Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Is this even achievable or is it asking the impossible?  (Read 2788 times)

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
Re: Is this even achievable or is it asking the impossible?
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2021, 02:46:56 AM »

Nice guide, maybe I should route ovh ip's to some local vm's as well.  I dont really need it, and probably could just use ipv6 if I wanted them directly routing to the internet, but its a fun thing to play with.

Ixel

• Kitizen
Re: Is this even achievable or is it asking the impossible?
« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2021, 10:31:35 AM »

Nice guide, maybe I should route ovh ip's to some local vm's as well.  I dont really need it, and probably could just use ipv6 if I wanted them directly routing to the internet, but its a fun thing to play with.

It's certainly useful in that the IP addresses have some kind of DDoS protection and if you have a block of IP addresses then OVH will allow you to modify some of the WHOIS details. That being your contact information as well as an abuse email, which also comes in handy if you need/want to signup to Google's Postmaster and/or Microsoft's SNDS (for email deliverability reasons). I'm glad I found this guide, as it's much simpler than the way I was doing it via L2TP tunnels on the Firebrick. It's certainly been an interesting experience.

There's just one final issue I'm sorting out, GeoIP inaccuracy. Maxmind initially believed the block of IP addresses I have were in France, but fortunately you can report discrepancies and they will fix them if they see that it's incorrect (which they did for mine). Google is also incorrect at the moment, but I've submitted a report to them as well which I hope will resolve that in the next month or so (right now Google search, for example, comes up with the French version of Google).

I can't get much better than 300 megabits or so from the EdgeRouter Pro 8 as GRE tunnels aren't offloaded, but I could probably also do this on the UDM Pro and achieve a higher throughput if I really wanted to. At the moment the UDM Pro is unused as the firmware is currently lacking in quite a number of features, even some basic ones I take for granted such as NAT configuration. As I didn't get it from Amazon it's not exactly easy to send back, so I decided just to keep it and hope eventually the firmware will evolve enough. I had planned on upgrading to the UDM Pro from the EdgeRouter Pro 8.
Pages: 1 [2]

anything