Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Starlink (LEO Satellite Link)  (Read 9855 times)

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
Re: Starlink (LEO Satellite Link)
« Reply #30 on: May 31, 2021, 11:27:54 AM »

I don’t know anything much about the R100 scheme. Are they really saying that they will give FTTP to 100% of Scotland’s customers? Is there some timescale?

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #31 on: May 31, 2021, 11:32:06 AM »

Yes they are saying 100%, doing, and time scale, well that's a different thing  ::)

https://www.gov.scot/news/delivering-r100/
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 390/36  ;D

aesmith

• Kitizen
« Reply #32 on: June 16, 2021, 03:54:30 PM »

I don’t know anything much about the R100 scheme. Are they really saying that they will give FTTP to 100% of Scotland’s customers?
I don't think they are promising FTTP.  Their words would allow for FTTC, 4G or even satellite.  The seem to focus only on the download bits per second with no regard for latency, data allowance or cost.  Illustrated by the fact that in Aberdeenshire at least their "subsidised" and "30 meg" satellite service is actually outperformed by a 3meg ADSL.  As tested by our neighbour.
The Reaching 100% (R100) programme is a commitment to provide access to superfast broadband of 30 Megabits per second (Mbps) to every home and business in Scotland.

aesmith

• Kitizen
« Reply #33 on: June 16, 2021, 04:02:17 PM »

A new superfast connection is being built in your area. It's part of the Scottish Government’s broadband improvement scheme.

Your connection will be delivered after the end of 2021. More details will be available later this year.
It gives that exact same result for almost any postcode in Scotland that doesn't have high speed available today.  Certainly it gives the same for my address, and for a few others I checked.  Note they say "after" but not how long after.  The only exception was for the address where we lived 15 years ago where it says ..
It appears that you can currently get up to £5000 from the Scottish Government in the form of a superfast broadband voucher. You can use it for the cost of fitting a new, faster commercial broadband supply. Options could include things like fibre, wireless and more.
Which I think means no form of roll out is expected.

noddy

• Reg Member
« Reply #34 on: June 18, 2021, 09:18:40 AM »

It gives that exact same result for almost any postcode in Scotland that doesn't have high speed available today.  Certainly it gives the same for my address, and for a few others I checked.  Note they say "after" but not how long after.  The only exception was for the address where we lived 15 years ago where it says ..Which I think means no form of roll out is expected.
They only say nothing planned for my area OE line :( , they did give me a £5000 grant but goodness knows what I'm supposed to do with it other than have high monthly costs . So 100% roll out really means everywhere except places where we don't do it ;)

aesmith

• Kitizen
« Reply #35 on: June 18, 2021, 03:40:43 PM »

Did they actually give you the £5000, or just say that you would be eligible?  My understanding is that you would be eligible if your premises are connected to an exchange where there is no plan to ever deploy fibre.  Whereas in a case like mine or Weaver's, where the exchange is expected to be upgraded to fibre but your particular premises are likely to be omitted, there is a £400 grant available.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #38 on: June 19, 2021, 08:31:23 AM »

Heat no, but wind, rain and snow it would.

If it was mounted on a very solid structure that may rule out the first, but that depends on the construction of the dish itself. It's supposed to be able to detect and melt snow, but how much it can cope with who knows.

Unless it's tried nobody will know how well it would work in that location through out the seasons.

Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 390/36  ;D

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #39 on: June 19, 2021, 09:14:27 AM »

Wind definitely, but they do point out it handles snow.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

noddy

• Reg Member
« Reply #40 on: June 19, 2021, 03:51:37 PM »

Did they actually give you the £5000, or just say that you would be eligible?  My understanding is that you would be eligible if your premises are connected to an exchange where there is no plan to ever deploy fibre.  Whereas in a case like mine or Weaver's, where the exchange is expected to be upgraded to fibre but your particular premises are likely to be omitted, there is a £400 grant available.
That's what strange our exchange has been upgraded to fibre but it appears there's no chance of EO lines getting it :( they told me the grant would be £5000 ( but it's not appeared in my bank yet  :lol: )

gt94sss2

• Kitizen
« Reply #41 on: June 19, 2021, 11:13:23 PM »

It also seems quite power hungry which given where Weaver is, either means UPSs and/or a risk of electrical damage..

meritez

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #42 on: June 20, 2021, 07:36:30 AM »

It also seems quite power hungry which given where Weaver is, either means UPSs and/or a risk of electrical damage..

Yes the electrical consumption is high compared.

jelv

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #43 on: June 30, 2021, 09:20:08 AM »

Broadband and Line rental: Zen Unlimited Fibre 2, Mobile: Vodaphone
Router: Fritz!Box 7530

meritez

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #44 on: July 13, 2021, 05:36:46 PM »