Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Can isps cap the sync ?  (Read 2064 times)

SE

• Reg Member
Re: Can isps cap the sync ?
« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2021, 07:00:58 AM »

I'm with Ixel, those stats indicate the probability of Interleaving.  As he says, capped rates are usually spot on or a couple of kb below a rounded figure of 38,000 and not above.

- The  SNR Margin is at 6dB meaning there isn't anything left in the line to give a higher sync speed.

- If a line is interleaved most modems show a false & inflated max rate. The different code algorithm causes the modem to calculate the maximum rate correctly.  If interleaving were to be removed, then the max rate would be more in the region of 42500.

The engineer may have reset the DLM when he visited, in which case your line will be interleaved by default, so things may change over the next week as DLM finds the correct level. 

Seeing an increase of the SNRM up to 7.2db doesn't necessarily mean that the line is capped - unless that measurement is taken at the time of sync.    The actual default is 6.3dB and its possible that the line may vary by up to 1dB over the course of the day. The fact you are currently at 6dB indicates that you do have some sort of SNRM fluctuation and have 'lost' 0.3dB since your last sync.

Hi
Yes  interleaving is on

The old router was rubbish on the up as kits got right in a review, TPlink TDW9970
That was a stop gap that I didn't change and has been on its way out for a bit now

The new one is faster but had problems like family filter and Mac block not working so its going back
Tplink VR2100

Could the old router cause some problems, say getting interleaving turned on ? as its been slowing over time

but the drop from 57 to 36 was five mins in and on a on router

Could this be a bad port in the cab, if so would moving to a llu help

The ISP after I said I'm off, started to look more into this and and said it may be that.

The cab was messed up last week by sub contractors, that would explain the drop to 1/20 or less and no internet for a day, but not the speed drop a while ago now

I could get a new line and let this go, surely I'd get a new line and port?

Forgot to say the line IP profile was stuck at 40000 with the router saying 40002, it never went over but after the OR guy came out its at 38000 not over and the line IP profile is 38000 to, dropping when the cab had a fault

« Last Edit: May 27, 2021, 07:19:33 AM by SE »

SE

• Reg Member
« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2021, 11:12:41 AM »

I've got in to telnet at last, more stats but not all of them

So is interleaving off? ISP says on at last look, router says 0

In a Kits review of a TDW 9970 (my old router)
It said this

"upstream power has been choked to just 3.2 dBm"
My new router has a upstream of 5.6, is this normal or a little low

To add, the ISP line estimated length is about 700m, but from the cab to to house is about 400m
The O.R guys at the cab when puting the underground copper lines back underground after a washout in a hillside two years ago said it was right up the hill to us a 400m ish

X_TP_DisableAELEM=0
status=Up
linkEncapsulationRequested=
linkEncapsulationUsed=G.993.2_Annex_K_PTM
modulationType=VDSL2
lineEncoding=
allowedProfiles=8a,8b,8c,8d,12a,12b,17a,30a
currentProfile=
X_TP_VDSLProfiles_8a=1
X_TP_VDSLProfiles_8b=1
X_TP_VDSLProfiles_8c=1
X_TP_VDSLProfiles_8d=1
X_TP_VDSLProfiles_12a=1
X_TP_VDSLProfiles_12b=1
X_TP_VDSLProfiles_17a=1
X_TP_VDSLProfiles_30a=0
dataPath=Fast
interleaveDepth=0
lineNumber=0
upstreamCurrRate=6243
downstreamCurrRate=37453
upstreamMaxRate=6405
downstreamMaxRate=55419
upstreamNoiseMargin=62
downstreamNoiseMargin=60
upstreamAttenuation=288
downstreamAttenuation=154
upstreamPower=56
downstreamPower=57
usNegBandPlanDiscPresentation=0
dsNegBandPlanDiscPresentation=0
SATNus=
SATNds=
LATNus=
LATNds=
SNRMarginus=
SNRMarginds=
transmitPowerUs=
transmitPowerDs=
ATURVendor=
ATURCountry=
ATUCVendor=
ATUCCountry=
totalStart=35
showtimeStart=18
quarterHourStart=0
X_TP_LastUpMoment=132442
X_TP_UpTime=209473
X_TP_Bitswap=On
X_TP_SRA=On
X_TP_AdslModulationCfg=Multimode
X_TP_AnnexType=Annex auto
X_TP_SupportAdslMode=VDSL2:A,B;T1.413:A;G.dmt:A,B;ADSL2:auto,A,B,A/L;ADSL2+:auto,A,B,I,J,M,A/L,B/J,A/I/J/L/M;ADSL Auto Sync-up:auto,A/L,B/J,A/I/J/L/M;Auto Sync-up:auto,A/L,B/J,A/I/J/L/M;
X_TP_EnDTFeatureBits=0
}
cmd:SUCC

ADSL show status
INDEX=1
{                                           enable=1
status=Up
dataPath=Fast
lineNumber=0
lineEncoding=
modulationType=VDSL2
interleaveDepth=0
X_TP_AnnexType=Annex auto
« Last Edit: May 31, 2021, 11:48:57 AM by SE »

Ixel

• Kitizen
« Reply #17 on: June 01, 2021, 07:11:47 PM »

I could be wrong but that output reminds me of a Mediatek chipset. If I'm not wrong though, then I have a theory as to why your max rate is higher despite a 6.2dB SNRM in that snippet you posted.

First however, regarding interleaving, although it doesn't say US/DS... I'd say you're not interleaved.

Code: [Select]
dataPath=Fast
interleaveDepth=0

Regarding why your max rate might be higher than your actual rate. If I'm right about the chipset being Mediatek, I remember a Mediatek device I had a long time ago reporting a higher max rate and it was presumably basing it on if the connection target had a 0dB SNRM (which is stupid to do as most other modems will rightfully calculate it based on your current SNRM target - with the exception for non-G.INP interleaving throwing that value off a bit).

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #18 on: June 02, 2021, 12:38:01 PM »

Output looks like the typical TPlink CLI.

For some reason TPlink remove access to the standard chipset CLI (regardless of make) and replace it with their own custom built CLI. 
Depending upon the actual chipset, not all features in their custom CLI return a value.

One of the things I have observed on their custom f/w is the bitswap function doesn't appear to work how it should.  As a result the SNRM slowly degrades over time    For example the line may lose 0.1dB every couple of days and will continue to fall until sync can no longer be maintained and causing the line to resync...  upon which a new bit allocation is calculated.    I've observed this behaviour on both a TD and VR900.  I reported to TPlink several years ago.   They did have me running some custom f/w to test this and even sent a replacement router as they could see what it what doing, but they never seemed to quite get to the root of the problem.  This is one of a couple of reasons why I relegated my TD9970 to the storage cupboard and its not seen the light of day since. 
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #19 on: June 02, 2021, 10:18:14 PM »

I'm definitely of the view that TP-Link are fine if you pick a model that can run OpenWRT, wouldn't use their stock firmware.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

SE

• Reg Member
« Reply #20 on: June 03, 2021, 05:17:42 AM »

;D
Yes your all spot on, its a tplink vr2100 mediatek chipset
Yep bitswap is on and i think I'll turn it off

It was a quick next day grab, but its the only one i can get stats from  :(

The down speed before O.R came out was 36, now 34, the up was 6, now 5.9
Every tplink ive had has had bad up speed

I grabed a draytek vigor 166 and lastnight got about 28 down and about 7.5 - 8 up

I could do with a good up and down modem/router

Netgear?
Is SRA and bitswap on most routers and are they on OR network

Thanks guys as ever much appreciated  :graduate:

To add, tplink vr2100 sra and bitswap on or off, vdsl2
« Last Edit: June 03, 2021, 05:48:36 AM by SE »

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #21 on: June 03, 2021, 06:51:41 AM »

SRA is only enabled on g.FAST, sadly not on VDSL or ADSL.

Bitswap should be on if it works otherwise the line will just deteriorate over time until it resyncs, as already mentioned above.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

SE

• Reg Member
« Reply #22 on: June 04, 2021, 04:55:34 AM »

Thanks for the info
Even the isp didnt know what sra was

I guess i dont need german telecom optimization ether  :)
Pages: 1 [2]

anything