Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: BT Fibre First map updated today  (Read 4201 times)

meritez

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
Re: BT Fibre First map updated today
« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2021, 10:09:33 PM »

You might want to check yourself into the hospital for that. ;)

If it looks like any of these then time to get excited.

Is it a known vaccine side effect?
https://support.aa.net.uk/VoIP_How_to:_Voice_reinjection
Curious about this

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #16 on: June 09, 2021, 12:36:55 AM »

https://support.aa.net.uk/VoIP_How_to:_Voice_reinjection
Curious about this

There is no great magic involved once you've looked at the circuit diagram. That page is poorly written and is a bit garbled.

Basically the components between the telephony socket on the front of the SSFP and the "test socket" on the back plate are removed, thus isolating the the telephony side from the incoming pair. Once that has been done, the telephony socket on the front of the SSFP can be used to re-inject back into the local telephony extension wiring.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #17 on: June 09, 2021, 02:19:00 AM »

Or rip the extension cable out the back and crimp an RJ11 on it.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

dee.jay

• ISP Rep
  • Reg Member
« Reply #18 on: June 09, 2021, 06:54:32 AM »

You might want to check yourself into the hospital for that. ;)

If it looks like any of these then time to get excited.

I think so? I've only driven last and I think there are covers or something on them but looks familiar.

Where I live all cabling is underground and we are further up from where I e seen those on poles. Fingers crossed the plans cover our street too.......
Starlink and AAISP L2TP combo routed by opnSense on proxmox

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #19 on: June 09, 2021, 10:39:06 AM »

I just checked the map and its very strange for my area.

Most of the rural areas are in the plan yet nothing for either Oldham (and my area Shaw) or Rochdale.

OR seem to be working backwards. I don't really understand it from a business view. Surely it is more profitable to install FTTP in populated areas first as there is more chance of take-up with a bigger customer base. But instead they seem to be focusing on rural areas first which as a lower amount of people in them, at least in my part of the country.

It looks like the government have incentivised them so much to focus on the rural areas that urban areas, unless its a MDU, are a lower priority.

So it looks like I won't be getting FTTP until after 2026  :(
BT Full Fibre 500 - Smart Hub 2

SlimJ

« Reply #20 on: June 09, 2021, 12:53:13 PM »

Surely it is more profitable to install FTTP in populated areas first as there is more chance of take-up with a bigger customer base. But instead they seem to be focusing on rural areas first which as a lower amount of people in them, at least in my part of the country.

I agree and disagree to some extent. Many urban areas are already likely to have decent FTTC services so therefore the majority of the potential customers are likely to be more than happy with their current connections and are less likely to upgrade until such time that they feel they need a faster service.

Whereas, those in rural areas (like myself) where my connection is an 'adequate' 20 / 1Mbps (but can be unstable and unreliable at times) would be more inclined to jump on the opportunity of an upgrade to FTTP service once available.  Out of the 10 properties in our rural area where we are all sub-superfast, 7 of us have pledged our gigabit vouchers as part of a CFP to receive full fibre here - we should have the infrastructure in place by February next year.

S.Stephenson

• Reg Member
« Reply #21 on: June 09, 2021, 02:28:54 PM »

Maybe with the data that Openreach has they figure its not worth competing with Virgin Media in some areas?

Barnsley has no plans as far as I can see and Cityfibre are doing the work right now, Pontefract was recently connected by VM and isn't on any plans either.

Question is will Openreach actually surrender some areas to Cityfibre and Virgin Media?

niemand

• Kitizen
« Reply #22 on: June 09, 2021, 02:48:50 PM »

It's not the final plan to 2026, neither is it a complete list of everything being built right now let alone 5 years out.

Have a look at all the gaps in London, Birmingham, Leeds, Manchester, etc, etc.

Think that's a tad more than 5 million premises missing.

I can see 2 exchanges in Leeds MDC alone that are receiving Fibre First builds, that's literally the project names, and aren't featured on the map or lists.

GigabitEthernet

• Kitizen
« Reply #23 on: June 09, 2021, 03:47:02 PM »

It's not the final plan to 2026, neither is it a complete list of everything being built right now let alone 5 years out.

Have a look at all the gaps in London, Birmingham, Leeds, Manchester, etc, etc.

Think that's a tad more than 5 million premises missing.

I can see 2 exchanges in Leeds MDC alone that are receiving Fibre First builds, that's literally the project names, and aren't featured on the map or lists.

Yes, Wandsworth is missing but is in scope as I mentioned above.

highpriest

• Reg Member
« Reply #24 on: June 11, 2021, 09:24:04 AM »

Not even in the planning stage where I live. I suspect I'll be on FTTC for many more years  :(

Same. We are last in line to get anything new, as always. Meanwhile in other cities like Bath, there are 4 different operators rolling out fibre ???

https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2021/06/cityfibre-uk-starts-1gbps-fibre-broadband-rollout-in-bath.html

As an added bonus, we also have some of the worst 4G coverage in the country (all carriers).

Does any of our "insiders" know if there are any plans for Winchester? Thanks.
Zen | Zyxel VMG8324-B10A (with RFC4638 patch) | EdgeRouter PoE | UniFi AP AC Pro + Lite

highpriest

• Reg Member
« Reply #25 on: June 11, 2021, 09:37:53 AM »

I agree and disagree to some extent. Many urban areas are already likely to have decent FTTC services so therefore the majority of the potential customers are likely to be more than happy with their current connections and are less likely to upgrade until such time that they feel they need a faster service.

Only if you are lucky to live close enough to the cabinet (as I do). Friend of mine lives much further away from her cabinet and she only gets 20 down, 3 up :shrug2:
Zen | Zyxel VMG8324-B10A (with RFC4638 patch) | EdgeRouter PoE | UniFi AP AC Pro + Lite

parkdale

• Reg Member
« Reply #26 on: June 11, 2021, 10:24:13 AM »

Does any of our "insiders" know if there are any plans for Winchester? Thanks.

My Dad lives about 100m from Barton Farm >:D (all new builds... maybe FTTP?) he's still using ADSL supplied from a cab in Park road.
Vodafone FTTC ECI cab 40/10Mb connection / Fritz!box7590

dee.jay

• ISP Rep
  • Reg Member
« Reply #27 on: June 11, 2021, 10:45:51 AM »

FTTC is not always reliable though - it is susceptible to crosstalk and other factors. Crosstalk has robbed me of 20Mbit downstream on each circuit over the years. I had FTTC literally the first weekend it was available here (Way back in April 2012!) and 80Mbit all the way.

Also, FTTP month to month will be cheaper for me (but then I am the outlier because I have two x FTTC circuits as it is)
Starlink and AAISP L2TP combo routed by opnSense on proxmox

SlimJ

« Reply #28 on: June 11, 2021, 11:11:38 AM »

Crosstalk has robbed me of 20Mbit downstream on each circuit over the years. I had FTTC literally the first weekend it was available here (Way back in April 2012!) and 80Mbit all the way.

Also, FTTP month to month will be cheaper for me (but then I am the outlier because I have two x FTTC circuits as it is)

Hence why I said the majority - I think many here (including ISPReview and TB forums) that already have 50/60Mbit+ would be part of a small minority in the grand scheme of things that would jump on to FTTP when it becomes available. The majority of users with already decent FTTC connections are not likely to care enough to upgrade until such time that Ultrafast services are cheaper and there's a need for extra speed.

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #29 on: June 11, 2021, 11:25:34 AM »

The problem with FTTC is the more popular it becomes the less well it functions as its more susceptable to cross talk/interference.

I think 4G and 5G services could have been deployed to more rural places as a stop gap until FTTP was rolled. Then all those on ADSL technology could have at least upgraded to faster speeds. The deployment would have been faster, and could have been a stop gap of a few years before the FTTP upgrade happened. So by 2027 you'd have a world class FTTP system and world class 5G services too.

CarlT made a good point earlier that there are many highly populated areas that so far haven't featured in any public plans. In my area Manchester hasn't been in any announced plans by either OR or CityFibre yet they are both there. I can see them via roadworks website.

I wonder if OR are only publishing smaller areas because they are less commercially viable to their rivals. Then later on suddenly the bigger areas will appear in plans, when they are already half done.
BT Full Fibre 500 - Smart Hub 2
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

anything