Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: Diary of My Experiences with Lightning Fibre (FTTP local ISP)  (Read 12103 times)

SaltyWagyu

• Just arrived
Re: Diary of My Experiences with Lightning Fibre (FTTP local ISP)
« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2022, 12:53:07 PM »

If you wanted to use your own router you'd ideally connect it directly to the ONT and not use their one at all. However, Zyxel routers can be locked to the ISP's settings so if you really need to use your own I'd contact them and ask before committing to anything.

Thank you, I somehow missed that they supply a modem and router seperately. Hopefully I can use the Asus with the modem using PPPoE in that case, if that's what they use. I will contact them before ordering.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2022, 04:39:27 PM »

. . . I somehow missed that they supply a modem and router seperately.

There is no "modem" with a FTTP service. The equivalent device is an ONT (optical network terminal). (Sometimes referred to as an ONU (optical network unit).)
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2022, 11:13:20 PM »

It's also unlikely they will use PPPoE.
They more than likely use IPoE/DHCP.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

Ixel

• Kitizen
« Reply #18 on: June 24, 2022, 11:37:55 PM »

Hi, I thought I'd drop by with an update. I'm unable to edit the original post.

Earlier today I had a phone call from Lightning Fibre finally giving me good news, my street is live. The order process was easy, they had most of my details from the 'register my interest' form ages ago. The only information they needed was for setting up a direct debit, of course. I've been given a fantastic deal on their gigabit package (making the total price per month less than £30/mo compared to the current £44/mo), especially given the lengthy wait and how long I've been out of contract with Cerberus paying a rather high price each month.

I asked how the connection is established, e.g. PPPoE or IPoE. While the person on the phone wasn't certain, they believed like me that it's IPoE. No authentication details are given for the connection, at least I've not seen any on their members portal and had no such details via email. I was also told that they might be re-evaluating their pricing for a static IP address (at £10/mo), as they've observed that it's a fair bit higher than many other ISP's via Openreach's network. At the moment I've not opted for a static IP address, I may not need it even though I use a GRE tunnel (Mikrotik supports using a subdomain/domain name for the 'remote address' on a GRE tunnel so I can likely use DDNS).

They are aware that I will want to use my own router instead of theirs which is fine, they also suggested to make sure that the engineers are aware of this on the day of installation.

By the middle of next month, or sooner if there's an earlier installation slot that becomes available, it should be installed. Once it's done then I can sort out cancelling my FTTP service with Cerberus Networks.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2022, 11:41:44 PM by Ixel »

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #19 on: June 25, 2022, 04:13:23 PM »

Hi, I thought I'd drop by with an update.

Thank you. I was wondering what was the current status with your FTTP service.

Earlier today I had a phone call from Lightning Fibre finally giving me good news, my street is live. The order process was easy, they had most of my details from the 'register my interest' form ages ago. The only information they needed was for setting up a direct debit, of course. I've been given a fantastic deal on their gigabit package (making the total price per month less than £30/mo compared to the current £44/mo), . . .

Good news, indeed.  :)

I asked how the connection is established, e.g. PPPoE or IPoE. While the person on the phone wasn't certain, they believed like me that it's IPoE.

From what I have seen, in my reading, I'm fairly certain that it is IPoE.

Ixel

• Kitizen
« Reply #20 on: June 25, 2022, 05:28:28 PM »

There's only one thing I wasn't aware of until I read a page somewhere on their website. It talks about if you're living in a rented property then permission is needed (a signed wayleave) from the landlord. I wasn't asked about this on the phone either. I rent a house and Openreach never asked for this when I had FTTPoD installed. However, I'll contact my letting agent on Monday and ask them about it, I strongly doubt the landlord will be awkward.

SaltyWagyu

• Just arrived
« Reply #21 on: June 26, 2022, 02:15:45 PM »

They've been very difficult to get any information out of. I asked on their community page two questions https://www.facebook.com/LightningFibreBroadband/posts/989354918426245 after getting no response from the enquiry form, then I emailed them like they asked, still nothing today.

Ixel

• Kitizen
« Reply #22 on: June 26, 2022, 02:39:46 PM »

They've been very difficult to get any information out of. I asked on their community page two questions ... after getting no response from the enquiry form, then I emailed them like they asked, still nothing today.

Not good.

Well, for your second question while I can't say for absolute certain... I highly doubt they would remove the Openreach master socket as they are neither authorised to do so and it's not their 'property'. As for the first question, it remains a mystery for now. I've not had any authentication details (beyond an invitation to access their members portal), I have a feeling that it's IPoE and not PPPoE (which is good as I'd prefer IPoE :)).

When I asked them about using my own router they said that's fine and to mention this to the engineers on the day of installation so that they can assist with getting it working on Lightning Fibre if needed. However I'm fairly certain I can set that up myself, so long as I know the type of connection it makes (presumably IPoE).

The only details mentioned on their members portal are the current IPv4 address, current IPv6 address and current IPv6 prefix which presumably will show some values when the connection is established. Other details are the ID, address, contract end date, scheduled installation date and time, price per month and any discount, install cost, service type, provisioned status, SLA level, static IP status and finally the service type (e.g. Home Hyper Lightning 1000M/1000M for me).
« Last Edit: June 26, 2022, 02:41:49 PM by Ixel »

SaltyWagyu

• Just arrived
« Reply #23 on: June 27, 2022, 06:46:16 PM »

Thanks Ixel, keep us posted on getting it working with your own router  :fingers:

Ixel

• Kitizen
« Reply #24 on: June 28, 2022, 09:36:13 PM »

Thanks Ixel, keep us posted on getting it working with your own router  :fingers:

Will do.

I've also been told today by someone else who's using Lightning Fibre that it's IPoE/DHCP. It's thankfully not PPPoE.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #25 on: June 29, 2022, 02:34:30 AM »

Any telco that is starting from scratch would be crazy to use PPPoE, its only a requirement for legacy reasons on Openreach (so neither OR nor the ISP has to use two different authentication methods across their different packages).

I do wish PPPoE would die, but it seems unlikely any time soon as even if everyone was on fibre it would be a pain getting all the customers to change the settings on their routers.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

Ixel

• Kitizen
« Reply #26 on: July 08, 2022, 11:49:18 PM »

Had a courtesy call earlier today checking if Monday was still fine, which was nice. At first I was slightly worried it might've been a call needing to reschedule the install due to an unforseen circumstance, thankfully not though.

Only a few days to go until the fun begins!

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #27 on: July 09, 2022, 06:36:14 AM »

My anxiety was through the roof once I had the install date, constantly expecting a cancellation.

Unfortunately its how I ended up with the ONT and CSP lower down than I would have liked and a disconnected analog line. I was basically "whatever gets this thing live ASAP", with hindsight I should have marked exactly where I wanted everything.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

Ixel

• Kitizen
« Reply #28 on: July 09, 2022, 09:52:09 AM »

Ouch, yeah I can imagine :D.

Even though I have FTTP with Cerberus Networks I'll be glad when I have Lightning Fibre not just because it's symmetrical but also because they have faster ports at both LINX and LONAP. Cerberus Networks was just 1G each on LINX (until recently perhaps as I now see 10G listed too on their PeeringDB profile). I say this because I've been noticing congestion on LINX (at least perhaps until 10G was listed, haven't really checked again) and LONAP. While Cerberus Networks has 2x 1G's at both internet exchanges, the congestion was still noticeable on traffic which went via those internet exchanges.

This morning I'm working on moving my configuration from one RouterOS installation to another, the idea being that I have a spare RouterOS to configure Lightning Fibre on without interupting the current network. Once I've confirmed I've got it working on that router then I can move most of the configuration back to it again and all being well that's it :fingers:.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2022, 09:54:12 AM by Ixel »

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #29 on: July 09, 2022, 04:11:11 PM »

The countdown has well and truly commenced.  ;)

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

anything