Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: BT Fibre First map updated today  (Read 4202 times)

highpriest

• Reg Member
Re: BT Fibre First map updated today
« Reply #30 on: June 11, 2021, 11:31:40 AM »

Hence why I said the majority - I think many here (including ISPReview and TB forums) that already have 50/60Mbit+ would be part of a small minority in the grand scheme of things that would jump on to FTTP when it becomes available. The majority of users with already decent FTTC connections are not likely to care enough to upgrade until such time that Ultrafast services are cheaper and there's a need for extra speed.

You are also assuming that everyone with decent ADSL in your rural area will upgrade to full fibre when it is available.

You'd be surprised. Especially over the past year, with increased WFH and remote lessons for kids and so on, having fast broadband (faster than FTTC) is more important than ever. My wife and I both work from home and when kids are using the internet as well, 80/20 can get pretty stretched. There's also the fact that most people will not get full FTTC speeds and various other factors can affect reliability and stability of the connection.

My colleagues in Southampton who live in the coverage area of Toob have all upgraded. At £25 a month for a 900 Mbps symmetrical connection, why wouldn't you?
Zen | Zyxel VMG8324-B10A (with RFC4638 patch) | EdgeRouter PoE | UniFi AP AC Pro + Lite

SlimJ

« Reply #31 on: June 11, 2021, 12:33:06 PM »

You are also assuming that everyone with decent ADSL in your rural area will upgrade to full fibre when it is available.

You'd be surprised. Especially over the past year, with increased WFH and remote lessons for kids and so on, having fast broadband (faster than FTTC) is more important than ever. My wife and I both work from home and when kids are using the internet as well, 80/20 can get pretty stretched. There's also the fact that most people will not get full FTTC speeds and various other factors can affect reliability and stability of the connection.

My colleagues in Southampton who live in the coverage area of Toob have all upgraded. At £25 a month for a 900 Mbps symmetrical connection, why wouldn't you?

My rural area, ADSL is probably 5Mbps at best, the exchange is too far away. Most with 'decent' ADSL are probably still likely to be slower than my current speed of 20/1Mbps. Like I say, 7 out of the 10 households in our area have opted to upgrade to FTTP as part of a CFP.

Myself and my partner WFH over the past year, she is a teacher doing online lessons, apart from our poor upload speeds we didn't have any issues (however, we don't have kids).  I don't quite understand how your 80/20Mbps connection is being stretched though - in our offices, we have around 30 staff, we have a 70/18Mbps connection and we don't feel the need for any more bandwidth currently (we're uploading/downloading files, managing servers, Google Meets/Zoom, using the internet for our call centre system, etc).

The Toob service, I agree, but the price point is the same as what I pay for my current connection. It's a different value proposition compared with the Openreach 900Mbps service (£25 vs £60) - I personally can't justify spending £60 for a 900Mbps service (different story if it weas £25!).

highpriest

• Reg Member
« Reply #32 on: June 11, 2021, 12:42:41 PM »

Myself and my partner WFH over the past year, she is a teacher doing online lessons, apart from our poor upload speeds we didn't have any issues (however, we don't have kids).  I don't quite understand how your 80/20Mbps connection is being stretched though - in our offices, we have around 30 staff, we have a 70/18Mbps connection and we don't feel the need for any more bandwidth currently (we're uploading/downloading files, managing servers, Google Meets/Zoom, using the internet for our call centre system, etc).

It's mainly due to the nature of my job which involves sometimes uploading vast quantities of data. When others are using the internet, especially for video calling, the upstream bandwidth is limited, which means long waits for me.
Zen | Zyxel VMG8324-B10A (with RFC4638 patch) | EdgeRouter PoE | UniFi AP AC Pro + Lite

gt94sss2

• Kitizen
« Reply #33 on: June 11, 2021, 01:42:10 PM »

I wonder if OR are only publishin smaller areas because they are less commercially viable to their rivals. Then later on suddenly the bigger areas will appear in plans, when they are already half done.

If OR announce rural areas as part of their commercial rollout, those areas become ineligible for BDUK type funding.

Big cities like London and Manchester are always more likely to have a competitor so there is little benefit to announcing those areas in advance - neither would they be public funded.

GigabitEthernet

• Kitizen
« Reply #34 on: June 12, 2021, 08:45:29 AM »

People also have forgotten reliability as a major draw of FTTP. Doesn’t go down in thunderstorms, no HR faults etc

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #35 on: June 12, 2021, 08:59:46 AM »

Lack of product knowledge and availability. My brother occasionally does some computer work for a local printers, but only when their IT man can't handle it.

Their ISP initiated a move from ADSL to VDSL, they plugged the new router in and nothing worked, so called my brother. I knew their VDSL cabinet had been live since early 2017, in fact from their front door you can see the cabinet, about 50 meters away, if that. So here we have a printers that surely must be uploading/downloading proofs etc, yet they've been running on ADSL when they had 80/20 VDSL available for 4 years!

900/900 for £25, yes please!
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 390/36  ;D

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #36 on: June 12, 2021, 09:21:37 AM »

People also have forgotten reliability as a major draw of FTTP. Doesn’t go down in thunderstorms, no HR faults etc

Its not the going down in thunderstorms that bothers me, its the fact it could take the entire house network with it.  Its the ONLY reason I plan to port my number to VoIP the second I can, no longer having to unplug the broadband in a storm.  Most people don't think to do that, but once you've had something fried with a lightening hit once, you never forget it.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #37 on: June 12, 2021, 09:23:50 AM »

900/900 for £25, yes please!

My usage would probably bankrupt them.  I already killed off Digital Region!  ::) :lol:
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

adslmax

• Kitizen
« Reply #38 on: June 13, 2021, 02:18:12 AM »

I use this checker rather than openreach site cos it lots quicker to find it: https://api.superfastmaps.co.uk/fibrecities/2.0/
TF7 (no planned yet) oh well I have to be very patient!  :fingers:
« Last Edit: June 13, 2021, 02:21:34 AM by adslmax »

gt94sss2

• Kitizen
« Reply #39 on: June 13, 2021, 10:51:25 AM »

Openreach were kind enough to tell me Wandsworth is in scope to be done by the end of 2023.

While good news, by then I expect a lot of Wandsworth to be covered by Community Fibre or g.network.

Openreach really need to upgrade this area faster, if they don't want others to eat their lunch..

niemand

• Kitizen
« Reply #40 on: June 13, 2021, 11:31:58 AM »

Which means diverting resources from elsewhere, probably within Greater London and also being overbuilt.

GigabitEthernet

• Kitizen
« Reply #41 on: June 13, 2021, 04:20:45 PM »

While good news, by then I expect a lot of Wandsworth to be covered by Community Fibre or g.network.

Openreach really need to upgrade this area faster, if they don't want others to eat their lunch..

Fair point although isn’t Community Fibre mostly doing blocks not houses? G.network though is an interesting one.

Also possibility of a Virgin Media expansion? There are streets where they seemed to just stop for reasons unknown.

gt94sss2

• Kitizen
« Reply #42 on: June 13, 2021, 04:55:22 PM »

Fair point although isn’t Community Fibre mostly doing blocks not houses? G.network though is an interesting one.

Community Fibre are also doing quite a few streets. I know they are doing the Southfields grid for instance.

Also possibility of a Virgin Media expansion? There are streets where they seemed to just stop for reasons unknown.

As I live in one of those streets, that would be nice but the cable network was installed in the 90s by what was then Videotron - don't think VM have any plans to infill anything here.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2021, 09:34:21 PM by gt94sss2 »

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #43 on: June 13, 2021, 09:04:58 PM »

Map is interesting, can see they now got some tiny Leicestershire villages as planned.  Which probably have extremely weak commercial case.  But the page at least admits now there is political leverage. (government road plan).  The city completely blank.

They not covering the bigger towns in Leicestershire though, the coverage is mostly over farmland. The biggest village covered has just 3600 population.

« Last Edit: June 13, 2021, 09:09:56 PM by Chrysalis »

S.Stephenson

• Reg Member
« Reply #44 on: June 13, 2021, 11:26:22 PM »

Wish they at least gave a year or something so I’m not obsessed checking roadworks and news all the time .
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

anything