Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: DrayTek's Guide to the 'Great Analogue Switch Off'  (Read 3669 times)

dslexpert

DrayTek's Guide to the 'Great Analogue Switch Off'
« on: June 07, 2021, 12:31:36 PM »

Hello,

As many of you are aware, Openreach plan on turning off all analogue phone lines in 2025.  There's a lot of information on this out there - some obsolete, some incorrect and some conflicting. DrayTek's guides have attempted to bring all of the relevant information together into one place.  Of course, it'll be out of date in 5 minutes if Openreach change the plans, but hopefully it's useful and we hope that you enjoy it :-)

We've put a lot of effort in, and the articles are vendor agnostic (i.e. we're not trying to sell or promote anything in them) so we hope you will share the links:

The End of Analogue - Part 1
The End of Analogue - Part 2

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
Re: DrayTek's Guide to the 'Great Analogue Switch Off'
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2021, 04:31:37 PM »

Welcome to the Kitz forum.  :)

From you wording of the above post, I have to ask if you are a DrayTek employee?
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2021, 07:48:25 PM »

the actual phone service is a revenue generator
This is what puzzles me about them not combining VoIP into the ONT.  You'd think it would be easier to offer a guaranteed QoS VoIP service that way and continue to generate revenue from a phone service, plus far easier to roll out to none tech-savvy users.

I guess the cost of a more expensive ONT and potentially maintaining their own VoIP network outweighed that revenue?  Or was it an OFCOM thing where that would be seen as anti-competitive?
« Last Edit: June 07, 2021, 08:27:58 PM by Alex Atkin UK »
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

g3uiss

• Kitizen
  • You never too old to learn but soon I may be
    • Midas Solutions
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2021, 08:13:56 PM »

I really don’t think that’s going to happen, or in that time scale.
Cerebus FTTP 500/70 Draytec 2927 VOXI 4G fallback.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2021, 08:38:54 PM »

Interesting tag on part 2 BT Openreachreach.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

dslexpert

« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2021, 02:26:32 PM »

Welcome to the Kitz forum.  :)

From you wording of the above post, I have to ask if you are a DrayTek employee?

I am, but I'm here unofficially but as long as I don't reveal any secrets or say anything bad I think I'll be okay :-)

dslexpert

« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2021, 02:30:42 PM »

This is what puzzles me about them not combining VoIP into the ONT.  You'd think it would be easier to offer a guaranteed QoS VoIP service that way and continue to generate revenue from a phone service, plus far easier to roll out to none tech-savvy users.

I guess the cost of a more expensive ONT and potentially maintaining their own VoIP network outweighed that revenue?  Or was it an OFCOM thing where that would be seen as anti-competitive?

Openreach provide the termination and are only allowed to provide connectivity to ISPs, not services to consumers - that was the whole point of the BT/Openreach split, so yes, it's about competition. The ONU/Router will provide the phone sockets if the ISP/Telco wants to provide it.   The BT ONU/Router has phone ports and DECT (see part 2) but the idea of analogue phone sockets will probably be obsolete as everyone moves to native IP. The only analogue bit will be your ear :-)

dslexpert

« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2021, 02:31:43 PM »

Interesting tag on part 2 BT Openreachreach.

It's a top secret sub-division...

meritez

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2021, 04:47:02 PM »

Not a sub-sub-division-divison?

4candles

• Kitizen
  • Not young enough to know everything
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2021, 05:35:25 PM »

Er - was top secret.   ;)
To err is human - to purr feline
Zen FTTC 40/10 + Digital Voice   FRITZ!Box 7530

dslexpert

« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2021, 09:22:29 PM »

Er - was top secret.   ;)

Dammit... you never saw me, right?

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2021, 11:33:49 PM »

@dslexpert  - Hello and welcome to the forums.

Thank you for posting those links,  I was just about to settle down to read them...  and noticed ....  how weird as I'm sure that I stumbled across your own website within the past week or so. 

It was one of those journeys when you start off looking at something about your own exchange.  See something about the history and then end up following links to else to so on and so on.. and before you know it several hours have lapsed.  I can't recall all websites I did visit, but I ended up watching some YouTube vids where Alice(?) was maintaining some old exchange telephony equip.

Anyhow enough of the sidetrack and back to reading the articles you linked to. 
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

dslexpert

« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2021, 05:02:06 PM »

If you want some really nerdy 'old exchange stuff' SEG still have their very old page here (last updated 22 years ago!).
https://www.seg.co.uk/telecomm/

craigv

« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2021, 06:57:38 PM »

Thanks for the articles & welcome :)

I was wondering something similar. If my nearly 80-year-old nan had to install and configure router/equipment just to use her phone line, her head would probably explode.

On the flip side, having the ISP's equipment being responsible for giving access to a VoIP service keeps it fully within the provider's control without Openreach needing to poke their oar in, which would be the case if this was part of the line terminating equipment?

Fwiw, today I finished porting my BT landline over to Sipgate and it was relatively painless (besides an admin cockup on their side). Rewired my telephone extensions to be connected into the VoIP port of the router so nothing appears to have changed apart from there being £22.15 I'm not chucking at BT each month!

C
RedHotAnt Unlimited 56k -> NTL 750kbit cable -> Virgin Size 4mbit cable -> Sky 5mbit ADSL -> Zen Internet 25mbit VDSL ->  Zen Internet 900mbit FTTP

peteS

« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2021, 08:17:51 PM »

Thanks for the articles & welcome :)

I was wondering something similar. If my nearly 80-year-old nan had to install and configure router/equipment just to use her phone line, her head would probably explode.

On the flip side, having the ISP's equipment being responsible for giving access to a VoIP service keeps it fully within the provider's control without Openreach needing to poke their oar in, which would be the case if this was part of the line terminating equipment?

Fwiw, today I finished porting my BT landline over to Sipgate and it was relatively painless (besides an admin cockup on their side). Rewired my telephone extensions to be connected into the VoIP port of the router so nothing appears to have changed apart from there being £22.15 I'm not chucking at BT each month!

C

I want to go down this route as well - move my landline to voipfone - but I've been told that as soon as there's no phone line associated with the cable, openreach will cease the line.  That's a non-starter for me since that's the cable on which my fttc comes in - fttp isn't available.  Did you manage to keep an fttc connection, or are you perhaps already on fttp so losing the copper service completely isn't a problem.

I guess I want to convert my existing line to SOGEA, but there doesn't seem to be a way to do that.  Or even for now, move the number to voip and just get another random number assigned to keep the phone service (and therefore fttp) active whilst they get things better sorted.

A new number on the current copper does has some benefits - not least that we have a monitored house alarm, which uses the phone line and which I'll have to get something done to at some point.
Pages: [1] 2

anything