Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Openreach boost rural FTTP coverage target to 6.2m by 2026  (Read 6062 times)

gt94sss2

• Kitizen

The other week, BT announced that they had increased their FTTP coverage target to 25m premises by the end of 2026.

As part of this, they have today confirmed they now expect to reach 6.2 million UK premises (was 3.2m before) across rural villages and market towns.

In fact, Openreach have done better than that and actually produced an updated 5-year build plan for 1,100 rural exchange locations here (from page 9).

Related ISP Review article
« Last Edit: May 30, 2021, 07:41:55 AM by gt94sss2 »

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
Re: Openreach boost rural FTTP coverage target to 6.2m by 2026
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2021, 07:36:24 PM »

FWIW - believe me when I say the business is 100% committed to the announcement. It's not just shareprice inflating, guff.

Double-edged sword for me though ... workloads have gone through the roof !!  ;) ;D ;D

g3uiss

• Kitizen
  • You never too old to learn but soon I may be
    • Midas Solutions
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2021, 08:19:43 PM »

Interested in how OR cope with this. Is the use of Sub Contracting the way it’s going to be achieved? As FTTP continues, I guess copper faults will decrease. Are the really well trained “Potts” guys getting re training ? My experience is the more experienced ( years) are really valuable.
Cerebus FTTP 500/70 Draytec 2927 VOXI 4G fallback.

niemand

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2021, 09:32:09 AM »

https://www.lightreading.com/ethernet-ip/new-ip/verizon-saves-60--swapping-copper-for-fiber/d/d-id/715826

70-90% fewer faults than copper, nearly every exchange that isn't a headend can go, those headends require less space.

Build involves tons of contractors, when it's done and copper retired fewer staff will be required on an ongoing basis. Whether this means terminating contracts with third parties working for Openreach and/or redundancies within the company itself no idea.

Either way Openreach definitely won't need all the permanent, temporary and subcontracted folks they have at the moment, let alone the amount they'll have at peak build pace.

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2021, 01:24:09 PM »

As Carl alludes to - contractors are involved massively in the FTTP build - ie: civils, cabling, splicing and testing.

OR took on 2,500 extra staff last year to also assist with the roll-out programmes, and are taking on an extra 1,000 more this year. There is also a slow, controlled process of gradually moving folk from Copper duties to Fibre as and when it is deemed acceptable to do so by management. Please, no trolling that copper has been abandoned and 'they' don't give a flying about it.

The down side to all this is as again Carl nods his head at, that in circa 10yrs time there will be a limited work-force required for the 'hands-off network', that Fibre is.

From my own thoughts and perspective, this is why OR were TUPE'd out a couple of years ago and now as we speak, new T&C's are being discussed or brought in, that will only get worse as time marches on ... but all with one thing in mind, termination of contracts when the FTTP build dictates it.
Can't fault the foresight of the management working on behalf of the shareholders, it's just a shame for the younger end just starting out on their career paths.

Even though fibre splicing/testing is a transferable skill within Telecoms companies, the market will be saturated with them once the FTTP build starts tapering off - ergo, a far lower wage structure. 

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2021, 01:46:28 PM »

>>> OR took on 2,500 extra staff last year <<<
>>> the market will be saturated with them  <<<

I'd pondered on this ages ago when the roll out first commenced.   Massive amounts of staff required for work now, but nothing much for anyone once that saturation point has been reached.  I can fully see why Openreach would not want to invest in taking on and training huge amounts of people when a few years down the line there will be no work for them.

>>  it's just a shame for the younger end just starting out on their career paths << 

Indeed, you can't help but feel sorry to know that there is no long term prospect regarding employment.   Openreach - or rather BT - was one of the few remaining companies who took on and trained staff with a prospect of life employment as long as you did your job properly.    It is no wonder they had to rethink and decide to use contractors.

It's not just telecoms though... and its happened to most industries in one way or other.   My own profession was considered a job for life but not anymore and staff were laid off as automation and the Internet brought out new ways of doing things.   Even retail is no longer the same.  In fact I cant think of a traditional trade now where you would have a 'job for life'.   Perhaps Electricians and Plumbers who go self employed ... I'm sure there must be other professions that would require a switch to either self employed or say in technology that would require a retrain to keep up with advances...  but I still cant think of any of the old traditional type career roles with any sort of long term job security.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

stevebrass

• Reg Member
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2021, 05:41:12 PM »

I'd pondered on this ages ago when the roll out first commenced.   Massive amounts of staff required for work now, but nothing much for anyone once that saturation point has been reached.  I can fully see why Openreach would not want to invest in taking on and training huge amounts of people when a few years down the line there will be no work for them.

>>  it's just a shame for the younger end just starting out on their career paths << 

Indeed, you can't help but feel sorry to know that there is no long term prospect regarding employment.   Openreach - or rather BT - was one of the few remaining companies who took on and trained staff with a prospect of life employment as long as you did your job properly.    It is no wonder they had to rethink and decide to use contractors.

It's not just telecoms though... and its happened to most industries in one way or other.   My own profession was considered a job for life but not anymore and staff were laid off as automation and the Internet brought out new ways of doing things.   Even retail is no longer the same.  In fact I cant think of a traditional trade now where you would have a 'job for life'.   Perhaps Electricians and Plumbers who go self employed ... I'm sure there must be other professions that would require a switch to either self employed or say in technology that would require a retrain to keep up with advances...  but I still cant think of any of the old traditional type career roles with any sort of long term job security.

Undertakers.
Netgear Orbi; BT FTTP with Smart Hub 2

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2021, 10:05:11 PM »

It's good news that they are boosting coverage.

I wonder how easy it would be as an FTTP person to get a job in another country once the peak here starts dropping?

I'm surprised none of the exchanges local to me are on the list. Does this mean my chances of getting FTTP won't happen until after 2026?
BT Full Fibre 500 - Smart Hub 2

niemand

• Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2021, 10:13:28 PM »

No, that's not the full build until 2026. Nowhere near enough premises in those areas to hit the target. It seems a lot of places but many of them aren't big exchanges.

Some of the ones local to where I grew up are a couple of thousand premises. That isn't even a morning of build to hit the nationwide target.

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2021, 10:41:35 PM »

There will be in Leicester, BT keeping their copper network here. :) so will continue to have faults to fix.

Joke aside, I feel its always been worse for the young, we moving more and more towards zero hour contracts, agencies, contracter's etc.  Companies just dont like having staff on their books for life anymore.

niemand

• Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2021, 11:12:44 PM »

They're employees not children. Jobs for life by default are long gone bar smaller companies. Transactional relationship - work for money and hopefully job satisfaction.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2021, 11:15:54 PM »

Problem is though, if working is no longer economically viable, what then?
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

ads

« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2021, 12:57:42 AM »

Bet I still don't get FTTP in Clacton  :no:

niemand

• Kitizen
« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2021, 06:01:03 AM »

Other than the full fibre network currently under Virgin Media but to go wholesale at at least symmetrical gigabit for starters?

Could be worse.

niemand

• Kitizen
« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2021, 09:22:39 AM »

Problem is though, if working is no longer economically viable, what then?

Prices rise to cover higher wages. Until UBI that's how it's going to have to go.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4