just have to wait. Any way of finding out if/when the exchange will be upgraded, or just keep an eye on the news on sites like this?

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2021, 05:27:16 PM »

Welcome to the kitz forum.  :)

Guess I'll just have to wait. Any way of finding out if/when the exchange will be upgraded, or just keep an eye on the news on sites like this?

If you would be willing to disclose the telephony exchange serving your location then it might be possible for someone to identify the headend for your FTTP service, along with the equipment installed within . . .
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

crackfox

• Just arrived
« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2021, 05:29:30 PM »

Welcome to the kitz forum.  :)

If you would be willing to disclose the telephony exchange serving your location then it might be possible for someone to identify the headend for your FTTP service, along with the equipment installed within . . .

Exchange CHESTER/SOUTH is served by Cabinet 54

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2021, 05:36:49 PM »

So that is WNCSS, P54.

(I wonder if Black Sheep is familiar with that area's infrastructure?)
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.
Pages: [1] 2

anything