Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: Starlink (LEO Satellite Link)  (Read 9853 times)

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
Re: Starlink (LEO Satellite Link)
« Reply #45 on: July 13, 2021, 06:11:59 PM »

So starlink is a custom openwrt build: https://github.com/SpaceExplorationTechnologies/starlink-wifi

Not that surprising I guess, a LOT of router OS seem to be custom OpenWRT, not all of them obeying the GPL.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

jelv

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
Broadband and Line rental: Zen Unlimited Fibre 2, Mobile: Vodaphone
Router: Fritz!Box 7530

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #47 on: July 19, 2021, 11:35:57 AM »

On latency, it’s worth noting that Elon Musk has long spoken of Starlink as being intended to deliver an average latency time of around 20ms. Clearly, not everybody is getting that right now, although some of this may be due to people testing over WiFi and any latency being added by Ookla’s testing platform. However, Musk recently pledged that ping times would “improve dramatically in the coming months … we’re aiming for <20ms.”

I'm impressed if they can get latency down to <20ms.   
There was me thinking satellite latency traditionally ran into the multiple hundreds of ms.
I wonder about redundancy and its effects.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #48 on: July 19, 2021, 11:47:52 AM »

Just did a bit of googling.

There's what appears to be a decent explanation here: Wonder how SpaceX’s StarLink can achieve record low latency?

New York -> London

43ms Starlink
55ms Optical Fibre

There's also an engineering based video discussing Starlink

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=giQ8xEWjnBs

small snippet of some transcript from the vid

These lasers, like our fibre optic cables here on earth, will use light pulses to transmit information between satellites.   Transmitting with light in space offers one massive advantage over transmitting with light on earth.  The speed of light is not constant in every material, in fact, light travels 47% slower in glass than in a vacuum.   This offers Starlink one huge advantage that will likely be its primary money maker.  It provides the potential of lower latency information over long distance
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #49 on: July 19, 2021, 12:09:45 PM »

AAISP latency graph for their 2 customers using their L2TP service over Starlink, averaging 40-50ms

More info: L2TP Starlink

-----

jelv

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #50 on: July 19, 2021, 03:27:16 PM »

We'd discussed latency on Starlink before - it all comes down to basic physics!

If you had read the article I linked you'd know this was a fact, not a claim.

All satellites up until now have been orbiting at a height of around 20,000 miles. Receiver to satellite, and back to ground station, then back again with the reply is 4x20,000 miles which at the speed of light takes 430 milliseconds before you take anything else in to account. Starlink are low earth orbit satellites at a height of around 300 miles (that's why they need so many to provide continuous service as each one quickly disappears over the horizon), which adds 6ms.

It wouldn't surprise me if for Weaver the latency on Starlink was better than he gets now.

Edit: There's posts in that topic that perhaps should be merged in to this one?
« Last Edit: July 19, 2021, 03:30:59 PM by jelv »

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #51 on: July 19, 2021, 06:40:36 PM »

Very impressive indeed, seems about as consistent as 4G.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #52 on: July 19, 2021, 08:53:13 PM »

We'd discussed latency on Starlink before - it all comes down to basic physics!

Edit: There's posts in that topic that perhaps should be merged in to this one?

Yes there is, but having just looked not sure if it would tend to break things up in the other thread too much. :(

I'd already pondered this morning, whether it may be an idea to move this thread over to the broadband technology section and to try and keep any talk about the technology to this thread.     I must have missed the earlier discussion about the latency, so I was really surprised when I saw just how low it was...  so of course I then started thinking how.
-----

jelv

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #53 on: June 07, 2022, 12:58:05 PM »

meritez

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #54 on: June 07, 2022, 01:53:24 PM »

Not that surprising I guess, a LOT of router OS seem to be custom OpenWRT, not all of them obeying the GPL.

It can now be built, if you are interested:
https://github.com/olegkutkov/starlink-wifi-gen2/

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #55 on: June 07, 2022, 08:53:33 PM »

https://www.revk.uk/2022/06/starlink.html

I'm honestly surprised he doesn't mention how Starlink is not going to be viable long-term (its not an economically viable business model, even ignoring the space trash issue), but I guess his priority is to assess how it works NOW especially alongside AAISP L2TP.

The discussion about Starlink not launching with IPv6 I think says it all really about the lack of real-world forward planning.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #56 on: June 08, 2022, 12:00:15 AM »

Not launching with IPv6 - absolutely incredible. World IPv6 launch day was what ten years ago? And RIPE’s IPv4 exhaustion was about three years ago or something? A bad joke.

neil

• Reg Member
« Reply #57 on: August 17, 2022, 08:18:08 PM »

The peak capacity of the entire starklink system covering the entire globe is 10Tbps.
VDSL FTTC 35/18
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

anything