Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Openreach boost rural FTTP coverage target to 6.2m by 2026  (Read 6098 times)

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
Re: Openreach boost rural FTTP coverage target to 6.2m by 2026
« Reply #30 on: June 18, 2021, 01:05:51 PM »

Given the 330Mb limit on ECI exchanges, does anyone know if these exchanges are currently excluded from the plan. I'm particularly interested in Birtley exchange in Co. Durham which serves a very large residential area but does not seem to figure in any plan I have seen.

Apart from just over a dozen new site/retro new-site schemes - there's nothing showing as moving in Birtley atm.

Have you tried looking on the map that someone posted the other day ?? Gives an idea of what's happening right up to 2026 I think, from memory ??.

atkinsong

• Reg Member
« Reply #31 on: June 18, 2021, 01:12:59 PM »

Apart from just over a dozen new site/retro new-site schemes - there's nothing showing as moving in Birtley atm.

Have you tried looking on the map that someone posted the other day ?? Gives an idea of what's happening right up to 2026 I think, from memory ??.

Yep, nothing showing on that map either. Hence my suspicion that ECI exchanges are being omitted at present.
ISP:A&A, FTTP 160/30, Router Fritzbox 7530

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #32 on: June 18, 2021, 04:24:15 PM »

Yep, nothing showing on that map either. Hence my suspicion that ECI exchanges are being omitted at present.

I guess it depends what you mean by an ECI exchange.

All the FTTC cabs I've seen off my exchange are ECI, but a year or so back they started fitting Huawei extension cabinets (this has been seen all over the country), so there is absolutely Huawei hardware at the exchange now.

Add to that the Fibre First lookup said "you will be getting Gigabit soon", until they removed that when it was delayed and never put my address back on the checker.

As discussed before, there aren't very many ECI only areas.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

atkinsong

• Reg Member
« Reply #33 on: June 18, 2021, 05:53:12 PM »

It is the same here. Started off as all ECI back in 2013/14 but has since had Huawei expansion cabs installed. I guess there’s hope yet!
ISP:A&A, FTTP 160/30, Router Fritzbox 7530

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #34 on: June 18, 2021, 08:14:39 PM »

As I was reading through the posts I also started to wonder about 'ECI exchanges' knowing that just about all the cabs except for a later few that were part of BDUK are ECI.   Yet the checker tells me "Supports speeds up to 1Gbps ".
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

niemand

• Kitizen
« Reply #35 on: June 18, 2021, 09:17:48 PM »

The BDUK Huawei OLT gets used for FTTP. That's the case here - ECI area, Huawei BDUK, Huawei FTTP.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #36 on: June 18, 2021, 09:40:29 PM »

Aye, it struck me when I realised that we had a few BDUK cabs, that we must have a Huawei OLT.   For a couple of years every single cab was ECI, then we got the BDUK Huawei cabs.   More recently we have ECI cabs with a Huawei twin at the same PCP.

afaik most new cabs for the past few years have been Huawei, there's one exception that I know of which is a cab originally planned in 2003 but it got seriously delayed due to no access -rumour was that collapsed major duct.. and it didnt go live until about 2015 (after BDUK) but they still used an ECI as per the original plan.     

I think it was you  who said fairly recently that there were very few exchanges that didn't have a Huawei OLT - apols if it wasnt, and I should be giving credit to someone else. :)
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #37 on: June 23, 2021, 11:28:13 AM »

I guess it depends what you mean by an ECI exchange.

All the FTTC cabs I've seen off my exchange are ECI, but a year or so back they started fitting Huawei extension cabinets (this has been seen all over the country), so there is absolutely Huawei hardware at the exchange now.

Add to that the Fibre First lookup said "you will be getting Gigabit soon", until they removed that when it was delayed and never put my address back on the checker.

As discussed before, there aren't very many ECI only areas.

According to my install engineer who I have stayed in touch with every cabinet on my exchange is still ECI only, no Huawei extension cabinets.  But this may be why my city is a blank for Openreach FTTP, I didnt consider it might be due to ECI equipment.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #38 on: June 23, 2021, 02:30:41 PM »

According to my install engineer who I have stayed in touch with every cabinet on my exchange is still ECI only, no Huawei extension cabinets.  But this may be why my city is a blank for Openreach FTTP, I didnt consider it might be due to ECI equipment.

That well and truly sucks, though I guess the extension cabs will only happen if enough ECI cabs are at capacity so its economically viable.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #39 on: June 23, 2021, 05:04:16 PM »

I'd be very surprised if that were the case.
That would mean you have no BDUK cabinets and no cabinets installed since 2016.
It's easy to check on codelook though. Which exchange?

Edit: indeed. Probably more Huawei cabinets than ECI now on Leicester Central.
https://www.telecom-tariffs.co.uk/codelook.htm?xid=776351&cabinets=25811

There are very few, if any, Head-End exchanges with only an ECI OLT.
Any ECI FTTP out there is either old deployments or on exchanges with only an ECI OLT, which there are possibly none.

I haven't personally seen anyone get FTTP rolled out with ECI hardware that wasn't from a deployment from at least couple years ago.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2021, 05:15:31 PM by j0hn »
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #40 on: June 25, 2021, 08:40:23 AM »

I guess I am wrong, thanks for checking. :)  Wont take everything he says now as gospel anymore.

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #41 on: June 25, 2021, 05:18:23 PM »

All but one cab in my area is ECI.

The Huawei cab was the last to be installed in 2016 as part of the BDUK Manchester.
BT Full Fibre 500 - Smart Hub 2

niemand

• Kitizen
« Reply #42 on: June 25, 2021, 11:55:49 PM »

Swift reminder Openreach use Nokia OLTs as well. If there genuinely were no Huawei kit they'd install Nokia.

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #43 on: June 26, 2021, 10:59:26 AM »

All but one cab in my area is ECI.

The Huawei cab was the last to be installed in 2016 as part of the BDUK Manchester.

If your are using codelook to check that you may need to double check that list.

Any ECI cabinets that shows as being expanded 2017 or later were expanded with a Huawei.

Swift reminder Openreach use Nokia OLTs as well. If there genuinely were no Huawei kit they'd install Nokia.

Some of the Adtran kit is also meant to be live, although I'm yet to see any.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #44 on: June 26, 2021, 02:08:45 PM »

If your are using codelook to check that you may need to double check that list.

Any ECI cabinets that shows as being expanded 2017 or later were expanded with a Huawei.

Ok, I just re-checked the page. There are 6 ECI cabinets expanded. 5 in 2018, and 1 in 2019.
BT Full Fibre 500 - Smart Hub 2
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

anything