Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Is the End of Windows Nigh?  (Read 8536 times)

Floydoid

• Addicted Kitizen
  • Prog Rock Fan
Is the End of Windows Nigh?
« on: August 04, 2008, 05:09:56 PM »

Microsoft has kicked off a research project to create software that will take over when it retires Windows.

Called Midori, the cut-down operating system is radically different to Microsoft's older programs.

It is centred on the internet and does away with the dependencies that tie Windows to a single PC.

It is seen as Microsoft's answer to rivals' use of "virtualisation" as a way to solve many of the problems of modern-day computing. 

Full article: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/7540282.stm
"We're going to need a bigger swear jar."

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Re: Is the End of Windows Nigh?
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2008, 06:34:41 PM »

There's not much hard information about Midori, but if it's "centred on the internet" that presumably means that the poor old punter will have to pay on a rental basis for the use of software and maybe for data storage, and would have to trust Microsoft with it all. It doesn't bear thinking about. :(
  Eric

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2008, 07:00:03 PM »

Dont know If Ive missed something here... but isnt window supposed to be an operating system?

/sarcasm.

All hardware requires an operating system.. even the most basic of machines need some sort of platform!
Maybe if M$ hadnt tried to bulk the O/S out with all singing all dancing include everything bar the kitchen sink,
then maybe they could have perhaps looked at doing remote or virtual stuff as a separate application which could be bolted on to the o/s separately.

oh no..  I forgot..  if its all included in one package, then they can justify charging more for something that many people may not want or use.

TBH I dont like the sound of it.. or maybe I cant understand how it would work to the EUs advantage...   and it could well drive more users towards linux.

... afterall whats wrong with an operating system and then installing what/only the software or drivers that you need?
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

Yorkie

• Kitizen
  • I'm working on my warm and fluffy side
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2008, 11:52:16 PM »

... afterall whats wrong with an operating system and then installing what/only the software or drivers that you need?

Which iirc is exactly what I used to do with my Amiga, copied the original floppy Workbench Disc, which you were encouraged to do with all original discs, no paranoia there, and then by trial and error made a basic start up disc from that which I bunged in when I wanted to play games. All the things like word processors and data bases were third party, you chose what you wanted, still have a soft spot for the Wordsworth word processor.

I miss my Amiga, I loved my Amiga and I hope the cretin who stole it fell down a big hole and broke every bone in his body.

Oh god I need counselling. :baby:

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2008, 07:23:41 AM »

I'm fighting the urge to go into Linux missionary mode :linux: :linux: :linux: :linux:
  Eric

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2008, 07:44:38 AM »

Amen to that brother Roseway.  :D

Floydoid

• Addicted Kitizen
  • Prog Rock Fan
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2008, 09:01:52 AM »

Back in the days of the windows 9x series that was the case, you could install/uninstall the components you needed along with the central core of the OS.  Since XP that option has been denied us.  I'm all for having some kind of modular system whereby you install the core and then bolt on the tools that you want.

But aren't M$ being a bit short sighted assuming a PC's primary (and most important) usage is the internet?

For me my PC has 4 basic functions:

1) It's an office machine
2) It's a communications interface
3) It's a multimedia centre
4) It's a games machine

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2008, 09:39:59 AM »

Spot on. Even if you lose your internet connection completely you can still do useful stuff on the PC, and all your personal data is under your own control. I would never willingly opt for a system which depended on an internet connection for its basic functioning.
  Eric

Broadband1

• Reg Member
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2008, 10:12:33 AM »

Surely if microsoft decide to put this "OS" on the market does that mean that if PC Manufacturers decide to put this new OS into PC's would we get a free internet connection because if it does I'm sure many a person wouldn't mind it.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2008, 10:37:03 AM »

Someone would have to pay for that 'free' internet connection. I would say that's a most unlikely possibility.
  Eric

Broadband1

• Reg Member
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2008, 11:47:13 AM »

well XP is pretty much good for me not looking to upgrade to XP or Vista but I am considering an ASUS Linux Machine  :P

Floydoid

• Addicted Kitizen
  • Prog Rock Fan
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2008, 12:05:32 PM »

You don't need to buy a whole new machine to have a Linux system.

Broadband1

• Reg Member
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2008, 03:07:51 PM »

I know, I know. I was looking into Linux a while back

« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2008, 03:25:19 AM »

This all looks remarkably like SaaS (Software as a Service) to me and hence isn't really news. 

I do however find myself instinctively looking for the industry standard which MS are doubtless attempting to subvert ;)

Yorkie

• Kitizen
  • I'm working on my warm and fluffy side
« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2008, 12:17:24 PM »

Apparently Midori is a liqueur made from Honeydew melons in Mexico although originally a Japanese drink. Its bright green and very sweet, I may have to try some.
Pages: [1] 2

anything