Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: TalkTalk price increase.  (Read 1525 times)

maxheadroom

• Reg Member
TalkTalk price increase.
« on: June 15, 2021, 04:12:00 PM »

I have been a TT customer for many years and recently moved onto the Fibre 65 package paying £24 per month,  tonight i received this which means its going up by £2:50 per month, it says  i can leave with no charge but having searched ISP's at my exchange i have found i can only switch to BT or SKY both of which charge more and i assume they will follow TT's lead shortly so it looks like i will stay with TalkTalk "Better the devil you know" and all that.

Dear Mr Headroom.

Giving you the best value service is our top priority. Over this extraordinary last year, we've seen broadband usage soar. We’ve invested more heavily in our network, to keep up with demand and to continue offering resilient, totally unlimited broadband usage as standard. Now, in line with other broadband companies, we’ve had to review our prices.
From 15th July 2021, your monthly price will go up by £2.50 for your Fibre 65 Plan. We’ve also made some changes to your terms and conditions. Each April, your package price will increase by the Consumer Price Index (CPI) rate of inflation plus 3.7%, which is lower than BT’s latest CPI based price increase.

Thanks for being a loyal TalkTalk customer. We want you to stay with us, but you can choose to leave us before 15th July 2021 without any charges. You need to contact us directly via phone to ensure you are not charged. After this date, there will be an early termination charge if you cancel your broadband within your minimum contracted term. Click here for more information.
We hope you’ll keep relying on us to provide you with a high quality, great value service that consistently helps you save versus other broadband companies.

meritez

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
Re: TalkTalk price increase.
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2021, 04:32:44 PM »

A lot of ISPs use TTB and BT for backhaul, so you may not be limited to just BT, Sky and TT.

Does uswitch show a better range: https://www.uswitch.com/broadband/
Does broadbandchoices: https://www.broadbandchoices.co.uk/
Does moneysupermarket: https://www.moneysupermarket.com/broadband/

Can you get shell who resell TT: https://www.shellenergy.co.uk/broadband

If you go via quidco or topcashback you could potentially get money off.

Is vodafone an option: https://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/vodafone-superfast-2-63mbps-fibre-broadband-ps2195-pm-24m-contract-ps75-gift-card-3741012

maxheadroom

• Reg Member
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2021, 04:52:35 PM »

Thanks for the help, i have looked an non of the other ISP's can match what i currently get (speed and price) from TT even after the increase,  i am happy with TT but obviously if i could get a better deal i would switch it looks like i will stay put.

meritez

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2021, 05:01:21 PM »

Thanks for the help, i have looked an non of the other ISP's can match what i currently get (speed and price) from TT even after the increase,  i am happy with TT but obviously if i could get a better deal i would switch it looks like i will stay put.

What do you currently get?

If I look for quotes, I get from Openreach:
65.7 to 80 Mbps downstream
19 to 20 Mbps upstream

If I go to talktalk.co.uk I get:
Avg.
60.7-67.5
Mb/s

thanks to Ofcom, everyone underestimates the capability speed.

maxheadroom

• Reg Member
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2021, 05:29:55 PM »

This is what i got just now -

meritez

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2021, 07:42:34 PM »

This is what i got just now -

You are likely to get that with other isps as well.

maxheadroom

• Reg Member
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2021, 08:23:34 PM »

I might but there isn't much point in changing  ISP if the new one is not cheaper or faster,  i have been with TT for a long time and haven't had much to complain about hence why i haven't looked at other ISP's in my area having now looked i cannot find one that will give me the same or more speed for less money so its not worth moving to a different ISP as i may find the speeds are not as good,  i would rather pay the extra £2:50 per month and stay with TT.

« Last Edit: June 15, 2021, 08:29:23 PM by maxheadroom »

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2021, 10:29:20 PM »

Moving ISP shouldn't make any difference to speed if your still on the same line, there may be some initial difference as the DLM is reset, but it will likely settle down the same eventually presuming the line wasn't banded.
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 390/36  ;D

maxheadroom

• Reg Member
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2021, 04:15:00 PM »

Moving ISP shouldn't make any difference to speed if your still on the same line, there may be some initial difference as the DLM is reset, but it will likely settle down the same eventually presuming the line wasn't banded.

If i stay with TT i get the speed i have had since moving to FTTC if i move i may get the same speed i may not there is no guarantee.

As i have said above i cannot find an ISP that is cheaper even after adding the new £2:50 charge so there is no reason to move.

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2021, 10:36:24 PM »

Appreciate your not moving, but for clarity for others, moving ISP is very unlikely to alter the speed by much, if the same speed product is chosen, after all the line to cabinet will remain exactly the same, and it is this that primarily determines the speed of the connection.

There are things that could affect it.

Different ISPs use different profiles, which could alter the speed, if there are errors on the line
The line could be banded, changing ISP will trigger a DLM reset
The above reset will start the connection off at the standard 6dB target, if applicable dBx will take a while to adjust.
ISP capacity, although this seems rarely a problem these days.

Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 390/36  ;D