Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Starlink (LEO Satellite Link)  (Read 9851 times)

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: Starlink (LEO Satellite Link)
« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2021, 02:12:48 PM »

Apols if I missed it or if it has already been discussed...  but I cant help wondering how Weaver would fare with respect to applying with the USO.   The USO is supposed  to ensure everyone has the right to an affordable broadband connection of at least 10Mb.   I'm quite sure that the current solution falls outside what Ofcom defines as affordable (£46.37)....  but I also wonder where AAISP would fit into this and if it may mean relying on 4G or BT.     
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

niemand

• Kitizen
« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2021, 03:52:38 PM »

Never suggested for a minute anyone lied. Know well how relaxed A&A were.

The 100 Mb L2TP limit will be going up once A&A have their 10 Gb Firebricks going so this could be a great solution.

If 4G is good that eliminates the USO as an avenue.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2021, 06:13:06 PM »

. . . but I cant help wondering how Weaver would fare with respect to applying with the USO.   The USO is supposed  to ensure everyone has the right to an affordable broadband connection of at least 10Mb.

The village of Heasta has been consistently ignored but, knowing the full address of "The Weaving Shed", I took the above link and entered the relevant details. The result is paraphrased below --

It looks like your address might be eligible for a network upgrade

Please call our dedicated help desk on 0800 783 0223 – lines are open Monday to Friday from 9am to 5pm

The significant word is "might" and I suspect it is used in the same context as pigs & flying. (With apologies to our licquorice, of course.)

I believe when CarlT made some informal enquiries regarding FTTPoD the estimated price was six digits. I don't know how many addresses actually exist in Heasta but if, for example, there are one hundred (which I know is not true) the price per property might just be acceptable as a community led project . . .  :-\
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

niemand

• Kitizen
« Reply #18 on: May 29, 2021, 10:09:55 PM »

A digital pump then community build, not Openreach, seems the best way to go.

Pretty spread out, if enough privately owned land a B4RN solution looks good.

Failing that a bit of a wait for public funding.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #19 on: May 30, 2021, 02:39:38 AM »

If it were me, I'd still request enquire as it would be interesting to know just what the work required and how much the estimated costs would be.  There's no charge for contacting them and requesting the information.

I'd also be seeing if I could get other locals to enquire 

"It’s important to get as many eligible premises in your area as possible to register their interest by calling the above number.
If more than 70% of eligible premises register in your network build area, our contribution goes up and the amount you need to raise goes down."
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

gt94sss2

• Kitizen
« Reply #20 on: May 30, 2021, 07:39:46 AM »

I agree a formal USO quote would be interesting. If 70% of premises register interest, BT double the £3,400 they contribute per property.

The other bit of good news is that as BT have confirmed that c.80% of UK premises will be covered by their commercial FTTP build, that leaves less for BDUK to ultimately cover.

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #21 on: May 30, 2021, 09:31:55 AM »

He's covered by the Scottish R100 program, but no telling when it would be installed, if ever. Here and now the best solution probably is Starlink, followed by 4G.
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 390/36  ;D

gt94sss2

• Kitizen
« Reply #22 on: May 30, 2021, 10:16:32 AM »

Whenever I try Weaver's postcode on https://www.scotlandsuperfast.com/the-r100-programme/check-my-address/ I never get any results for some reason..

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #23 on: May 30, 2021, 02:16:13 PM »

I was very happy until the lightning strike of early 2020. Following that nothing has ever seemed to be right.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #24 on: May 30, 2021, 04:13:13 PM »

Whenever I try Weaver's postcode on https://www.scotlandsuperfast.com/the-r100-programme/check-my-address/ I never get any results for some reason..

It accepts Weaver's postcode but the "Select Your Address" box that is subsequently shown does not have Torr Gorm in its list.  ???

Subsequent edit --

I selected the address 1, Heaste, Broadford, Isle Of Skye and it showed a map with circle essentially on Torr Gorm. Also displayed was --

A new superfast connection is being built in your area. It's part of the Scottish Government’s broadband improvement scheme.

Your connection will be delivered after the end of 2021. More details will be available later this year.

The new connection will mean your address can get faster internet speeds. That’ll make it easier to videocall loved ones, watch shows online, work from home, and more – without any hiccups.

What about between now and then?

You may be able to get a one-off £400 voucher from the Scottish Government. You will have to engage a registered provider to apply for this funding on your behalf by 31 December 2021. There is more information about vouchers and providers here

This voucher can be used for the cost of fitting a faster commercial broadband supply in the meantime. Think of this as a temporary way to speed things up until the permanent connection is up and running. Options might include things like satellite broadband and more.

Still got questions? Here are some handy Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

Hmm  :hmm:
« Last Edit: May 30, 2021, 04:20:49 PM by burakkucat »
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #25 on: May 30, 2021, 07:36:11 PM »

A £400 voucher could go towards a Starlink installation.

jelv

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #26 on: May 30, 2021, 07:37:38 PM »

Are Starlink one of the registered providers?
Broadband and Line rental: Zen Unlimited Fibre 2, Mobile: Vodaphone
Router: Fritz!Box 7530

gt94sss2

• Kitizen
« Reply #27 on: May 30, 2021, 09:16:44 PM »

It accepts Weaver's postcode but the "Select Your Address" box that is subsequently shown does not have Torr Gorm in its list.  ???

You've got further than me. The 'Select your address' box is always totally blank for me  ??? ::)

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #28 on: May 30, 2021, 10:28:47 PM »

You are so good to me, doing all this work. Many many thanks. I am not even sure I have enough concentration to undertake the work required for a radical internet access link swapout. I can’t even see or type properly, the morphine has gone up a lot recently, and you are all aware of my shocking problems with memory and concentration. ;) Still I’m enjoying life a lot, which wasn’t the case a while back.

I would need to really ask Mrs Weaver for a lot of help, but she has physical problems many of which you are not aware of - though the arthritis in her hands is one. Her health is probably worse than mine in fact. She was really enjoying the rest during lockdown and now she’s up and running again with her business she’s enjoying that too.  I’ve asked Mrs Weaver to write to our MP Iain Blackford.

One reason why A&A are so fantastic for me is that if I am out of action, then I can tell Janet to just SMS them, email or phone them and they will take it from there, fast.

I’m just pointing out the logic for us is not the same as for ‘normal’ domestic users and we have far heavier reliability requirements, like those of a business because of my own critical communications reliance requirement. I need to be able to contact Janet if she’s outside (in EE 4G coverage) when I need pain relief badly. So this post will allow you to appreciate how different requirements can look solely like mere inertia.

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #29 on: May 31, 2021, 12:04:44 AM »

Are Starlink one of the registered providers?

Don't know, but it is mentioned here https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2021/04/new-uk-gigabit-voucher-scheme-terms-add-satellite-and-caveats.html but it does go on to say:

On the Satellite change, BDUK confirmed that due to the technical criteria they are NOT “expecting the voucher scheme to fund any satellite connections in the near term” and the main reason for its mention was to ensure a technology neutral approach.

As for the Scottish voucher, Starlink don't appear on the list here https://www.scotlandsuperfast.com/how-can-i-get-it/scottish-broadband-voucher-scheme/

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4