Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: What Email Browsers Do You Use In Linux ?  (Read 4868 times)

tickmike

• Kitizen
  • Yes Another Penguin !. :)
What Email Browsers Do You Use In Linux ?
« on: May 25, 2021, 12:33:44 PM »

Relating to parts of this post https://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php/topic,25778.15.html

I am going to start at last moving a lot of my emails (including setting up for the family email accounts) over to my new domain emails accounts.
What would be nice is to leave all our currents ones in Thunderbird email browser and use a separate email browser for the new accounts, this means I am going to keep my old isp Eclipse/kcom/group 4 account for at lease a year (along with another isp ) to make sure we have not forgot any important emails.

What Email browsers do you use and can you recommend them ?.
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Re: What Email Browsers Do You Use In Linux ?
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2021, 01:29:21 PM »

Why not use Thunderbird for everything? It easily handles and organises several different accounts. I use the filtering capability fairly extensively to move incoming and outgoing emails to local folders.
  Eric

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2021, 04:39:30 PM »

I'll second roseway's suggestion. Thunderbird can be configured for multiple e-mail accounts.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

licquorice

• Reg Member
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2021, 04:50:36 PM »

Agree with the others regarding Thunderbird, however, have a look at Claws Mail https://www.claws-mail.org/ if you want a different mail client.

jelv

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2021, 05:02:38 PM »

What would be nice is to leave all our currents ones in Thunderbird email browser and use a separate email browser for the new accounts, this means I am going to keep my old isp Eclipse/kcom/group 4 account for at lease a year (along with another isp ) to make sure we have not forgot any important emails.

Why?

If you set up the new mailboxes in Thunderbird using IMAP it's a doddle to move emails you want to keep from the old mailboxes to the new mailboxes. I've done that twice in the last few years when I moved my domain from Plusnet to AAISP and then from there to hosting by John.
Broadband and Line rental: Zen Unlimited Fibre 2, Mobile: Vodaphone
Router: Fritz!Box 7530

sdawson35

« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2021, 05:33:24 PM »

Thunderbird gets my vote too

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2021, 07:04:24 PM »

I believe all of the ISP Andrews and Arnold’s staff use Thunderbird on Linux, think it was mentioned somewhere once, a faint recollection.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2021, 07:09:48 PM »

I had no idea Thunderbird was still so popular, thought I was the outlier using it.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

tickmike

• Kitizen
  • Yes Another Penguin !. :)
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2021, 09:30:53 PM »

Yes I think you are right Thunderbird makes more sense, I have 12 accounts in it now and then 12 new ones.
What I can gather you can have 'unlimited' number of accounts in it.

Yes I can see it would be more easy to open an old email then if it needs a reply send a reply with a new email account using the one browsers.
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

jelv

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2021, 10:58:15 PM »

I just had a look to see if there was a limit to the number of thunderbird POP3/IMAP accounts. It's not known if there is, but there are reports of a user with 150!
Broadband and Line rental: Zen Unlimited Fibre 2, Mobile: Vodaphone
Router: Fritz!Box 7530

tubaman

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2021, 09:39:49 AM »

Another happy Thunderbird user here, on both Windows and Linux. I'm sure it'll handle all of your accounts just fine.
BT FTTC 55/10 Huawei Cab - Zyxel VMG8924-B10A

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2021, 09:51:33 AM »

I've been using Thunderbird initially on Windows and now on Linux for over 20 years! I'm sure it will handle it.

Stuart
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

vic0239

• Reg Member
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2021, 10:58:56 AM »

The purists will scream treason, but I use Postbox running under Wine on my Linux system. >:D  I like its style and find it more pleasing on the eye and there are plenty of themes to chose from. To be fair I have used Thunderbird extensively in the past, but find the current releases very flat and difficult to customise with very few ready-made themes. I've spent hours building style sheets, but the end result is never quite right. In terms of functionality Thunderbird is perfectly capable and probably the best native email client on Linux.
Lothian Broadband 900/900 + AAISP VDSL, Vigor2865Vac, MikroTik rb260gsp, ZyXel NWA50AX WiFi AP.

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2021, 12:09:37 PM »

To be fair I have used Thunderbird extensively in the past, but find the current releases very flat and difficult to customise with very few ready-made themes. I

Well to be honest I use an older Thunderbird for those very reasons, I'm still on V60  ::)

Stuart
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

vic0239

• Reg Member
« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2021, 04:29:19 PM »

That's interesting Stuart ... time to experiment. :)
Lothian Broadband 900/900 + AAISP VDSL, Vigor2865Vac, MikroTik rb260gsp, ZyXel NWA50AX WiFi AP.