Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Electricity Wall Homeplug  (Read 2163 times)

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
Re: Electricity Wall Homeplug
« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2021, 06:10:45 PM »

I think you'll find any local ham radio enthusiasts will have a different opinion  ;)

Trouble is, HAM radio can mess up DSL too so I have no sympathy for people with an antiquated hobby that can interfere with people trying to get on with their day to day lives.

Seriously though, I will just be glad once everything switches to fibre so we can all be happy.  Having technologies that can interfere with each other is just a horrible situation to be in.

If I'm being totally honest, I do think its valuable to continue to have legacy analog equipment out there, should something bad happen that kills all the modern digital stuff.  The same reason I think its pretty short sighted to be getting rid of phone boxes.  Were rushing to a future where we have no redundancy for emergencies.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2021, 07:19:13 PM »

;)  ;)  So do we keep horses and bicycles for emergencies? The thing is that the new tech can be just as reliable as the old, better often. Horses are pretty unreliable in my experience. Refusing to go past piles of thorns because they look scary and then just going round in circles, scraping your leg against the hedge or going under a low branch to try and get you knocked off. ;)

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #17 on: June 07, 2021, 07:25:08 PM »

;)  ;)  So do we keep horses and bicycles for emergencies? The thing is that the new tech can be just as reliable as the old, better often. Horses are pretty unreliable in my experience. Refusing to go past piles of thorns because they look scary and then just going round in circles, scraping your leg against the hedge or going under a low branch to try and get you knocked off. ;)

I didn't say keep ALL technology.  But it would take a much less intense EMP to fry digital technology than analog, especially if the analog is powered down at the time.

Bicycles are also still very useful, have an electric motor embedded in mine.  Even when the battery fails I can still cycle it.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2021, 07:25:25 AM »

This thread jumped to top of the list only because of another post made yesterday (but deleted) - hence the late reply

-------------------------------------

It concerns me that Max has a CCTV system but has switched it off because the plugs were causing errors.  Bearing in mind that I have a rough idea why he installed them in the first place, my worry is that in this case safety and security are being ignored for fear of the loss of some broadband speed. :(

I'm quite sure that his house isnt that large, but just wanted to check another solution has been found rather than just keeping the cameras off. 

Is there not some sort of wireless relay system you can set up?   I'm sure Max has plenty of other routers in his cupboard, so surely there is something that could even be set up quite cheaply.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #19 on: July 14, 2021, 09:01:45 AM »

The same reason I think its pretty short sighted to be getting rid of phone boxes.  Were rushing to a future where we have no redundancy for emergencies.

It is in a way...  and we are.   
But in another way, similar to how Max put his need for speed over safety & security, here we have a situation where cost has been put over possible emergency safety situations   

I can understand that too as I'm sure there will be plenty of phone boxes which don't even have to be in the middle of nowhere, that are only used a couple of times per week.   When was the last time you actually saw anyone actually using a phone box.   I haven't used one since I got my first mobile phone sometime around 1997 and I think the only time I have seen people use public phones in about the past 10 yrs are to call a cab or those in hospitals.   

It's not even the cost of keeping them there doing nothing, they soon become loss makers when you factor into the price of how much it must cost to employ someone to go round and empty the boxes that may only have a couple of quid in them.    TBH if they were owned by a company other  than BT/Openreach* I wouldn't mind placing a bet that most would be gone by now.  :/

*with them being an incumbent rather than wholesome. 
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

g3uiss

• Kitizen
  • You never too old to learn but soon I may be
    • Midas Solutions
« Reply #20 on: July 14, 2021, 09:15:51 AM »

This thread jumped to top of the list only because of another post made yesterday (but deleted) - hence the late reply

-------------------------------------

It concerns me that Max has a CCTV system but has switched it off because the plugs were causing errors.  Bearing in mind that I have a rough idea why he installed them in the first place, my worry is that in this case safety and security are being ignored for fear of the loss of some broadband speed. :(

I'm quite sure that his house isnt that large, but just wanted to check another solution has been found rather than just keeping the cameras off. 

Is there not some sort of wireless relay system you can set up?   I'm sure Max has plenty of other routers in his cupboard, so surely there is something that could even be set up quite cheaply.

A wireless bridge would be an easy solution. Perhaps 
Cerebus FTTP 500/70 Draytec 2927 VOXI 4G fallback.
Pages: 1 [2]