Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Stuck in hole  (Read 4247 times)

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
Stuck in hole
« on: May 26, 2021, 04:51:15 AM »

I have a new iPad pro v4 (2020) with a USB-C port on it. Because the stupid new machine, unlike my previous iPad Pro v1, has no analog headphone output, my wife bought me an interface device that plugs into USB-C and provides headphones output and takes dc power at the same time. So, I stuck the device into the USB-C port and now it is completely stuck fast. I daren’t pull any harder for fear of knackering the machine. The machine is under warranty but this is a third-party interface device. Any suggestions ?

tubaman

• Senior Kitizen
Re: Stuck in hole
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2021, 09:34:01 AM »

I suspect Apple will wash their hands of it if the port breaks as it's a third party device. Even if it wasn't I think they'd say it was user error. You're right not to force it but am unsure what else to suggest.  :(
« Last Edit: May 26, 2021, 10:34:44 AM by tubaman »
BT FTTC 55/10 Huawei Cab - Zyxel VMG8924-B10A

g3uiss

• Kitizen
  • You never too old to learn but soon I may be
    • Midas Solutions
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2021, 10:17:06 AM »

A third party phone shop would likely fix that, but I don’t expect there are any you have access to. Perhaps sending by a courier to an Apple approved one might be the solution.
Cerebus FTTP 500/70 Draytec 2927 VOXI 4G fallback.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2021, 11:12:54 AM »

Could I send it in to Apple for ‘repair’?

A truly crazy idea, would lubricant such as WD40 help? I’m trying to think why/how it has got stuck in the first place. Is there some kind of retracting catch in the USB-C mechanism? Is there some mechanism there to fail?

petef

• Reg Member
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2021, 12:14:10 PM »

The cause of the problem may well be accumulated fluff in the socket. It is a bit late now but they tend to need cleaning out with something pointed and non-conductive if kept in a pocket without a case. But to answer your question there is no catch, it is only the springiness of the contacts holding the connector in place.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2021, 01:22:34 PM »

Are you sure its stuck?  USB-C connectors are a lot more robust than past micro/mini connectors so can be a much tighter fit.

The whole engineering idea around USB-C was that the socket should be bullet-proof so that if anything fails, its the plug.  This was after the reverse typically was true of microUSB where the socket would frequently fail.  So pulling it hard shouldn't be an issue.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2021, 07:38:47 PM »

I have pulled it as hard as I dare. My fingers are not that strong, luckily as I don’t want to knacker the machine itself.

tickmike

• Kitizen
  • Yes Another Penguin !. :)
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2021, 11:14:17 AM »

Instead of a straight pull try pulling at different angles (few degrees) .
Wiggle it as well.

I would think it's a poorly made plastic part of the plug that may have a rough edge on it and that's stopping it coming out.
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2021, 11:56:03 AM »

I have tried both the ‘wiggle’ and ‘few degrees’ strategies ideas and I’m pulling with the full strength of my arm, which isn’t saying much, fortunately, as I’m very weak. I really don’t want to knacker the new machine. That would be a true plonker’s move. I put one piece of kitchen roll over my fingers to make the contact more dry, and get rid of any grease on my fingers that might cause them to slip against the plastic.

parkdale

• Reg Member
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2021, 03:01:26 PM »

The USB C port on the other half's Xiaomi MI 5 fits with a click so you know it's in and locked. She managed to brake the port on cable end, but not the socket! so we have a growing collection of duff C-C cables.
Vodafone FTTC ECI cab 40/10Mb connection / Fritz!box7590

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2021, 02:22:20 PM »

The ‘fits with a click thing’ makes sense, so I’m thinking that my interface has locked itself in place and done so for good! And it’s not unwilling to unlock itself ever again.

petef

• Reg Member
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2021, 02:33:34 PM »

If there is some kind of catch you could perhaps try powering the phone off which i would hope would release any electromagnetic lock.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2021, 02:45:28 PM »

This is an iPad, not an phone, btw. I did turn the ipad ‘off’ but that probably just puts it into some sleep state as I can’t take the battery out, but it’s what Apple and their users would call an ‘off’ state. I got my thumbnail in behind the edge of the device and nearly broke my thumbnail, but no joy.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2021, 11:25:48 PM »

There's nothing really elaborate about the USB-C locking mechanism, its just a friction fitting.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2021, 11:35:41 PM »

Alex, how can it be jamming that hard? I’m using the full strength of my (feeble) arm to try to pull it out. The pressure between my thumb and finger is at my own limit.
Pages: [1] 2