Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Energy Saver v DLM  (Read 4674 times)

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
Re: Energy Saver v DLM
« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2022, 01:44:15 AM »

Yes, but you mentioned them on a thread started by someone who is, so I was pointing out how they wouldn't help as much in that use case and physically turning off will save a little more if you're being obsessed.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

Derpy

« Reply #16 on: September 07, 2022, 02:53:33 AM »

Yes, but you mentioned them on a thread started by someone who is, so I was pointing out how they wouldn't help as much in that use case and physically turning off will save a little more if you're being obsessed.

Sorry I was not clear enough with my last sentence in that post, I was more mentioning it as an aside rather than a solution as a wifi plug wouldnt turn the device back on without wifi potentially. It is possible with Tasmota but its not straight forward, it was more for the big ticket items where it can make a difference but really I bought them for the switch aspect for device/light control and the power monitoring has proving interesting to see what the cost of devices are.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #17 on: September 07, 2022, 04:21:00 AM »

I had been interested in monitors myself, but some are built rather sketchily which put me off.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #18 on: September 20, 2022, 01:42:17 AM »

I have too many things needing wifi access to even consider turning my wifi off.  My lighting and heating relies on it for voice.  Alexa does not work if your network is down. 

It would however be useful if I went back to one single modem/router device.  I need to have a think about this as unfortunately the VMG8324 has a limitation of the number of wifi devices that will connect at any one time... which is far less than the no of smart devices I have. 
The DLM crippled me soon after I went on the ECI trial as g.inp doesnt work very well with my daily bursts of SHINE.  I could apply to get a reset... but I should imagine the reset would turn off g.inp totally.

Would smart plugs help some people re turning on/off items.  I can set a schedule on my smart plugs to come back up at certain times as long as I remember to do so before the router is switched off

eg if I get a DSLstats phone alert when away from home to say my errors are going crazy I can instruct Kasa to turn on the HS110 in 10 mins... as long as I programe it before I turn off the router.   Its a crude way of power cycling my Zyxel.

If I'm away from home I cant instruct any smart devices if the router is off.  Kasa (and IFTTT) is the TPlink app which controls smart plugs.  My Zyxel is plugged in using a TPlink HS110.  Its a case of remembering to a schedule to come back up _before_ I set a schedule to take it offline  You may need to experiment with other makes to see what software apps they have available.  TPlink smart switches continues to operate timers without internet.

Dont know if it would work with the oven though as many older ovens dont operate via a standard wall socket.

Caveat I just noticed the following

Q12: Will the Timer and Schedule function still take effect if internet is down?

A: Yes, those functions will take effect even if the Smart Home device loses its internet connection.

But during the time of losing the internet, please don't power off the Smart Home device, or the schedule will not take effect.

Note: If the device is turned on/off manually or by APP, then Timer will be shut down while Schedule is still working.

I can guarantee you that I have successfully managed to bring my modem back up by setting a schedule to come back up in 5-10 mins.  I've posted many times before on here that I have.  Must admit I haven't tried in the past couple of years (since lockdown), but before that I did as I frequently went to my daughters and did so from there. 
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #19 on: September 20, 2022, 01:56:15 AM »

I would consider a plug to give you readings as its quite interesting getting the costs of washing clothes etc, I have a bunch of wifi tasmota ones that log power usage for me and send me alerts via Home Assistant.

I should look at mine sometime.  I have a few different models which I couldnt remember and why I ended up on the Zyxel site to spot that warning about timers.  One of mine does, one doesnt.  I think its the HS200 that doesnt and the HS210 that does.   I also have a TPlink plug slim and several other brands including a couple which are extension leads..

As regards to max...  wount he not save more power by completely turning off the device he is using for DSLstats rather than worry about the modem   Even before the days of DSLstats I never turned my modem off.   It would do my head in waiting for it to come back up.  Especially annoying if you have camera, doorbell smart devices.  I think he may have Alexa and some security decives too so that could change things.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2022, 01:59:42 AM by kitz »
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP CF
« Reply #20 on: September 21, 2022, 07:36:05 AM »

I would ignore the press reports of average sized bills they are confusing, but doing some quick maths based on the energy price guarantee unit rates.

If I highball the estimate, so lets pretend the router uses 10w (its much likely lower though).  Assume overnight is 8 hours.

About £9.93 including VAT for a year.  About £5 for a 5w device, and about £3 for a 3w device.

So agree wth the advice to measure it using a socket meter plugin device then can guestimate the annual savings. I dont think its worth it in isolation, but might be as part of turning of a group of devices.

Apologies if my maths are wrong.

craigski

• Reg Member
« Reply #21 on: September 21, 2022, 09:26:37 AM »

Apologies if my maths are wrong.

I think the new price cap varies slightly by regions, but I worked it out approx £30 per year for 10W device on 24/7, so if it was turned off for 8 hours per day, you would save £10.

I agree with your maths  :)
Pages: 1 [2]