Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Online Photo Hosting/Backup  (Read 3316 times)

aesmith

• Kitizen
Online Photo Hosting/Backup
« on: June 16, 2021, 04:30:52 PM »

Hi,

Just wondering if anyone uses any of the various online photo hosting services, and their opinions as users.   I was quite happy with Google, but since start of June photos will eat into my overall data allowance so the killer selling point has gone.  It was nice having everything online but that's not really necessary as only maybe 1% are worth sharing with anyone else.  I now have everything backed to a cloud provider (Idrive) so I only need to host photos that I want to share or to be able to view on the web.

So would be interested in peoples experience, ease of use etc. 

Thanks, Tony S

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Re: Online Photo Hosting/Backup
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2021, 06:33:14 PM »

I use PostImage, which is very easy to use and is specifically designed for sharing.

https://postimages.org/
  Eric

maxheadroom

• Reg Member
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2021, 08:31:10 PM »

I use PostImage, which is very easy to use and is specifically designed for sharing.

https://postimages.org/

I moved to Postimages when Photobucket did the dirty a few years ago forcing users to either pay or lose their stuff.

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2021, 10:38:10 PM »

I'm also using postimage, create an account if you want to be able to manage shared photos.
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 390/36  ;D

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2021, 11:09:20 AM »

I've also been using postimages on the odd occasion. Its about the only one I've used since the photobucket farce.

I do still have an old dropbox account that I reactivated after they got hacked as they do still have a small free account available...but havent used it again to host any new images.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

craigv

« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2021, 03:29:20 PM »

If you have an Amazon Prime account, this includes unlimited photo storage. I never found it quite as nice as Google Photos, but I'm revisiting all options again given their changes! I'm really tempted just to pay Google, but I know that's what they want!

https://www.amazon.com/Amazon-Photos/b?ie=UTF8&node=13234696011
RedHotAnt Unlimited 56k -> NTL 750kbit cable -> Virgin Size 4mbit cable -> Sky 5mbit ADSL -> Zen Internet 25mbit VDSL ->  Zen Internet 900mbit FTTP

aesmith

• Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2021, 03:33:19 PM »

Thanks for all the suggestions.  Just paying Google to increase storage may be an option, I'm not sure because I use the no longer available free Google Apps, now "Google Suite Legacy".  I suspect I can't add paid for storage without moving to one of the current plans.  One option might be to use a separate Google account, either within my domain or a separate stand-alone Gmail account, and use that just for photos.  15Gig would be plenty if not shared with Google Drive and email.

Something I need to follow up is that Idrive, that I use for online backup, offers a specific photo version, however it seems to be limited to use from Android and IOS mobile devices.  I need to investigate whether that can be bolted onto my existing backup account, which has plenty of space available.

WarrenEllison

• Just arrived
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2021, 11:23:56 AM »

Yep, it caused some trouble with these changes. I used to keep all my information on an external hard drive. But recently we have extended our team and work has become more and more. So, we were supposed to buy more storage from Google Drive. We have many folders for raw photos, edited photos, and image background remover photos.  Businesses need investments, and I see Google Drive as the best option for our own business because we use Google tools. They are in handy, in each computer.

admin
Spam link removed
« Last Edit: May 21, 2022, 12:13:00 AM by kitz »

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2021, 12:05:42 PM »

If I want to use online backup/hosting space probably either my one drive I get with office 365 or my own cloud service I setup for personal use.

I can even host videos now without needing to setup a software platform as chrome natively plays mp4 so can avoid youtube compressing my videos down to horrific bitrates trashing my quality.

aesmith

• Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2021, 12:37:20 PM »

Do those provide photo organising and viewing functions?  I ask because a few reviews that I looked at, with titles like "Best Online Photo Storage" actually list loads of services that are just cloud storage and file sharing services, like Dropbox etc.

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2021, 01:13:06 PM »

If you have Synology NAS apparently the new DSM has additional features for photo storage and sharing.
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 390/36  ;D

parkdale

• Reg Member
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2021, 03:20:59 PM »

Like this one?
Vodafone FTTC ECI cab 40/10Mb connection / Fritz!box7590

anything