Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Retirement of PSTN - line diagnostics?  (Read 2771 times)

moojuice

Retirement of PSTN - line diagnostics?
« on: May 29, 2021, 04:34:20 PM »

So BT / Openreach plan to retire PSTN by 2025, going Digital Voice. When this happens, how would one diagnose an ADSL / VDSL line fault as a consumer? Currently the first go-to is to plug a known good hardwired analogue phone into the test socket and dial 17070 and listen out for crackles and pops on the quiet line test. It would be good to know, if an analogue phone is still connected post switchover, that there's some sort of automated tester still on the line based in the exchange, even if it doesnt connect allow you to call any other number.

What do those on migrated Digital Voice services get today if they plug an anlogue phone into the master socket? An automated message? Is 17070 still live post switch over?

dslexpert

Re: Retirement of PSTN - line diagnostics?
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2021, 05:44:40 PM »

170xx won't work any more but I'm not sure it's a particularly useful test method; you can only hear issues in the voice band (not used by DSL); the same impairment may also be affecting the DSL band, but DSL is adaptive and will avoid impaired bins (carrier frequencies) when setting the realtime line profile.  The diagnostics in your modem/router are more useful in seeing line quality - errors, bins in use, CRC issues etc. especially if you take a baseline snapshot during the good times (see attached image).

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2021, 05:57:03 PM »

There's no dial tone on SOGEA (Digital Voice).
17070 no longer works.
The ISP can still run line tests though.

A noisy/crackly line only helps diagnose some xDSL faults.
17070 was designed to detect issues with the voice service. With calls moving to IP it no longer serves its purpose.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2021, 06:04:31 PM »

I'm more curious if they can expand the band plans of DSL to use voice tones?
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2021, 06:48:42 PM »

It could be more trouble than it's worth.
It would only be a tiny increase in the U0 band.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

dslexpert

« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2021, 06:52:39 PM »

No; the DSL specs. exclude carriers below 4Khz. and as and 'older' technology (relatively) I doubt anyone has much interest in amending the ITU-T specs for what is a tiny bit of extra bandwidth.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2021, 08:17:40 PM »

No; the DSL specs. exclude carriers below 4Khz. and as and 'older' technology (relatively) I doubt anyone has much interest in amending the ITU-T specs for what is a tiny bit of extra bandwidth.

That kinda surprises me, you'd think PSTN switch-off would have been considered.  I guess they never figured it would happen BEFORE FTTP became standard.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

jelv

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2021, 10:23:54 PM »

170xx won't work any more but I'm not sure it's a particularly useful test method; you can only hear issues in the voice band (not used by DSL); the same impairment may also be affecting the DSL band, but DSL is adaptive and will avoid impaired bins (carrier frequencies) when setting the realtime line profile.  The diagnostics in your modem/router are more useful in seeing line quality - errors, bins in use, CRC issues etc. especially if you take a baseline snapshot during the good times (see attached image).

As a very easy first check for someone with minimal technical ability I think it's useful. If there's significant problems with the voice line, there will be issues with DSL. I can't recall ever seeing a report of someone having voice issues and the DSL being fine.
Broadband and Line rental: Zen Unlimited Fibre 2, Mobile: Vodaphone
Router: Fritz!Box 7530

craigv

« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2021, 10:28:41 PM »

As a very easy first check for someone with minimal technical ability I think it's useful. If there's significant problems with the voice line, there will be issues with DSL. I can't recall ever seeing a report of someone having voice issues and the DSL being fine.

I agree, for sure. When my line had serious issues and the VDSL would constantly drop or be unstable, it was the terribly crackly quiet line tests that I collected as proof which that convinced the engineers that there genuinely was an issue, even if it still took 6 visits, they at least knew I wasn't just crazy!

That being said, I'm not sure anybody without technical knowhow is calling up and doing quiet line tests. :D
RedHotAnt Unlimited 56k -> NTL 750kbit cable -> Virgin Size 4mbit cable -> Sky 5mbit ADSL -> Zen Internet 25mbit VDSL ->  Zen Internet 900mbit FTTP

hopkins35

« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2021, 08:31:45 AM »

Andrews & Arnold have re-instated their own version of 17070 on their broadband only lines which features Adrian Kennard's voice, he's the company director for those who don't know, saying "quiet line test" which is quite amusing and useful to still have access to