Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: DrayTek's Guide to the 'Great Analogue Switch Off'  (Read 3670 times)

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
Re: DrayTek's Guide to the 'Great Analogue Switch Off'
« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2021, 08:20:49 PM »

I want to go down this route as well - move my landline to voipfone - but I've been told that as soon as there's no phone line associated with the cable, openreach will cease the line.  That's a non-starter for me since that's the cable on which my fttc comes in - fttp isn't available.  Did you manage to keep an fttc connection, or are you perhaps already on fttp so losing the copper service completely isn't a problem.

Unfortunately that is correct, if you port the number you lose the line as its all tied together.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

peteS

« Reply #16 on: June 09, 2021, 08:30:24 PM »

Unfortunately that is correct, if you port the number you lose the line as its all tied together.

Yep - that's what I thought.  REALLY annoying though as surely that's what most people will want to do - leave the broadband alone and just cease the analogue voice by moving it to voip.  No doubt BT will let you do exactly this - so long as everything stays on BT....

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #17 on: June 09, 2021, 08:54:52 PM »

If it's a bundled voice+broadband service then migrating the landline number to VOIP effectively migrates the entire service.

The ISP simply gets a notification from the VOIP provider that you are migrating your number.
The ISP then notifies you that you are leaving them.

In such a scenario your contract with the ISP is for both voice and broadband. Migrating the entire service is handled by number making it tricky to split the services.

OpenReach have a feature called "renumber with number export".
This allows you to renumber your bundled service then migrate the existing number to VOIP, without interrupting the current broadband.
Sadly none of the big ISP's support renumber with number export. It's a chargeable service from OpenReach.

You can now take broadband only packages with BT, but if you're an existing customer you will find it tricky to split the number from the broadband.
It requires migrating away to an ISP that supports renumber with export, or just migrating to VOIP and ceasing the line, while reactivating it the very next day as broadband only.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2021, 08:57:37 PM by j0hn »
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

craigv

« Reply #18 on: June 09, 2021, 09:54:15 PM »

@peteS Alas no, I originally enquired about doing it over 2 years ago whilst still on FTTC, and it wasn't until FTTP became available and therefore I was ditching my FTTC that this became feasible :(

Renumber with number export sounds like a super useful feature, especially if OR are pushing customers towards VoIP solutions, maybe in the future it'll become more commonplace? *blind hope*  :fingers:

According to sipgate, the process for porting numbers to some VoIP providers is slightly different to those providers with closer ties to Openreach? They were super clear that the line must remain active whilst the number is ported away, whereas those within OR can retrospectively port? *shrugs*

Anyway my Nan and the Indian scammers, who are the only people who call my landline are happy I kept my number  ;)
RedHotAnt Unlimited 56k -> NTL 750kbit cable -> Virgin Size 4mbit cable -> Sky 5mbit ADSL -> Zen Internet 25mbit VDSL ->  Zen Internet 900mbit FTTP

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #19 on: June 09, 2021, 10:00:51 PM »

I assume I can move my Zen service from FTTC to FTTP and THEN port my number without issue, as the line rental is still with BT on my line?

Or will will things trip up and I have to order a fresh FTTP service THEN port the number - which in turn would cancel the FTTC?
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

craigv

« Reply #20 on: June 09, 2021, 10:05:01 PM »

I assume I can move my Zen service from FTTC to FTTP and THEN port my number without issue, as the line rental is still with BT on my line?

Or will will things trip up and I have to order a fresh FTTP service THEN port the number - which in turn would cancel the FTTC?

When I spoke to Zen about this, I'm sure they said you can switch FTTC -> FTTP then port. The FTTP is a new line, so once the transfer has completed, you'll be free to do what you like with the remaining copper landline, FTTP won't be ceased if the copper line service is.
RedHotAnt Unlimited 56k -> NTL 750kbit cable -> Virgin Size 4mbit cable -> Sky 5mbit ADSL -> Zen Internet 25mbit VDSL ->  Zen Internet 900mbit FTTP

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #21 on: June 09, 2021, 10:41:31 PM »

As it isn't a bundled service then that will be ok.

The BT copper landline would continue.
The Zen FTTC would terminate and FTTP would be provisioned separately.

As technically the BT line is required for your Zen broadband it might be different to order.
It might need ordered as a cease of the FTTC, and a separate order for the FTTP,

Having PSTN from X and DSL from Y is becoming much rarer.
Best ask Zen.
Definitely not as complicated as a bundled voice/broadband migration to VOIP though.

peteS

« Reply #22 on: June 09, 2021, 10:51:11 PM »

If it's a bundled voice+broadband service then migrating the landline number to VOIP effectively migrates the entire service.

The ISP simply gets a notification from the VOIP provider that you are migrating your number.
The ISP then notifies you that you are leaving them.

In such a scenario your contract with the ISP is for both voice and broadband. Migrating the entire service is handled by number making it tricky to split the services.

OpenReach have a feature called "renumber with number export".
This allows you to renumber your bundled service then migrate the existing number to VOIP, without interrupting the current broadband.
Sadly none of the big ISP's support renumber with number export. It's a chargeable service from OpenReach.

You can now take broadband only packages with BT, but if you're an existing customer you will find it tricky to split the number from the broadband.
It requires migrating away to an ISP that supports renumber with export, or just migrating to VOIP and ceasing the line, while reactivating it the very next day as broadband only.

Thanks John - at least there is a service which gives the possibility.  I know my ISP (Aquiss) doesn't support this at the moment, but I've asked if there's anything on the horizon.

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #23 on: June 09, 2021, 11:14:24 PM »

I'm surprised Aquiss aren't flexible enough to manually order you a renumber with export and just pass on the OpenReach charge.

Try messaging their rep on the ThinkBroadband forums. He's a helpful, knowledgeable chap.

https://forums.thinkbroadband.com/showprofile.php?User=aquiss&Board=btsupplier&Number=4654490&what=showflat&vc=1

The issue is with the bigger ISP's it's impossible to get someone to manually order such a niche item and then bill for it.
I don't know why smaller ISP's can't just bill you an admin charge and process it manually.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2021, 11:17:44 PM by j0hn »

banger

• Kitizen
  • TTB 80/20
« Reply #24 on: June 10, 2021, 01:37:21 AM »

@dslexpert

Very interesting articles, although seems like a lot of work when trying to connect existing extensions to VOIP.
Tim
talktalkbusiness.net & freenetname
Asus RT-AC68U and ZyXEL VMG1312-B10A Bridge on 80 Meg TTB Fibre

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/1502566996147131655

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #25 on: June 10, 2021, 01:53:40 AM »

@dslexpert

Very interesting articles, although seems like a lot of work when trying to connect existing extensions to VOIP.

Especially as if you do it wrong you could be sending it back out the copper pair.

It baffles me why anyone would use wired phones any more unless its a darn big house as DECT is so convenient.

jaydub

• Reg Member
« Reply #26 on: June 10, 2021, 08:08:09 AM »

Especially as if you do it wrong you could be sending it back out the copper pair.

It baffles me why anyone would use wired phones any more unless its a darn big house as DECT is so convenient.

We still use a wired extension in our hall, as the extension socket is located where we want the phone and there is no mains socket anywhere near.

The speaker in our Panasonic DECTs are very poor compared to our wired in phone, so it does sometimes get used out of choice.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #27 on: June 10, 2021, 09:10:11 PM »

We still use a wired extension in our hall, as the extension socket is located where we want the phone and there is no mains socket anywhere near.

The speaker in our Panasonic DECTs are very poor compared to our wired in phone, so it does sometimes get used out of choice.

Good example.
Pages: 1 [2]

anything